Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:17 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times

Advertisements

"That former hospital on Hanover street was called St Josephs, my father died there."

the hospital was the Sacred Heart hospital...I had my tonsils removed there. It was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1892.

[SIZE=2]Several hospitals were founded in Manchester in the late 1800's:
- In 1880, a bequest made by Mary Elizabeth Elliot, in memory of her husband, Dr. John Seaver Elliot, made possible the purchase of the land on which Elliot Hospital is located today. In 1890 Elliot Hospital opened its doors (http://www.elliothospital.org/about_us/index.html - broken link) on the east side of Manchester.
- In 1892, the Sisters of Mercy opened Sacred Heart Hospital. Two years later, the Sisters of Charity of St. Hyacinthe opened Notre Dame Hospital, accommodating 30 beds. By 1956, Sacred Heart grew to accommodate 150 beds, and its services expanded to include Our Lady of Perpetual Help Maternity Hospital. At the same time, Notre Dame had grown to 114 beds and, in 1974, Notre Dame and Sacred Heart merged to form Catholic Medical Center. [The old Sacred Heart Hospital building is now used as the Gov. Hugh Gallen Apartments (http://www.manchesterhousing.org/icons/Sites/outgallen.jpg - broken link)].[/SIZE]

HISTORY - Manchester New Hampshire

there is a St. Joseph hospital in Nashua.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
"That former hospital on Hanover street was called St Josephs, my father died there."

the hospital was the Sacred Heart hospital...I had my tonsils removed there. It was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1892.

[SIZE=2]Several hospitals were founded in Manchester in the late 1800's:
- In 1880, a bequest made by Mary Elizabeth Elliot, in memory of her husband, Dr. John Seaver Elliot, made possible the purchase of the land on which Elliot Hospital is located today. In 1890 Elliot Hospital opened its doors (http://www.elliothospital.org/about_us/index.html - broken link) on the east side of Manchester.
- In 1892, the Sisters of Mercy opened Sacred Heart Hospital. Two years later, the Sisters of Charity of St. Hyacinthe opened Notre Dame Hospital, accommodating 30 beds. By 1956, Sacred Heart grew to accommodate 150 beds, and its services expanded to include Our Lady of Perpetual Help Maternity Hospital. At the same time, Notre Dame had grown to 114 beds and, in 1974, Notre Dame and Sacred Heart merged to form Catholic Medical Center. [The old Sacred Heart Hospital building is now used as the Gov. Hugh Gallen Apartments (http://www.manchesterhousing.org/icons/Sites/outgallen.jpg - broken link)].[/SIZE]

HISTORY - Manchester New Hampshire

there is a St. Joseph hospital in Nashua.
Buck you are absolutely correct, for some reason I was thinking Sacred Heart yet typed St Josephs..thanks for the correction! BTW I also had my tonsils removed there, the night before my sister sneaked me in an Italian sub from Christys (?) anyone remember them..on Hanover street just up from Arthurs.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:25 AM

176 posts, read 598,197 times
Anyone know about any current or planned developments in Manchester? Other than that new hospital complex?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 AM

no problem...I hated correcting you, but I had to do it. There is a church next door to the old hospital...maybe that's St. Joe's?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforahome View Post
Anyone know about any current or planned developments in Manchester? Other than that new hospital complex?

Protection of forested urban open space from over-development

Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 AM

McLaine Meadows (not to be confused with McLane Meadows) is the newest development I can think of.

There are a lot of new developments in the Hackett Hill Road area. In addition, there is Grandview Estates, the Lakeside subdivision, Rosecliff, Woodland Pond and Trolley Crossing, to name a few.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:41 AM

BTW I also had my tonsils removed there,

wasn't that a b**ch? My parents never explained what was happening. I thought they were trying to get rid of me...lol I was five. I just didn't understand why they left me in this strange place. Then I looked out of the window and screamed because I was so high off the ground. The nurses came and put me in a CRIB! I vividly remember the terror of the entire experience.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Any of those developments in the downtown area?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:46 AM

no....there is no land in the downtown area available for development.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:46 AM

Ahh...what about this? I don't even know if its current or not, I just stumbled upon it

www.379elm.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire