Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 07:35 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,070,312 times

Advertisements

Since it was a nice day we went on a trip today. The goal was somewhere less than an hour from Nashua, plenty of time spent outdoors, nothing to intense, and with somewhere decent to have lunch...oh- and somewhere we haven't been before (the part that made it hard). So where did we go? Well we actually left our state- but since its so close by I figured I should post it here:

Lowell National Historic Park and it was fantastic! The little visitors center was nice, the walking trails along the canals were great with a lot of great views and history, and the Boott Cotton Mill Museum (sp?) was amazing (seeing those big mill machines running like they did in the early 1900s was really an experience and a half). The park service and the city has done an excellent job with the place and I urge anyone nearby to check it out.

We also took advantage of the towns large Cambodian population...and tried a Cambodian restaurant called Red Rose (it's off Middlesex Road not far from the historic park...you need to drive- but its not far). It was fantastic with a diverse menu where even the less adventurous can find something good. The spicy food was spicy, the sweet food was sweet and overall it was great. Definitely on our top 10 list of restaurants now!

In short I know Lowell gets a bad rep to some degree; but it also has a rich American history that is very enjoyable to learn about (at the museums) and its Cambodian immigrants are very helpful in introducing others to their culture as well. A very worthwhile trip.

Next time we're going to checkout the American Textile Museum, Whistler House Museum of Art, and the Mill Girls & Immigrants museum. The city also seems to have a lot of festivals throughout the year and many art-events such as open studio times on some weekends (some of the old mills are now art studios). Good times, great weekend!

PS: For those unfamiliar with Cambodian food: It seems to have some Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian influences (well, not so much influences as some common ingredients like coconut milk, tamarind, etc); but it really had a lot of unique flavors and some vegetables I've never seen before. The place we went was very authentic but very large/clean/pleasant on the inside as well (you wouldn't know from the storefront). It wasn't "heavy" like Chinese were you feel bad after...but are hungry in 30 minutes- it was good spicy home-cooked food, low on grease and big on flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
A long time ago I helped install a small (500 Kwe) AC generator in the basement of the Atlantic Mill. It was on the National Park tour for a while but I do not think it is currently operating because they stopped maintaining it. Fascinating technology.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:28 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,070,312 times
I saw a good bit of demolition going on in the historic park (not where you visit, but in their boundaries). It appears they are clearing out what is too "gone" to be usable or too costly to repair. We noticed a good bit of the old mills are now very cool offices or condos. When I say "cool" I mean fantastic huge ceilings, massive windows, and neat style.

I believe the same transformation is ongoing in Nashua and Manchester.

My guess is as "inner city" offices become to costly...it (hopefully) will be a boon for these former mill-cities that have actually maintained their mill buildings. Or that's my hope at least, I will say that Lowell is noticeably nicer than when we first visited in 2006...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire