Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 23,633 times

Advertisements

Were looking for some good wildlife viewing opportunities in NH, without going all the way to the Canadian border. Any recommendations? We ultimately are looking to buy a property in a wildlife rich area. Where we can see moose and bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:19 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,154,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanggirl24 View Post
Were looking for some good wildlife viewing opportunities in NH, without going all the way to the Canadian border. Any recommendations? We ultimately are looking to buy a property in a wildlife rich area. Where we can see moose and bear.
We're in Littleton - when we rented we frequently saw turkeys and a beautiful fox. We now live in town, but the back and one side of our property is wooded - we've had deer, moose, turkeys, porcupines, and skunks in our yard....when we had our furnace cleaned, the guy said he saw an ermine in our carport (I didn't see it, don't know if we even have them up here or if I spelled it correctly). We also have a variety of birds and according to a neighbor, fisher cats, but we haven't seen them....yet anyway <g> There are also bears behind us, but we haven't seen them yet, either.

Moose have been seen in downtown Littleton near the river that goes through town, although I've never seen one there, just here in our yard.....

Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,103,889 times
we saw everything in Derry - bear, fox, porcupine, weasel, fishercat, pheasants, quail - the list goes on and on

one morning the kids were waiting at the bus stop and I heard them yelling...very unusual. I looked out to see what the commotion was and witnessed a bull moose walking passed them and continuing down the road behind them as if they didn't exist.

pretty cool

My daughter lives in Manchester on the hooksett line - hackett hill road area and she took pictures of fox and a bear meandering right behind her apartment. So IMO, it doesn't matter where you are in NH, wildlife is always around.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:37 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,063,786 times
The largest population of moose and black bear with the exception of pittsburgh is the section of I93 holderness north to Littleton mostly due to the sandwich notch range and the presidential range of the white mountain national forest ideal habitat and not too built up, in this area if you left a bird feeder out after winter the bears will show up soon, I had some guests up over the summer and the threw a garbage bag on the front porch - that night a bear was there. the local resturaunt dumpsters are always a favorite snack. I usually average about 4 bear sightings in my yard a year 6 or so moose sightings , there is a small herd of deer that live in the area almost nightly basis, and a fox, coyotes, fisher cats, porcupine, weasels, lots of turkey, and a very rare glimpse of a bobcat is possible. if I go out moose watching midweek may to july I see moose about 50% of the time.. pittsburgh however 100% of the time . the biggest thing is knowing where and when to find them

Old 02-23-2009, 01:19 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,047,716 times
You may find the NH Audubon Society Centers interesting:
N.H. Audubon Locations (http://www.nhaudubon.org/locations.html - broken link)

Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 PM

8 posts, read 23,633 times
Thanks so much everyone. Much appreciated!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire