Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:41 AM

78 posts, read 348,347 times

Advertisements

After researching long and hard, my fiancee and I have finally decided to relocate to NH. But, we have no idea on which cities or towns we may like, so we are looking for suggestions. I'm 26 and she is 23. She is a Surgical Technologist, also studying to become an RN, and we are both vegan. Also, we like alot of nature, taking hikes in the woods, mountain biking, etc. Please suggest some areas that have medical jobs, would be vegan friendly (farmer's markets, co-ops, natural/organic food stores, veg* friendly restaurants), and also have a lot of nature and recreation options. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Hanover? You've got the Mary Hitchock (Dartmouth) hospital right there, you've got Dartmouth right there, so you might do better with the vegan/organic aspects (a little tough in a hunting state - and yes, even the democrats have guns -but you don't have to if you don't wan to!). And it's in a lovely area for lots of outdoor sports, and right near VT for even more hiking and fishing and such. And not far from the Lakes for boating and fishing and hiking.....

Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
(a little tough in a hunting state - and yes, even the democrats have guns -but you don't have to if you don't wan to!).
I'm definitly not anti-gun. Everyone has the right to protect themselves and their property. Plus, I enjoy shooting at the gun range. :-)

Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 AM

I forgot to mention, and I'm not sure if it is all that relavent or not, but we'll be looking to rent a nice apartment at first, at least for the first year or two. Afterwards, we'll most likely look into buying a house on some land.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph83 View Post
After researching long and hard, my fiancee and I have finally decided to relocate to NH. But, we have no idea on which cities or towns we may like, so we are looking for suggestions. I'm 26 and she is 23. She is a Surgical Technologist, also studying to become an RN, and we are both vegan. Also, we like alot of nature, taking hikes in the woods, mountain biking, etc. Please suggest some areas that have medical jobs, would be vegan friendly (farmer's markets, co-ops, natural/organic food stores, veg* friendly restaurants), and also have a lot of nature and recreation options. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Littleton Regional Hospital seems to have openings frequently and seems to be "growing" - quite a few new physicians have been added just since we've been here (since 2006) - Littleton Regional Hospital

There is a lot of nature up this way. We have a farmer's market from late spring to October (?). A food co-op is going to be operational in the spring - Littleton Consumer Cooperative Society, Inc.

For more on Littleton, here's another site: http://www.golittleton.com/

Old 02-24-2009, 11:38 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph83 View Post
I'm definitly not anti-gun. Everyone has the right to protect themselves and their property. Plus, I enjoy shooting at the gun range. :-)
I'm sorry, it wasn't exactly fair of me. I was funning on an old post that someone from CA made (who was vegan), who had moved her whole family out here and then was appalled at the hunting culture, and was screaming 'even the democrats have guns!!'. My DH still laughs over that post. He's also not a hunter, but enjoys target shooting - we'll have to find a range when we move up, or he'll just make one in the yard.

But seriously, I think maybe hanover might be a good area to consider, and with Dartmouth around you're more likely to find the organic and vegan style places.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Not sure if children could be in your future (want good schools in the area) or how much you enjoy being closer to an urban environment as well- but you may want to check out the areas surrounding Nashua (namely Hollis & Brookline). There are several medical facilities in/around Nashua & Manchester that would make for a very simple/quick commute as well.

Excellent schools, within an hour (off rush-hour) of Boston; but lots of agriculture (and accompanying farm stands), hiking/snow-shoeing, etc. Not AS natural as up north (some areas outside Hanover are pretty isolated...but you also have proximity to more urban areas should you desire as well as rural/natural (Mt. Monadnock is nearby...and I can make it up to the whites- hike all day, and get back...easily on a Saturday). The coast & Portsmouth is also within an hour (or less).

Just a thought.

My wife and I are 28/27 and NOT urban-dwellers by any means; but we still put some value on proximity to a major city (not to mention career options).

Old 02-24-2009, 12:26 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
I definitely agree with the recommendation for the Hanover / Lebanon area. It sounds just like what you're looking for, even if it is (in my opinion) a bit isolated.

I think the Keene area might be worth looking into as well. Heck, there are lots of places in NH that fit your description.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,114 times
I've always liked concord as a downtown, little bit of nightlife , good shopping , resturaunt choices, and my wife had both our children at the hospital and give it very high ranks, there are a lot of satellite medical centers like mary hitchcook right near hospital. and if you go a few towns north a very rural country feel such as canterbury, sanbornton, and I'd even say meredith and holderness would be commutable and from those communities you'd be able to enjoy a lot of outdoor activities

Old 02-25-2009, 05:09 AM

What about Concord, Hopkinton, Milford, Stratham, or Swanzey? I read that these towns all have birthing centers, which is imprtant since when we have children we want them to be natural waterbirths, so being fairly close to a birthing center would be important. Maybe there are other towns with birth centers I don't know about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire