Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:00 AM

23 posts, read 94,786 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Salem, Virginia.

I'm tired of the south, and its hellish-hot climate and the unpleasant people. I've been here most of my life and I've never liked it much. I've been looking for awhile at places in the Northeast, and New Hampshire seems to be closest to what I'm looking for.

My situation and short-term goal is pretty simple: I wish to relocate mostly for the hell of it. I'd like to find a place that isn't overly-urban, but not quite the sticks (not yet, anyway). Ideally, it would be a place where I can get a two-bedroom apartment for under $900, and close to a good community college. I'm not married, I have no kids, I'm young and mostly unattached. I'm not terribly concerned about recreation, since I can be creative if I need it and I don't mind traveling to find it. I have a friend who is willing to go anywhere, so the roommate bit is covered. I would like to be out of here by the end of the year (November is my ostensible goal).

I'm hoping that I can find such a place and establish myself, get a degree in a few years and buy a house in the northern part of the state, if I find that New Hampshire is to my liking. I've found surprisingly little in the way of good resources online so far, so I'm hoping that I can get suggestions from the people whose opinions count for the most.

Any help and information is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 03:17 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,781 times
You could try looking around the Keene (southwest part of the state) or Plymouth (central NH) areas where the University of New Hampshire has campuses. Both are in beautiful sections of the state, and should have relatively affordable rents because they house lots of students.

There isn't a strong community college system in this state of the sort they have in places like California, where you'll see small campuses, 2 year programs, and very low tuition--at least they used to be like that in the past. I haven't been there (CA) in years, so my info could be very out of date. The only community colleges I found in New Hampshire when doing a Google search were the NH Technical Institute with campuses in Concord, Manchester, Nashua, Berlin, Claremont, and Laconia; and Hesser College with locations in Manchester, Concord, Nashua, Salem, and Portsmouth (another great place for singles).

When you get away from the college towns, I've found the smaller NH towns to be very family-oriented and absolutely wonderful places to bring up kids, but with not too much to offer to single people.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other opinions, though.

~clairz

Old 03-25-2007, 04:35 AM

205 posts, read 946,780 times
There are 12 New Hampshire Community Technical Colleges throughout the state: In Portsmouth (Pease), Stratham, Nashua, Derry, Manchester, Laconia, Concord, Keene, Claremont, Woodsville, Littleton and Berlin. The Stratham and Portsmouth campuses are on the seacoast and will merge as one in 2009 to be located in the Pease Trade Port in Portsmouth.

Here's a link to the state's site: http://www.nh.gov/nhctc/ (broken link)

There are a wide variety of programs for both traditional and non-tradition students and after graduation, the majority of the students eventually transfer into a four-year program. You can take classes as needed or enroll as a full or part-time student.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2007, 05:32 AM

48 posts, read 162,649 times
Keene, NH has Keene State College. It's a small but thriving area, has lots to do and a great number of young, apparently unattached people.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:03 AM

17 posts, read 121,503 times
Try going to www.sentinelsource.com for the local Keene newspaper. You may find apartment rental prices as well as local news and jobs. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2007, 09:20 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,624 times
These last 2 post are from VT and Massachusetts. They are well informed about a Liberal part about NH ( Keene) The info is true but it is a VERY LIBERAL part of NH Just so you know in Advance. Vermont and Massachusetts Are very liberal states so they tend to send people to liberal parts of our state. Be cautious if you are more Libertarian or Conservative as Keene is a crunchy, in your face, support us liberal area. Not for the truely Open minded or less goverment type. As they are Neither in the Keene area.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:50 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
So where would you send a non-crunchy, libertarian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
These last 2 post are from VT and Massachusetts. They are well informed about a Liberal part about NH ( Keene) The info is true but it is a VERY LIBERAL part of NH Just so you know in Advance. Vermont and Massachusetts Are very liberal states so they tend to send people to liberal parts of our state. Be cautious if you are more Libertarian or Conservative as Keene is a crunchy, in your face, support us liberal area. Not for the truely Open minded or less goverment type. As they are Neither in the Keene area.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:58 PM

17 posts, read 121,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Okay...Yes I am from Massachusetts, but I based my message on the previous messages mentioning of Keene...based on colleges and rent. Had nothing to do with how liberal or crunchy I am...Just familiar with the area and thought the link to local paper may help.

You sound a little closed minded, perhaps a little insecure?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymall View Post
Okay...Yes I am from Massachusetts, but I based my message on the previous messages mentioning of Keene...based on colleges and rent. Had nothing to do with how liberal or crunchy I am...Just familiar with the area and thought the link to local paper may help.

You sound a little closed minded, perhaps a little insecure?
Sorry I didn't mean for it to sound as if you where a crunchy. Even if you are that is your thing not mine. I was just trying to let the person know that that is a Very Liberal part of the state. It just seems every time a VT or Mass person recommends an area of our state the tell the people about the liberal parts and that is it. When in Fact most of the state is Independent with a libertarian mind set. Most leaning more toward the Conservative side of tax and spending. Alot of people know this and that is why they move to NH. Unlike the other New England states NH is Very NON Liberal, In general. We have pockets here but mainly overflow from VT Brattleboro area and Mass in the Derry-Hudson, And Portsmouth area's. But the rest of the state is not like these people or does it have there mentalities. NH is a Live Free or Die State. Just don't live off our taxes. or Cram your belief down our throats as the liberals Try to do.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
So where would you send a non-crunchy, libertarian?
Milford, Concord,
Stratham, Northwood, Littleton, Ya Defiantly Littleton. Want a few more? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire