U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 27,953 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation...

My car failed for state inspection in NH twice! The first time they told me it was the right rear break caliper that failed and they told me to have it repaired and they will ensure that the right rear break is working before passing the inspection. Before returning the second time I called the place to make the appointment with the same person that inspected my car because they told me it is the law to bring it back at the same place where your car got inspected and it has to be with the same person that inspected your car. They told me that he will be available and I can just come by, no appt needed. So I went to have it reinspected and they told me that I should have made an appt because he's all booked for the day. I was upset and I explained to them what they have told me before. They finally took my car to get inspected and after an hour later they told my car failed again and this time is something wrong with the breaks and they couldn't determine what it was. Again, I have to bring my car to another mechanic and the mechanic told me there is nothing wrong with my break. I felt as though the workers at the location of the inspection failed the vehicle the second time were doing it because i did not give them my business on the break job or that I was being lied to.

Now my question is do I have to bring my car back at the same place to have it inspected as they have informed that it is the law in NH to bring the car back at the same place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 32,565 times
Wow...sounds like you had a very bad day! I'm new here in town Nashua so I can't really answer your question..sorry =( but I would love to know the answer to you question...it would be very helpful to all of us that's new to NH =)

Old 03-15-2009, 03:04 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,285,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3c1l14 View Post
Here is my situation...

My car failed for state inspection in NH twice! The first time they told me it was the right rear break caliper that failed and they told me to have it repaired and they will ensure that the right rear break is working before passing the inspection. Before returning the second time I called the place to make the appointment with the same person that inspected my car because they told me it is the law to bring it back at the same place where your car got inspected and it has to be with the same person that inspected your car. They told me that he will be available and I can just come by, no appt needed. So I went to have it reinspected and they told me that I should have made an appt because he's all booked for the day. I was upset and I explained to them what they have told me before. They finally took my car to get inspected and after an hour later they told my car failed again and this time is something wrong with the breaks and they couldn't determine what it was. Again, I have to bring my car to another mechanic and the mechanic told me there is nothing wrong with my break. I felt as though the workers at the location of the inspection failed the vehicle the second time were doing it because i did not give them my business on the break job or that I was being lied to.

Now my question is do I have to bring my car back at the same place to have it inspected as they have informed that it is the law in NH to bring the car back at the same place.

Auto Inspections, New Hampshire Consumer's Sourcebook Consumer Protection - NHDOJ (http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/auto_inspec.html - broken link)

Old 03-15-2009, 04:53 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,217,255 times
You do not have to bring your car back to the original inspection station after the repairs have been made.
If you bring it to another inspection station you will be charged for another inspection though.
If you bring it back to the original inspection station and the defects they originally found are repaired, they will put a sticker on it for you at no additional charge.
Sounds like these guys are just looking to make an extra buck.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:10 PM

1,771 posts, read 4,806,017 times
It sounds to me like they are trying to rip you off as well. There is no "law" that you have to return to the original inspection station or individual as bignhfamily said. Likewise they should have been able to explain EXACTLY why you failed not just "uhh, something with the brakes".

It is probably worth the inspection fee to take your business elsewhere.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:37 PM

257 posts, read 588,000 times
Inspections are not worth it. Other states that require these inspections create countless problems with commuters. I was confused and doubtful when I heard that the liberals in the Legislature were "anti-car, anti-home ownership, and anti-family," since this made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I started getting more involved in state and local politics and, sure enough, liberal politicians were doing everything they could to make life difficult for home owners, business owners, car owners, and parents.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:40 PM

1,771 posts, read 4,806,017 times
maxxoccupancy- unfortunately unless the OP wants a ticket...their car still needs a valid inspection sticker. We don't want to confuse the OP into thinking they are somehow "optional".

Old 03-16-2009, 12:40 PM

148 posts, read 371,464 times
I will be moving to NH and have a 1995 truck. The 'Service Engine' light has been on for the past 10 years. Nothing I do makes it go away. The truck has a new engine and transmission but the light is still there. Now just recently the ABS light has come on. I went to a dealership and they said a sensor on one of the wheels needed to be replaced at a cost of $500. I did not get it fixed. The regular brakes are fine and the brake pads and shoes were replaced about 2 years ago. Do I have any chance of getting this truck passed with these lights coming on?

Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 PM

215 posts, read 557,104 times
Hey MtDreamer,

I have a 1995 pick-up with almost 200000 miles on it. My service engine light has been on for years as well as my abs light just within the last 6 months. I am still able to get an inspection sticker. It also has to do with the sensors. If the truck is a 95 or older it doesn't have to go on the computer for an inspection.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:26 PM

148 posts, read 371,464 times
Thanks Colebrook. That's good to know. My truck is headed to 300000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>