Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:00 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback - that's what my family said too but it was hard to believe when it's been so warm and sunny lately! But it sounds like they were absolutely right.

So if I can't transplant until Memorial Day, when should I start my seeds indoors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
Thanks for the feedback - that's what my family said too but it was hard to believe when it's been so warm and sunny lately! But it sounds like they were absolutely right.

So if I can't transplant until Memorial Day, when should I start my seeds indoors?
If you have a greenhouse I would start immediately. However, if you are going to start growing them inside and then transplant them outside I would wait a couple of weeks?

Old 03-21-2009, 10:39 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
I WISH we could be confident that NH has had it's last frost, but I doubt very much we've had our last snowstorm! We're in the middle of a very important season right now--maple syrup season. For that we need COLD nights and warm days, just like we're having. As you have already read, plant out date around here is Memorial Day weekend, unless you have a warming method such as Walls of Water or maybe a cold frame.

Depending on what sort of fruit trees you have, you may have missed the time for pruning this year. Many varieties of apples are done in January/February, while we're still having cold days. If you prune now, you might start the growing process, and a cold snap will kill off that precious new growth. I recommend watching the orchards in town to see when THEY prune. After all, they're dealing with a crop

I'll be starting my sugar snap peas tomorrow, and hopefully we'll get a couple pickings in before they die off in the June heat. They don't like to be moved once they are established, so they are directly planted into 5-gallon buckets. Sugar snaps are great for kids to pick and eat. In fact I don't think I've ever actually cooked one, as they are so good right off the vine.

As far seed starting, I try to start as close to April 1 as possible, reason being that if you have seedlings growiing inside for much longer than 6 weeks, they tend to get 'leggy' rather than 'bushy'. Of course that's just my experience and YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
Yes, we're getting excited too and have bought a bunch of seeds and some indoor seed starter sets. I was talking with someone who works at Lull Farm today and she said they already planted their raspberries. I need to learn more about our fruit trees and see if they need to be pruned.

Are we pretty confident that southern NH has had its last frost?

Last edited by Valerie C; 03-21-2009 at 11:03 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 07:51 AM

Thanks, that's really helpful. No greenhouse, unfortunately (I wish!). So it sounds like if I'm aiming to transplant at the end of May and I don't want my seeds inside longer than 6 weeks, I shouldn't start anything inside until mid-April?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:34 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I guess I sort of get a 2 for 1 because I grow a lot of vegetables and fruits along with buying the CSA shares. I really don't trust the FDA after the last peanut samonella outbreak The more local foods that I buy the fresher they will be. Another added benefit is that you are indirectly reducing pollution by purchasing locally instead of depending on produce trucked in from much longer distances.
Thanks for the tip on the tomatoes.
I agree GS, and there is also the positive economic impact it has on your hometown/county/state, instead of some outfit outside the country.
Happy Gardening.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Here are some of the other threads on NH gardening, I think there were both flower and veggie garden discussion and pictures too

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...ng-season.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...nh-garden.html

Wondering if anyone else had SNOWFLAKES coming down today???

Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Wondering if anyone else had SNOWFLAKES coming down today???
Val - Somewhere around noon yesterday I looked out the window and it was snowing like crazy up here in Littleton - a little while later, the sun came out and was out the rest of the day

Old 03-23-2009, 05:23 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Yes-we had that crazy weather here too. The first part was mostly flurries. The second part-a couple of hours later- was heavy snow-almost squall-like and it lasted a while. It covered my deck and the road completely but luckily had melted in a few hours.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 AM

It snowed here too - just pretty flurries that didn't stick at all. My relatives visiting from the Deep South were excited.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times
Just a heads up that Costco has some pretty good deals right now on some gardening supplies- I noticed a composter and greenhouse (small one) specifically.

Mods: feel free to delete if this is considered advertising, but I'm just sharing info I found while searching for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire