Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 PM

18 posts, read 85,728 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about relocating up to either Hollis or Bedford from Long Island and are wondering if the schools have any after school programs for working parents? Also, do these towns have any town sponsored summer camps and if so what are they like? Our kids are 8 and 5 and we are hoping to move up there late spring or early summer depending on when we can find jobs up there. Any other information on these towns would be very much appreciated. I believe Bedford has a town pool, do they offer swimming lessons there. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:58 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
Bedford and Hollis are very different. Bedford is very nice but more suburban and more oriented toward Manchester while Hollis is very nice but more agricultural/rural and oriented toward Boston (but don't confuse rural with "in the styx"- I just mean more farm stands and woods and the like). Both offer quick convenience to shopping.

You mention work- if Boston, MA, or Logan Airport is included in that work; then I'd suggest Hollis because it will save you a significant amount of time.

I have heard excellent things about both school districts, Hollis is considered (word on the street only) better I guess- but anyone I've talked to with kids is happy in both places.

We prefer Hollis- but that's because it's closer to work, more farmy/cute, and we like Nashua over Manchester.

I'd suggest visiting both.

While I don't know too much about the children's programs- there are a good number of family friendly events in Hollis (from snow-shoeing in the winter...to Old Home Days...to apply picking...to swimming in Silver Lake). Likewise if it doesn't exist in Hollis- Nashua is only 5-10 minues away and it probably exists there!

Oh...and you'll find the pizza at the Monument Square Market in Hollis is very much like that in NY/NJ (I grew up in NJ and FINALLY found familiar pizza).

Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,508 times
Hollis offers lots of public kids' programs like art classes at Lawrence Barn, tee-ball, library storytime (with variations for older kids like teen movie night, board games and popcorn for big kids, etc), movies and special events. Lots of families participate in classes through private clubs like Boy/Girl Scouts, 4H and Beaver Brook, the conservation woods. Many more travel to neighboring towns for soccer, music, karate or anything else you can think of. Beaver Brook does offer summer camp:

Summer Youth Program (http://www2.beaverbrook.org/bbsummer.htm - broken link)

There are tons of other camps nearby if you're willing to drive a bit:

- Hampshire Hills, a private club in Milford (one town away) that also offers lots of kids' classes:

Hampshire Hills Sports and Fitness Club

- YMCA in Merrimack or Nashua

- Pine Hill in Wilton (further away but supposed to be good)

Summer Programs (http://www.pinehill.org/SummerPrograms/tabid/327/Default.aspx - broken link)

I don't think the schools offer after-care.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:29 PM

880 posts, read 2,860,842 times
I grew up in Bedford and the schools were top notch. The pubic pool did have swimming lessons back when I was there in the 1980's. Not sure if they still do or not.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:37 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,323,302 times
[quote=BF66389;8035813]Bedford and Hollis are very different. Bedford is very nice but more suburban and more oriented toward Manchester while Hollis is very nice but more agricultural/rural and oriented toward Boston (but don't confuse rural with "in the styx"- I just mean more farm stands and woods and the like). Both offer quick convenience to shopping.

You mention work- if Boston, MA, or Logan Airport is included in that work; then I'd suggest Hollis because it will save you a significant amount of time.

I have heard excellent things about both school districts, Hollis is considered (word on the street only) better I guess- but anyone I've talked to with kids is happy in both places.

We prefer Hollis- but that's because it's closer to work, more farmy/cute, and we like Nashua over Manchester.

I'd suggest visiting both.

While I don't know too much about the children's programs- there are a good number of family friendly events in Hollis (from snow-shoeing in the winter...to Old Home Days...to apply picking...to swimming in Silver Lake). Likewise if it doesn't exist in Hollis- Nashua is only 5-10 minues away and it probably exists there!

Oh...and you'll find the pizza at the Monument Square Market in Hollis is very much like that in NY/NJ (I grew up in NJ and FINALLY found familiar pizza).[/QUOTE]

If you are ever up north and passing through Lincoln, then give Elvio's a try. Great pizza-similar to what I had living in NJ. I am fortunate that I don't live too far because it is really the only pizza that I like up here.

The next time we are in the Nashua area, I think we will swing by and check out the Monument Square Market- I am always happy to find a good pizza place.

Last edited by nicolem; 03-25-2009 at 02:49 PM..

Old 03-25-2009, 03:12 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,037 times
Have you considered Amherst? It is located between Hollis and Bedford. The website for the school system: www.sprise.com
There are summer camps at the Peabody Mill Environmental Center:
Peabody Mill Environmental Center
For a pool, most people who live in Amherst belong to either Hampshire Hills in Milford (Hampshire Hills Sports and Fitness Club) or Jasper Valley (Jasper Valley Swim & Tennis Club - Amherst, New Hampshire; probably better if you want to meet people in Amherst). Both have swim lessons....

Old 03-25-2009, 04:36 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,508 times
Yes the pizza at the Monument Square Market IS really good - we have lived in NYC as well and while it's not John's, it's yummy! We are regulars. Their sandwiches are really good too. Definitely worth a visit.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:52 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
Back to the OP:

ALSM- there you have it: Hollis has a good pizza place. Decision made.

Nicolem- definitely, we get up through that way a good bit once I start hiking again (spring/summer/fall)- I'll give it a shot for sure.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 PM

909 posts, read 3,362,417 times
I heard some rumors that there won't/might not be swimming lessons this year at the Bedford town pool, because of low enrollment or something. But it appears that their all swim hours are expanding from last year, which is good. I also see that the Joppa Hill Farm has summer camp for kids ages 4-13, so I'm really looking forward to next summer when my older dd will be able to go.

Some working moms I know have their kids go to Kindercare for afterschool care. They really like it because the kids get picked up after school or camp and taken to Kindercare, where they can be picked up by the parent after work. This is for young children though. Joppa Hill Farm also has some weekly after school camp during the month of April.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,479 times
Good God, the Monument Square pizza is NY/NJ good?? Never would have guessed, thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire