Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcrimefighter View Post
I was looking at houses on the computer in Dover and North Hamptons,NH so had said that you could walk to beaches and towns???
You can walk to the beach in North Hampton, Dover to my knowledge has no beach, it does have Dover point, which has a lovely park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 07:21 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Quote:
So if I'm looking for an ocean beach town should look more into Maine or Rhode Island instead.CONFUSED
well, you'd have more choice if you did. Or MA - lots of towns along Cape Cod.
Here, go to nhtowns you'll want to save it off so you can zoom in and see the town nimes big enough to read. You'll see there are maybe 8 towns that actually front onto the ocean. Once you get used to looking at the town outlines, you can also see the big lakes (very irregular in shape) and you'll know what towns front on them. You can always start with the few towns that front the ocean and check out their websites, and whatever NH Community Profiles (http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm - broken link) has to say about them. You can even check out what's available for rent or sale at nneren.com I'm just saying, NH has a lot of great things, but it doesn't have a lot of coastline

Old 03-29-2009, 07:22 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,732 times
If you would consider Massachusetts, there are places like Gloucester, Marblehead, Salem, Saugus, Lynn, Swampscott. Gloucester in particular has two nice public beaches and a private gated beach few know about and one of the nicest beaches in Mass, NH or Maine, but you will need a very healthy check book for any of these areas. Of course there is also Cape Code, miles of beaches.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:36 PM

28 posts, read 66,505 times
WannaComeHome your location says your stuck in md we were first considering the eastern shore,Maryland we took a couple of trips down there but after reading reveiws it sounds like alot of traffic and locals don't want city folk there plus ocean city,md is a big resort area and thats not what we' re looking for so thats why we decided to look up north seeking out smaller beach towns and we love the ocean thanks for everyones help we will be looking up in the New England region for a good schools and quiet living but also the beach fun that my family enjoys.(suggestions still appreciated.)RI,NH,ME

Old 03-29-2009, 07:49 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Any beach town will have a good amount of traffic in the summer. You might want to look at towns that have "residents only" beaches. Keep in mind that the water is much COLDER the father up the coast you go.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:11 PM

Is there any "resident only" beaches in ME,NH,RI?????????

Old 03-29-2009, 08:20 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Quote:
WannaComeHome your location says your stuck in md we were first considering the eastern shore,Maryland we took a couple of trips down there but after reading reveiws it sounds like alot of traffic and locals don't want city folk there plus ocean city,md is a big resort area and thats not what we' re looking for
Yup, I'm stuck down here. for a little while longer anyway. We've got our property all set for building though, once we can move up. yeah, eastern shore is nice, the towns can be nice and slowpaced, but... once summer hits those beach towns, look out! Traffic is backed up for hours on the few bridges across the bay with all the people trying to get there. I've only been once in the 28 years I've lived here, it wasn't fun. Way too much congestion (took us 5 hours to get there, and I only live between Baltimore & DC!)

So.. I'm noticing in the states you're looking at, you're not considering MA at all. There are some great beach towns there, and some are private areas with summer (and a few year round) houses. Why is MA out, but RI in? can't be cost, RI is pretty expensive from what I've heard.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 PM

MA is not out,we just did not check into it because someone had told us that all the beach towns were super expensive there.....

Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
X, you ought to just take some time and tool around a bit and learn more for yourself about the areas you're asking about. I see you're inquiring re a few states and not Cape Cod or Ma coast in general because 'someone' told you all the coastal towns of Ma are expensive. Such hogwash. You need some boots on the ground research of your own to narrow things down imo. Each state you're inquiring about has different qualities in their beach areas.

If you're coming from Philly, it's an entire life altering move to come to New England. You'd do youself better service to come see if that lifestyle suits you and your family.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:22 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
both of those towns are located directly on the coast....North Hampton has a fairly large beach area. NH only has 18 miles of ocean beach front total. There are a lot of homes for sale in the beach area, but not many with acreage unless you are ready to pay millions.

Real estate is expensive at the beach, especially if you want acreage. As someone else pointed out already, you can get to the beach in a 1/2 hour from half the state of NH. So look more inland for land with acreage that is affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire