Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,219,850 times

Advertisements

Your father was a wise man.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,456,623 times
Bravo!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,998,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
Whether or not anyone "deserves" anything is irrelevant. That is simply an emotional judgement that you are making. It is truly irrelevant. If people can afford to buy or own a home then they should do so if they wish. If they cannot then they should simply not own one.

Nobody "deserves" anything. Ever. Period.
You don't feel that you deserve the house/abode that you worked hard to get and now live in?

Old 06-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
May I? I think what you mean is that they deserve the right to own a home (within their means - MO).

While 'deserve' is a verb, it's kinda needs a qualifier or many people these days take the word to mean 'are owed'. I personally agree that such people (ok, anyone) deserves the right to own a house. As long as it's a house they can afford. No one 'deserves' a house more than they can afford, just because they want it (wouldn't that be nice!). Which points to people deserve the right to live where they can afford, not just anywhere they want just because they want it. Just because you like a particular town (or even grew up there) doesn't automatically mean you 'deserve' to buy a house there if you can't afford the mortgage and/or the taxes.

Many homeowners COULD WELL afford their prop taxes when the taxes were in relation to real income, not jumping up by a third or more with overrides, etc. I guess we'll see what happens to the current affluents who lose their jobs, or grow old on reduced income, in "nice" areas that already have ridiculous rates of taxes. I hope that those criticizing others for not being wealthy homeowners (deserving or not, that's not the point) never get their comeuppance...

Now, a real question....are there override votes about to happen in NH?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:18 PM

10,046 posts, read 15,715,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Many homeowners COULD WELL afford their prop taxes when the taxes were in relation to real income, not jumping up by a third or more with overrides, etc. I guess we'll see what happens to the current affluents who lose their jobs, or grow old on reduced income, in "nice" areas that already have ridiculous rates of taxes. I hope that those criticizing others for not being wealthy homeowners (deserving or not, that's not the point) never get their comeuppance...

Now, a real question....are there override votes about to happen in NH?
New Hampshire doesn't have Prop. 2 1/2 like you and I are used to in Massachusetts...

Old 06-08-2009, 06:25 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,048,997 times
Quote:
"Such people" -- implies the less affluent?
reading into things a bit are we? since I hadn't specified who 'such people' were, it should refer back to the people you mentioned who were
"EVERYONE who works at a job, esp those who work hard for a living" I don't think that implies anything about affluence - just working hard.

Quote:
Deserve is not a right. It means "to be worthy for some reward" (Websters)....It means if I do "A" really well and diligently and save for "B," I deserve "B" (of course, within my means). Deserve is an outcome of effort.
yes, I know the meaning of 'deserve', I looked up the definition as well. The phrase I should have used was "deserves the opportunity to own a house" as it has been correctly pointed out that the main 'rights' are life, liberty and the pursuit (meaning opportunity) of happiness.

Yes, sometimes bad things happen to good people. There's no way really to stop that (well maybe: move to MA or down here to MD both states seem to think they should nanny everyone). It s^cks when it happens. That's not a good enough reason to go around insisting that everyone has a right to live anywhere they want just because they want it. Hey, I'd love a mansion in Beverly Hills, with a swimming pool and many other neat amenities. I'm a good person, we've worked hard, paid our taxes - that fact that not only could we never afford the mansion let alone the taxes and the general CoL there is immaterial.. we're owed a place of our choosing just because! And therefore Beverly Hills ought to provide what we want where we want it

BTW, did you know that most towns in NH have a tax subsidy for seniors and vets? You just have to apply for it (and qualify for your income level). Sounds like affordable housing has already been somewhat considered - even in the higher end towns.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:38 AM

625 posts, read 2,437,754 times
Quote:
You don't feel that you deserve the house/abode that you worked hard to get and now live in?
Depends on what you mean by "deserve", like it's some sort of God-given right.

EARNED is a more appropriate word.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:01 AM

202 posts, read 505,975 times
Quote:
I don't feel that I "deserve" anything. If I can pay for it then it's mine. If I can't then I don't own it. It's really that simple. It's not about how you feel emotionally about something, it's about whether or not you can pay for what you want. If you can't then you must live without it.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
reading into things a bit are we? since I hadn't specified who 'such people' were, it should refer back to the people you mentioned who were
"EVERYONE who works at a job, esp those who work hard for a living" I don't think that implies anything about affluence - just working hard.

yes, I know the meaning of 'deserve', I looked up the definition as well. The phrase I should have used was "deserves the opportunity to own a house" as it has been correctly pointed out that the main 'rights' are life, liberty and the pursuit (meaning opportunity) of happiness.

Yes, sometimes bad things happen to good people. There's no way really to stop that (well maybe: move to MA or down here to MD both states seem to think they should nanny everyone). It s^cks when it happens. That's not a good enough reason to go around insisting that everyone has a right to live anywhere they want just because they want it. Hey, I'd love a mansion in Beverly Hills, with a swimming pool and many other neat amenities. I'm a good person, we've worked hard, paid our taxes - that fact that not only could we never afford the mansion let alone the taxes and the general CoL there is immaterial.. we're owed a place of our choosing just because! And therefore Beverly Hills ought to provide what we want where we want it

BTW, did you know that most towns in NH have a tax subsidy for seniors and vets? You just have to apply for it (and qualify for your income level). Sounds like affordable housing has already been somewhat considered - even in the higher end towns.
Within one's means, as I've clearly stated.

Thanks for the info on the tax subsidy for seniors and vets. And while I'm at it, anyone who serves their country in the armed forces DESERVES a home when (and if they're lucky enough) to return.

NH is a beautiful state with a lot going for it, in many ways more than Mass. I agree.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:07 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,219,850 times
Quote:
Quote:
Within one's means, as I've clearly stated.
No you clearly stated "deserved". You don't deserve it if you CAN NOT afford it.

Can you comprehend that? I served 8 years in the military I don't deserve anything but freedom and the pursuit of happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire