Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:26 AM

13 posts, read 61,929 times

Advertisements

We currently live in NC and love it here...except for the school situation - major overcrowding and yearly reassignments to different schools. Plus, recently major cuts in budget leading to cutting Spanish and technology classes.

Newmarket sounds like a nice town - how are the schools? We have a rising kindergartner for 2010. Are people friendly to newcomers in town in general? Any other town suggestions would be welcome also.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:30 PM

9 posts, read 23,610 times
Newmarket schools are not generally known for being fabulous. In this area, SAU 16 is considered one of the best districts for schools, this includes Stratham, Exeter, Newfields, Brentwood, E.Kingston and Kensington. Many of these towns border Newmarket. North of Newmarket, you could also consider the Oyster River school district, including such towns as Dover. This would depend on where you want to be in proximity to (work commute?). In general, though, people are very friendly. The Children's Museum of NH is in Dover (fyi). Happy to answer with more details, if you provide more info.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:18 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
Newmarket is a nice small town. Nice downtown area, but the schools aren't great. They are decent though. Like stated above, you can't go wrong with going south or north. The Stratham/Exeter area is expensive. The Dover area is cheaper, and a little bit more urban in feeling.

I've lived in Newmarket, Dover, Durham, and have worked in Stratham, Newfields, and Exeter. I'd chose Dover myself if I was to move back to NH.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 20,700 times
Dubthang,
I'm wondering why you would pick Dover over all of the other places you have lived/worked in NH. Schools? Downtown area? Overall feel? Any insight would be highly appreciated. My wife and I are looking at the Dover area for a move with our son and really love it. What else can you tell me?

Thank you!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 AM

758 posts, read 2,888,561 times
Dover is MUCH larger the any of the other towns listed (but it's still not "big"). It has a larger, walkable downtown consisting of more than a main street (most of the other downtowns are only a block or two). It has many more restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. There's just more to do and more amenities that come with living in a larger town.

Also, it's very close to Portsmouth and (and Newington for that matter...if you need to shop at the mall) and you can easily access Rt. 16, 108, or 4 and get around pretty easily.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:45 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I think maybe you meant to say Durham instead of Dover? (Dover is not part of Oyster River School District...) The three towns that make up Oyster River are Madbury, Durham and Lee. Taxes are quite high, but for many, worth it because of the quality of education associated with the district.
Quote:
Originally Posted by true.enough View Post
North of Newmarket, you could also consider the Oyster River school district, including such towns as Dover.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:13 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crujones76 View Post
Dubthang,
I'm wondering why you would pick Dover over all of the other places you have lived/worked in NH. Schools? Downtown area? Overall feel? Any insight would be highly appreciated. My wife and I are looking at the Dover area for a move with our son and really love it. What else can you tell me?

Thank you!
Firstly, Dover is shaped like a crescent (that's why it's called the Crescent City.) This makes it easy to get around since you can avoid downtown if you want. It is also easy to get to places like Rt. 4, 9, 125, 16, Portsmouth, Maine, the ocean, etc.

Secondly, there is a good mixed atmosphere. It has a small town feel in some areas (small neighborhoods, local stores,) other areas provide larger city conveniences (grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, major highway access,) and this is all set within the beautiful NH coastal area.

Thirdly, the schools are good. They aren't the greatest, but nobody will fault the education that one recieves in a Dover school.

Fourthly, the surrounding towns are all fairly close, and are decent towns too. A couple of the towns are tiny while others are larger, but they are all nice.

There are many other perks too, access to the woods (hiking, biking,) decent bars, good local restaurants, walkable downtown, etc.

The biggest drawback to living in Dover is that id you work in Portsmouth, Rush hour traffic is awful. There is one bridge in and out of the Portsmouth area for Dover folks (and other towns that way) and it gets slammed every afternoon.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,622 times
I've lived in Newmarket for 8 years now & I love it. In fact, all my neighbors love it here as well. Actually, the elementary school has a pretty good reputation. I would feel comfortable sending my 2 boys there. I will not, however, send them to the junior-senior high school. Newmarket is revamping its downtown & it should be spectacular. Many of th eother towns listed above don't even have a downtown...ours is small, but nice & will get even better as construction continues. It is an old mill town. Nice town playground. Convenient location.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,285 times
Can anyone please tell me anything and everything you know about the converted mill bldgs at 6 Bay Rd & 125 Main St Newmarket? Do the bldgs have issues because they are so old? Is it nice to live there? Are the people nice and the management co good? Are they worth the money?
What will happen to those other abandoned bldgs next to them?
Please! anything you can say about them, especially the ones at 6 bay Rd.
Thanks!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,520 times
Default Newmarket is NEW and kayakable

Newmarket continues to develop. Those factory buildings are now upscale and occupied. New restaurants and a microbrewery opening behind the pet friendly main street library. Organic produce market going in across from Newmarket Mills. Anyone living in the condos or along the bay can walk to PO, library, coffee shops, restaurants, hiking trails, yoga, hair salons, bike shop and can kayak without using an auto. Fresh water meets tidal at the romantic waterfall. Commute to Logan, Cambridge and many area NH, MA and ME beaches is easy. It is a diverse, educated populace with access to fresh and salt water, a university and public transportation. What is missing? Oh....but aren't schools an obsolete concept existing to support an employment system and day care? Supplement with museums and the internet? Or vote to improve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire