Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:38 AM

196 posts, read 275,096 times

Advertisements

Free State Project Home [ Free State Project - Liberty in Our Lifetime ]

Is this true? How is this going to impact anything in NH?

Just wondering.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:07 AM

885 posts, read 2,654,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedme View Post
Free State Project Home [ Free State Project - Liberty in Our Lifetime ]

Is this true? How is this going to impact anything in NH?

Just wondering.
Thanks
It's a common topic in this forum.
They're basically busing libertarians into the state. The idea being that those folks will be politically active enough to keep the nanny state laws & taxes out of New Hampshire. Not sure if NH really needed that help....

Old 06-06-2009, 04:37 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,645,919 times
So far it has been a failure.

Out of stater's coming in and trying to change the ways of the state. Way too many of them start a controversy just so they can video tape it for their You Tube site.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:59 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Not sure if NH really needed that help....
It does, a 30%+ state budget increase in the last two years of a Democratic controlled state house. Many nanny state bills in the pipeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
So far it has been a failure.

Out of stater's coming in and trying to change the ways of the state. Way too many of them start a controversy just so they can video tape it for their You Tube site.
Do some research before you post of one person who video tapes themself. Seriously I thought you were smarter than that.

I already know of one Free State who has been elected as a state rep and votes the right way on every issue.

This group is nothing but a like minded small government group that doesn't want to see NH turn in to MA, NY, NJ, IL, or CA.

They are good people.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:19 PM

26,399 posts, read 46,325,880 times
I tend to vote for the fiscally conservative candidate if I am offered another choice. I don't like the fact that social issues keep getting brought up all the time, though. Gov. Lynch played his cards fairly well, though on the marriage issue.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
It does, a 30%+ state budget increase in the last two years of a Democratic controlled state house. Many nanny state bills in the pipeline.

I already know of one Free State who has been elected as a state rep and votes the right way on every issue.
Then they better get cracking. They claim only 700 some free-staters have moved here in the 6 years the project has been active. 1 state rep so far - as you say. With a voting age population of around 1M and a 2008 turnout of 70%, those 750 are not going to swing much (or did they all move to one town?). With 400 reps in NH, that 1 free stater is not going to change the demographic to any great extent. Of course, 1:700 is 4 times the 1:2500 ratio of voters to state reps, so free staters do have a proportional influence advantage over dems and 'pubs. However, if they maintained that ratio to the 20,000 free stater target they'd still only have 28 house seats, or 7% of the floor. It will also take them 168 years to get to 20,000 at the apparent move rate.

These are all just numbers of course. You can make they say the opposite if you like.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:14 PM

202 posts, read 503,315 times
Quote:
Then they better get cracking. They claim only 700 some free-staters have moved here in the 6 years the project has been active. 1 state rep so far - as you say. With a voting age population of around 1M and a 2008 turnout of 70%, those 750 are not going to swing much (or did they all move to one town?). With 400 reps in NH, that 1 free stater is not going to change the demographic to any great extent. Of course, 1:700 is 4 times the 1:2500 ratio of voters to state reps, so free staters do have a proportional influence advantage over dems and 'pubs. However, if they maintained that ratio to the 20,000 free stater target they'd still only have 28 house seats, or 7% of the floor. It will also take them 168 years to get to 20,000 at the apparent move rate.

These are all just numbers of course. You can make they say the opposite if you like.
The influence of Free Staters goes far beyond one rep. I'm not sure why you decided to denigrate the FSP in your message but most likely you're a partisan Democrat or you may be on the state Democratic party payroll. That's fine but if that's the case you might want to disclose such things.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
The influence of Free Staters goes far beyond one rep. I'm not sure why you decided to denigrate the FSP in your message but most likely you're a partisan Democrat or you may be on the state Democratic party payroll. That's fine but if that's the case you might want to disclose such things.
I disclose that I have no such thing to disclose (no party affiliation, not in the pay of any political body, no memberships to any political organization - unless AAA counts). In addition, the Free State Project itself claims no political affiliation - nor it is not a political party - therefore I can hardly be politically partisan towards it - right? Was partisan Democrat just an example? Couldn't I be a Republican with partisan views toward the free state project?

Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 AM

202 posts, read 503,315 times
Quote:
I disclose that I have no such thing to disclose (no party affiliation, not in the pay of any political body, no memberships to any political organization - unless AAA counts). In addition, the Free State Project itself claims no political affiliation - nor it is not a political party - therefore I can hardly be politically partisan towards it - right? Was partisan Democrat just an example? Couldn't I be a Republican with partisan views toward the free state project?
Perhaps. Or perhaps you might have a different agenda altogether. I really don't know. But your message suggested that you had an axe to grind against the FSP. So whatever axe that might be, it's helpful for people to be aware of it. You may simply just be a statist who is irritated by liberty lovers. There's certainly a few of those left in NH here and there.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 AM

14 posts, read 47,357 times
Whoa, there. rmcewan just being realistic, which may sound kind of pessimistic. I am moving to NH very soon and was inspired by the fsp. greenmartian, you come across as the one with the agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire