Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 07:19 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times

Advertisements

These politicians need to stop playing mommy. We don't need a Helmet law here in NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 09:08 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
" it is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL for you to get involved if you want to maintain your current freedoms in riding here in the state of New Hampshire"

It's about time, the helmet issue I'm on the fence about, but I don't see how irritating everyone around you with loud exhaust qualifies as a valid freedom, the argument always follows that "loud pipes save lives", that is BS and has been proven to be false.

Irregardless to whether you feel loud pipes save lives or not the point is NH
ALREADY has a noise law. It does not need another, it needs to adhere to the one it has and get off it's collective ass and prosecute those who violate it.

For NH has a helmet law for bicyclists under a certain age..see any helmet related cases in the printed court proceedings lately? Ever? See any kids out there riding without a helmet? Of course you have, right in front of the cops..no citations written to either them or their legal guardians though.

Now should NH put a helmet law in effect and ticket adults but not the kids, would not that be unequal? I would think a good lawyer could point that out and even bring a lawsuit against the state.

No Nh needs no new laws in either case

Old 12-06-2009, 10:28 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,177 times
I agree! (wish I could vote)

Old 12-06-2009, 02:05 PM

215 posts, read 583,779 times
I agree Dave and I vote.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:14 AM

might as well throw this "gem" in the mix...Beach Smoking Ban Proposed - Health News Story - WMUR Manchester (http://www.wmur.com/health/21880762/detail.html - broken link)

Old 12-07-2009, 05:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I wonder why the "rights" that are the most important are the rights to indulge the most obnoxious (dropping lit cigarettes on a public beach full of barefoot people) or dangerous (riding a motorcycle without a helmet)?

I don’t have any skin in this issue because I always wear a helmet when riding and never walk a beach barefoot. I do have an issue with unruffled bikes and cars because I find the noise annoying. I also find the noise of a landing 737 along High Range Road annoying but realize the jets are already much quieter than they used to be.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
might as well throw this "gem" in the mix...Beach Smoking Ban Proposed - Health News Story - WMUR Manchester (http://www.wmur.com/health/21880762/detail.html - broken link)
They can catch you much easier in the act of smoking, but the 1sec act of littering is tougher to police. I don't smoke, I hate the smell of smoking (it's a very tough point between me and my mother, which is why I seldom visit), but... they might as well just make cigarettes entirely illegal at the rate they're taking away choice. It's already illegal to smoke inside public buildings, most restaurants, and now beaches in NH? Periodically I hear about smoking in your own car if there's a child, and sometimes even in your own house if there's a child. If they weren't so dependent on money from the tobacco people.....

Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder why the "rights" that are the most important are the rights to indulge the most obnoxious (dropping lit cigarettes on a public beach full of barefoot people) or dangerous (riding a motorcycle without a helmet)?

I don’t have any skin in this issue because I always wear a helmet when riding and never walk a beach barefoot. I do have an issue with unruffled bikes and cars because I find the noise annoying. I also find the noise of a landing 737 along High Range Road annoying but realize the jets are already much quieter than they used to be.
No one has a right to drop a cigarette on the beach it is called littering and we have laws for that

No one has the right to be obnoxiously loud, whether it be biker or sweet little 6 yr old Suzi Creamcheese it is called disturbing the peace again we have laws for that

On the last..EVERYONE has a right to personal liberty. We have a law for that too it's called the constitution.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM

202 posts, read 504,868 times
Angry Guns Banned in the New Hampshire State House!

It appears the Democrats have launched a sneak attack on gun owners in New Hampshire.

We're going to have to get rid of these people via the ballot box in 2010. Not a single person who voted for this should be in the legislature.

From the Gun Owners of New Hampshire site:

GUNS BANNED IN THE STATEHOUSE!

They have BANNED GUNS in the statehouse! The Joint Committee on Legislative Facilities, the committee that typically decides on what color to paint the halls, repair the roof, amount of salaries and other housekeeping matters have decided to TAKE AWAY your second amendment rights!! No notice, no opportunity to be heard, nothing! GO-NH has friends everywhere (and thank goodness to a Republican friend for this scoop minutes after the vote, he called the GO-PHONE to report this travesty of justice).

The NH Legislative Facilities Committee voted today to ban firearms in the NH State House.

This is a Joint Committee, and members are:

Sylvia Larsen (D)
Terie Norelli (D)
Margaret Hassan (D)
Mary Jane Wallner (D)
Peter Bragdon (R)
Sherman Packard (R)
Lou D'Allesandro (D)
Marjorie Smith (D)
Daniel Eaton (D)
Gene Chandler (R)
Martha Fuller Clark (D)
Sheila Roberge (R)

The Joint Facilities committee just passed by an 8-3 vote (party lines)
the following regulation on the State House:

"No person, except for law enforcement personnel in active duty, shall
carry a firearm or other dangerous or deadly weapon or an explosive,
openly or concealed, while inside the State House, the Legislative
Office Building, the Upham Walker House, or any of the underground
tunnels connected to these buildings. Law enforcement personnel, when
requested by State House security staff, must produce sufficient
identification establishing their status as law enforcement personnel."

Last edited by greenmartian; 12-21-2009 at 05:11 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 04:50 PM

202 posts, read 504,868 times
This was apparently done on a party line vote with the Democrats on the committee voting in favor of this unconstitutional rule.

For those who wish to contact these legislators, here is their public contact information from the NH state government site:

Sylvia Larson
Senate Office:
Statehouse
107 N. Main St., Room 302
Concord, N.H. 03301
(603) 271-2111
sylvia.larsen@leg.state.nh.us
Modcut- do not post personal address info on city-data.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/senate/members/senate15.asp (broken link)
--------------------------------------------

Representative Terie Norelli (d)
Rockingham- District 16
Seat #:6001
Incumbent
Modcut- do not post address info on city-data.

Email: terie.norelli@leg.state.nh.us

--------------------------------------------
Senator Margaret Wood Hassan, D-Exeter
Senate District 23
Senate Office:
State House
107 N. Main St., Room 302
Concord, N.H. 03301
(603) 271-2111
maggie.hassan@leg.state.nh.us
Modcut- do not post address info on city-data
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/senate/members/senate23.asp (broken link)
---------------------------------------------

Representative Mary Jane Wallner (d)
Merrimack- District 12
Seat #:2002
Incumbent
Modcut
Do not post address info on city-data
Email: mjwallner@juno.com

------------------------------------------------------------

Lou D'Allesandro (D)
enate Office:
Statehouse
107 N. Main St., Room 117
Concord, N.H. 03301
(603) 271-2600
dalas@leg.state.nh.us

Modcut- no personal address info.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/senate/members/senate20.asp (broken link)

------------------------------------------------------------

Representative Marjorie Smith (d)
Strafford- District 07
Seat #:2003
Incumbent
Modcut- no personal address info
Phone: (603)868-7500
Email: marjorie.smith@leg.state.nh.us

-----------------------------------------------------------

Representative Daniel Eaton (d)
Cheshire- District 02
Seat #:2001
Incumbent

Modcut- no personal address info
Phone: (603)446-3535
Email: eatonsstore@juno.com

---------------------------------------------------------

Senator Martha Fuller Clark, D-Portsmouth
Contact Information:
martha.fullerclark@leg.state.nh.us

Senate Office:
State House Room 302
107 N. Main St.,
Concord, N.H. 03301
(603) 271-4152
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/senate/members/senate24.asp (broken link)

Last edited by GraniteStater; 12-21-2009 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire