Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 AM

544 posts, read 1,471,320 times

Advertisements

I notice NH'ites that go to MA for work get MA taxes taken out, so it doesnt feel free in that regard or not much more than MA in general.
Also, I heard MA is trying hard to impose their state tax on the state line crossers when they go shopping in NH. NH may spiritually be free, but it also seems needy for MA at the same time.
This could be why NH could go under the radar when people look to move there from farther away. They might read all this and say its not worth the move. Dont go shooting me down or anything since these are the thoughts I have at this time.
As nice as escaping to move to NH sounds, what if you have to depend on Boston still? Would it be so free?

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-22-2009 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I live in NH and work in Boston so I pay Mass income tax and NH property tax. The pay differential makes up the difference including commuting costs.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,321 times
It's not about the money, it's about the freedom taking, corrupt, and huge state government of MA

Old 06-22-2009, 09:22 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
True freedom is only in our minds.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:28 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
It is much less expensive to live in NH, even if you work in MA. The costs of just about everything is higher in MA: housing, car insurance, etc. The property tax rate is higher in NH, but the actual dollars spent is about the same for comparable homes in comparable towns. MA has taxes on interest earned, sales tax (now 5%, going to 6.25%), capital gains tax, excise tax on cars, higher gas tax.... The other factor is that the schools in NH are good enough that one does not need to spend the money for private high school while many of my co-workers and friends in MA send their kids to private schools...

Many people who travel (sale representatives, airline pilots, etc.) live in NH as they can pro-rate their time in MA when it comes to paying income taxes...

As for the state of MA's efforts to collect sales tax on items bought in NH by MA residents, it is doubtful that it is going to happen. Everyone in the northern third of MA shops in NH. Once you get north of Burlington, there are no large malls until you get over the state line into NH...

It will be interesting to see if the Democrats that run NH now will stay in power after the 2010 election considering what has happened with the state budget and some other high profile issues... The 2008 vote was an anti-Bush vote as much as anything else. There are more people that have left MA for NH to escape the MA style of big govt than there are people who have left MA to turn NH into another MA...

NH is a lone outpost of conservativism in the Northeast. If it were not for NH, Al Gore would have been elected in 2000 as if he took NH, his loss in FL would not have mattered....

Old 06-22-2009, 10:05 AM

186 posts, read 848,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
It is much less expensive to live in NH, even if you work in MA. The costs of just about everything is higher in MA: housing, car insurance, etc. The property tax rate is higher in NH, but the actual dollars spent is about the same for comparable homes in comparable towns. MA has taxes on interest earned, sales tax (now 5%, going to 6.25%), capital gains tax, excise tax on cars, higher gas tax.... The other factor is that the schools in NH are good enough that one does not need to spend the money for private high school while many of my co-workers and friends in MA send their kids to private schools...

Many people who travel (sale representatives, airline pilots, etc.) live in NH as they can pro-rate their time in MA when it comes to paying income taxes...

As for the state of MA's efforts to collect sales tax on items bought in NH by MA residents, it is doubtful that it is going to happen. Everyone in the northern third of MA shops in NH. Once you get north of Burlington, there are no large malls until you get over the state line into NH...

It will be interesting to see if the Democrats that run NH now will stay in power after the 2010 election considering what has happened with the state budget and some other high profile issues... The 2008 vote was an anti-Bush vote as much as anything else. There are more people that have left MA for NH to escape the MA style of big govt than there are people who have left MA to turn NH into another MA...

NH is a lone outpost of conservativism in the Northeast. If it were not for NH, Al Gore would have been elected in 2000 as if he took NH, his loss in FL would not have mattered....
+ 100. Spot on.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:15 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post

It may be, but what if a house in NH costs 400,000 like in Londonderry, then it is more than MA with property tax and town tax or it = out to be the same. Now in a 275 thousand dollar house, it for sure be cheaper.
I always wondered where ppl got the money in NH tho when they owned a 400-500 grand worth house.
NH on the whole does seem cheaper, but just not when the house prices themselves got higher since the property tax is there AND the high value of the house.
Tax on interest is such bs its not funny and also, I wonder whos responsible for that camping tax there now. Democrats either of NH or formerly of MA.
Also, I always figured the high majority of MA people moving to NH were freer thinking people and didnt want the communistwealth burden. Many are bikers, rockers, whatever else have you.
Also, NH had Bush I believe highly. NH seems to be the only sane state in NE as a whole tho.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:41 PM

369 posts, read 964,277 times
Ya know, I've had a bunch of folks tell me I wasn't going to earn anywhere near what I was earning in Mass. when I moved north. They were kinda right.

I'm earning a good bit more, factor in the much shorter commute (Less gas $$ + more family time) and yeah, I'm not earning anywhere near what I used to. Oh, and the added kicker is less taxes out of the check every week too. Of course I'm working a bit harder but the compensation makes it worthwhile

Most folks are afraid of any challenge so they plod along doing the same thing every day getting the same results and complaining about it instead of doing something about it.

Throw in the personal freedoms and constitutional rights long forgotten by the sheeple of devalistan and other socalist states and I'm very, very happy here.

Your happiness may vary.

As for the Dem's staying in power, Massachusetts is purging its population of conservatives via the Katrina bill failure, Pandemic bill -[Worth a seperate thread]- and increased sales tax to name a few reasons and most of them seem to be finding their way here.

The change I'm hoping for is a shift to Red.
Just a personal, subjective observation.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:05 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
The man at the top (Gov'nah John Lynch) was born and raised in Waltham, MA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
I wonder whos responsible for that camping tax there now. Democrats either of NH or formerly of MA.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:37 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
I notice NH'ites that go to MA for work get MA taxes taken out, so it doesnt feel free in that regard or not much more than MA in general.
Also, I heard MA is trying hard to impose their state tax on the state line crossers when they go shopping in NH. NH may spiritually be free, but it also seems needy for MA at the same time. [snipped]
As nice as escaping to move to NH sounds, what if you have to depend on Boston still? Would it be so free?
you sure you're looking at it the right way? From the things you're pointing out it sounds a lot more like MA depends NH, not NH depending on MA/Boston. MA is the one riding NH's coattails trying to find ways of horning in on the residents there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire