Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,544 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I am from South Africa, but spent two AWESOME summers (and a bit of chilly October) on Bear Island a few years back. I am looking to return and possibly relocate to NH, or at least work for about 2 years.

I am able to land a job that would pay about $3000 / month. Would this be enough to rent a place (max 2 bed) have a decent 2nd hand truck or car and groceries?

I do not expect to have the best of everything, just to live comfortably and renting is cool for now until I could further my certifications and get a better job.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Depending on where you need to live in NH, $3,000 a month will let you rent a comfortable place and buy a decent used car.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 PM

yeah? some folks seem to think it would be too tight, others think it would be a breeze. looking through the options it seems around Nashua would be best. ideally i'd like to do sweet nothing and chill at the lake though :-)

what would i be looking at for groceries and such like? here in SA i have medical aid, what are the equivalent options over there? sorry for the noob questions, but thanks for the help!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Would your medical insurance cover you while you were here? Maybe you could buy short term coverage from a US insurance company. Food for a month, with a generous amount of reasturant meals should cost around $400. Look on line to get a range of rents in the Nashua area. I think some of our condos are renting for around $1,200 pr month or so.

No questions are unwelcome or foolish. Guessing is foolish.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:38 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Quote:
yeah? some folks seem to think it would be too tight, others think it would be a breeze.
well that could be because towns can be very different. Some are much more expensive to live in that others. nneren.com will list rentals, some people like to check out craigslist.

Unless your insurance in SA will cover you over here for 2 years, we don't have any national health at this time. Will your job provide you with medical insurance? Usually the job pays part and the individual pays part. There are many different medical insurance companies, it depends on what your employer offers.

Quote:
ideally i'd like to do sweet nothing and chill at the lake though :-)
<G> wouldn't we all!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:18 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,476 times
Is that $3000 take home, or is that before taxes? $3000 take home will let you live very comfortably if you budget right.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:31 AM

@ dubthang: that would be before taxes, how much am i looking to pay in that regard?

from rough research I estimate to spend about $1000 on accomodation, up to $400 on the car payments and $400 on food etc each month. Not sure exactly how much entertainment costs up there anymore, but I am not much of a party man. I'd probably spend most of my disposable income getting a new triathlon bike and ride that on the weekend :-)

Looking at the prospects, I'd probably end up around either Nashua or Salem, what are the public libraries like there?

So the $3000 looks comfortable, but other than gas and a mobile phone what other "hidden" costs am I likely to encounter?

thanks folks!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:11 AM

You can buy a decent used Subie for $5,000 bucks outright. I have never paid $400 per month for a car. Federal Income Tax is roughly $250 per month and employer health insurance around the same. Figure you will have $2200 a month to survive on. That ain't poverty but it also ain't wealthy.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:48 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_wookie View Post
Hi everyone

I am from South Africa, but spent two AWESOME summers (and a bit of chilly October) on Bear Island a few years back. I am looking to return and possibly relocate to NH, or at least work for about 2 years.

I am able to land a job that would pay about $3000 / month. Would this be enough to rent a place (max 2 bed) have a decent 2nd hand truck or car and groceries?

I do not expect to have the best of everything, just to live comfortably and renting is cool for now until I could further my certifications and get a better job.

Thanks a bunch!
New Hampshire's a big state. Where is your job located? There are many affordable places to live between Concord and Lebanon but that doesn't work if you're in southern NH. The closer you get to the Mass border the more expensive things become.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:45 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,476 times
So $750 a week before taxes... You shouldn't have any problems if you use a little planning to get started. I'd find a place to rent with somebody to cut your rent in half. That'd make a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire