Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:09 AM

87 posts, read 422,184 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a beautiful area to live in New Hampshire. We are looking for a town with excellent public schools, conveniences and within an hour from Manchester airport. We would like an upper middle class area. We can spend at least 1M on a home. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:19 AM

71 posts, read 172,158 times
Default Here are a few to check out...

Bedford- pricey, great schools, very convenient, some traffic issues
Hollis- seems nice, I always liked going there for sport events...
Amherst- close to Nashua, good schools
Bow- bedroom community, good schools, rural
Concord- need to be neighborhood specific

Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Some of the most recommended schools in the state are located in towns well under an hour to the airport, and would include Amherst, Bedford, Bow, Hollis and Windham.

Bedford recently build it's own high school (previously attended Manchester West HS) and you can get more info here: Bedford High School

Windham's new high school is scheduled to open September 09, and you can view pictures, info here: Welcome to the Windham, New Hampshire High School

Amherst's Souhegan High (shared with Mont Vernon students) is a member of the Coalition of Essential Schools, and I would recommend that you read up on CES vs. traditional schools. The school is highly regarded, but may not be for everybody.

Hollis shares their HS with neighborhing Brookline, and like Amherst, has easy access to the shopping/dining conveniences of Nashua and also Route 3 into Massachusetts.

All of these towns are solidly upper-middle class, and for more unbiased demographic information:
NH Community Profiles (http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm - broken link)
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Looking forward to seeing more responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepRN3 View Post
We are looking for a beautiful area to live in New Hampshire. We are looking for a town with excellent public schools, conveniences and within an hour from Manchester airport. We would like an upper middle class area. We can spend at least 1M on a home. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 05:46 AM..

Old 07-03-2009, 11:07 AM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times
Amherst and Hollis are both upper middle class towns within less than an hour of MHT. Hollis has more farms, Amherst has a gorgeous town center but also has a commercial area on the outskirts of town with a lot of icky yet necessary big box stores. I believe these are the only two cities in NH whose schools made the Newsweek list of top schools in the country a few weeks ago.

Bedford is also an upper middle class community and would be the closest to MHT but it has a very different feel - more of a typical modern suburb than a small town. A lot of people prefer that but I'd miss the history, walkable town centers and charm of the classic New England towns.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:10 AM

142 posts, read 573,546 times
Hi Val,Just checked out your zip skinny great site,I'm putting that in my favorites

Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,787 times
1M would buy you a nice home in Exeter, Hampton or Rye and you'll be 1 hour from Manchester AND Logan.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:32 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times
Hollis is amazing.

For 1M you can get a nice home with a wonderful view up on one of the hills, or build your own... Great schools, great town, close to Nashua and the conveniences provided, close as in 5-10 minutes (though there are basics in town right here of course...which is about a 2 mile walk for me...which I just did to get a sub for lunch).

Amherst is a little more "suburban" in feel, and Bedford is definitely suburban. We preferred Hollis; but its up to you...

I can get to Manchester airport in close to 20 minutes and Logan in around an hour- both very reasonable.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 PM

36 posts, read 106,501 times
North Hampton or Rye are my picks. I lived in HF, and couldn't get out fast enough, but those towns seem to have held up in the past 5 years.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM

371 posts, read 1,161,705 times
Rye. On the beach. Done.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:19 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Doesn't look like StepRN3 ever moved to NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire