Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:04 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,967 times

Advertisements

Today, I went walking in downtown Manchester for the first time.
I used to go there to go to the mall of NH in the past, but I never walked around downtown Manchester until today.
It was a nice day there today, the city looked nice on the whole, but one problem.
Is it just me, or does it really seem like Manchester is kinda overrated or it doesnt have as much as you would think especially since the skyline looks nice and theres more tall buildings than Nashua or say Lowell. It doesnt seem any better at all than those 2 though, and if anything, Lowell might even have more going on since they got the Tsongas Arena for hockey, but also, the folkfest. I dont think Manchester has anything else outside the monarchs or some big concerts there. I didnt see any good bars at all walking around down town. A few restaurant bars that looked expensive, but otherwise, didn't see much.
If Manchester is your home city and some of you take pride in it, then I am gonna say that I am not bashing it since it does look nice, but it could use a lot more work. I like Nashua better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Today, I went walking in downtown Manchester for the first time.
I used to go there to go to the mall of NH in the past, but I never walked around downtown Manchester until today.
It was a nice day there today, the city looked nice on the whole, but one problem.
Is it just me, or does it really seem like Manchester is kinda overrated or it doesnt have as much as you would think especially since the skyline looks nice and theres more tall buildings than Nashua or say Lowell. It doesnt seem any better at all than those 2 though, and if anything, Lowell might even have more going on since they got the Tsongas Arena for hockey, but also, the folkfest. I dont think Manchester has anything else outside the monarchs or some big concerts there. I didnt see any good bars at all walking around down town. A few restaurant bars that looked expensive, but otherwise, didn't see much.
If Manchester is your home city and some of you take pride in it, then I am gonna say that I am not bashing it since it does look nice, but it could use a lot more work. I like Nashua better.
Manchester comprises of more then just downtown. For most I would So. Willow is "the" strip. That said there is plenty of good eating for fair money to be had in downtown and the side streets. I am not much into bars but Strange Brew would seem the best bet.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Manchester comprises of more then just downtown. For most I would So. Willow is "the" strip. That said there is plenty of good eating for fair money to be had in downtown and the side streets. I am not much into bars but Strange Brew would seem the best bet.

Ah I see. I find Manchester can be easy to get lost in for a city not too big so, I didnt see some of these other places. I walked around quite a few spots even up where they closed the bridge like where the Rite Aid is.
Got the city view from there and could see the mountains from Elm. Its nice there, just could use more things.
If I ever start a business, Id think of putting it there since I do know that Manchester does have some funky type people and my business idea could go ok with what they might want or maybe a beer place with tons of different beers or something.
Google voodoo doughnut to get a better idea of what Im talking about.
I got inspired by a donut business in Portland OR.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:38 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Voodoo Donuts on Travel Channel RIGHT NOW! Manchester might not be ready for Voodoo Donuts, but what a great concept! Bacon Maple Bar... Hmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Wasabi Donut... not so much....

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
If I ever start a business, Id think of putting it there since I do know that Manchester does have some funky type people and my business idea could go ok with what they might want or maybe a beer place with tons of different beers or something.
Google voodoo doughnut to get a better idea of what Im talking about.
I got inspired by a donut business in Portland OR.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
I didnt see any good bars at all walking around down town. A few restaurant bars that looked expensive, but otherwise, didn't see much.

the GOOD bars are on Canal St. lol - Manchester has a decent amount of private clubs as well.

Great concerts at the Verizon, as well as the teams that play there. Concerts in the park, the road races, downtown thursdays....(movies), the Fishercats ball team in Singer park.

Just because you were not made aware of all the attractions, does not mean they do not exist.

Once upon a time, Elm St. was the shopping district, but that changed 50 years ago.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 AM

571 posts, read 1,318,438 times
One of the things I noticed about NH in general was the scarcity of bars. Where I used to live there was practically one on each corner but in NH - very few. That also means fewer venues for small bands to perform. I have seen in NH there are quite a few membership clubs that are mysterious on the outside but are just plain taverns or bars.
I don't drink but I have been an observer of the scene as many of my friends and parents friends made frequent use of such facilities - and some had the scars to prove it!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I didnt see any good bars at all walking around down town. A few restaurant bars that looked expensive, but otherwise, didn't see much.

the GOOD bars are on Canal St. lol - Manchester has a decent amount of private clubs as well.

Great concerts at the Verizon, as well as the teams that play there. Concerts in the park, the road races, downtown thursdays....(movies), the Fishercats ball team in Singer park.

Just because you were not made aware of all the attractions, does not mean they do not exist.

Once upon a time, Elm St. was the shopping district, but that changed 50 years ago.

I wasnt on Canal St to the best of my knowledge, but was on Elm and then was walking by the Rite Aid. I saw a rib place and it looked like black people owned it or something up on the hill there.
Nashua seems better than Manchester to me, but I dunno.
I know Manchester has gay bars, but didnt see em. I saw a sports bar on one of the sidestreets, an irish bar, indigo and stuff.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Voodoo Donuts on Travel Channel RIGHT NOW! Manchester might not be ready for Voodoo Donuts, but what a great concept! Bacon Maple Bar... Hmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Wow you saw that on travel? Very nice.

Manchester seems a bit more meat and potatoes to me so, they may not be ready for that. You would think they could be since I have seen freaks in Manchester like once or twice or maybe a hippy here and there.

Wasabi = EWW. I dont like that.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:19 AM

105 posts, read 208,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post

While the bacon maple bar is OK, Voodoo is, for the most part, totally overrated. Great magnet for tourists, hungry drunks, and recently transplanted hipsters though---Manchester's got the drunks, I guess, but few of the other two. The donuts themselves are very ho-hum, at times even crappy, but when they're laced with irony and you can get 'em in the shape of a **** and balls, well, there you go!

Old 07-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
While the bacon maple bar is OK, Voodoo is, for the most part, totally overrated. Great magnet for tourists, hungry drunks, and recently transplanted hipsters though---Manchester's got the drunks, I guess, but few of the other two. The donuts themselves are very ho-hum, at times even crappy, but when they're laced with irony and you can get 'em in the shape of a **** and balls, well, there you go!

For real? You consider VD overrated? Many living residents love the place, not just tourists.
Id like to see someone in Manchester try to open a place remotely like it lol.
You think VD are ho hum and crappy? Say what?
Manchester could use a bar like Plan B too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire