Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 36,122 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum. Just signed up a few minutes ago. We are possibly moving to New Hampshire(not sure when) and would like some info about the area. My husbands job will be in Merrimack and he would like a normal commute (15-20 mins to get to work). He travels now 1 hour each way to get to work. We are from Fredericksburg Va and he goes to Alexandria Va for work. I have been looking at houses online in Merrimack,Nashua,Hooksett,Manchester,Derry..etc I would like a place that has good schools, somewhat close to shopping (not having to travel not more than 20 mins or so)

Where we live now everthing is basically at my fingertips and I don't know what "small town life" exactly means. Will I get used to it?Will I be miserable? If anyone knows anything about Fredericksburg va, are there any towns somewhat like it near the areas I mentioned in NH? Thank you so much for any info you can give me.-Byrd30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd30 View Post
Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum. Just signed up a few minutes ago. We are possibly moving to New Hampshire(not sure when) and would like some info about the area. My husbands job will be in Merrimack and he would like a normal commute (15-20 mins to get to work). He travels now 1 hour each way to get to work. We are from Fredericksburg Va and he goes to Alexandria Va for work. I have been looking at houses online in Merrimack,Nashua,Hooksett,Manchester,Derry..etc I would like a place that has good schools, somewhat close to shopping (not having to travel not more than 20 mins or so)

Where we live now everthing is basically at my fingertips and I don't know what "small town life" exactly means. Will I get used to it?Will I be miserable? If anyone knows anything about Fredericksburg va, are there any towns somewhat like it near the areas I mentioned in NH? Thank you so much for any info you can give me.-Byrd30
My wife and I just moved from that area...to that area; 2 years ago (as of August), I'll post some details later when I get to eat some lunch.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 AM

o.k. Thanks alot

Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
You'll be fine. Make sure you buy good cold-weather clothes and boots, though (not necessarily right now )

both Nashua and Merrimack have plenty of whatever you need close at hand. They have a little more traffic than many other towns in NH, but compared to what you're used to, you'll be fine.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Ok, now I have a moment!

First off- welcome to NH (in the future); we have found the quality of life to be a lot better up here. Don't get me wrong, I like northern VA and still love to visit; but I think you'll really like it up here.

First- my 6 mile commute in Arlington that took 20-30 minutes was replaced by a 30 mile commute here that takes 35-50 minutes; and up here I'm heading from NH into MA, toward Boston. Traffic up here is, unless right around Boston, on a very different scale.

Second- weather. Less humid & cooler summers (think nights with windows open, no A/C on) but still just as sunny during the day (just generally a little cooler/less humid). Fall is gorgeous (enough said). Winters are snowy, ice/rain in the winter is *fairly* rare. Be ready for the cold and the snow (get proper layered clothing) and ENJOY the winter; if you lock yourself inside you'll be unhappy, if you make the most of it- its wonderful. I will take the snow of NH to the rainy/grey winters of VA any day. Springs are rough because the leaves arrive back on the trees later and things get a little muddy from the snow melt; but such is life...its not that big a deal.

Third- "Small Town"; its not comparable to the "small town" of southern/western VA...don't worry.

Fourth- areas, if he's commuting to Merrimack I would suggest avoiding east of the Merrimack river (Hooksett, Derry, Londonderry, Windham, Hudson, etc). There are a limited number of river crossings and they can delay the drive a little, I've always found getting back/fourth across the river to be on the slow side whether crossing up by Manchester or down by Nashua.

Fifth- not sure about your price range but I think you'll find homes here to be "more for your money"; not necessarily in square footage but including yard size, etc.

Sixth- Schools/services/personality is by town, not by county (counties are somewhat meaningless here). In our research it appears Hollis has the best schools in the area and we've been VERY happy with the town- 10 minutes from everything in Nashua, yet like "returning home to vacation" everyday after work (plenty of homes- but farmstands, cute new england town square, etc). Amherst is also very nice but is less stringent with zoning (and a little further from Nashua). Both are WELL within 20 minutes to Merrimack. Bedford is more suburban and while very nice, I'm not a big fan because its just not my kind of town. Manchester is more urban. Nashua is like a northern VA suburb- don't let "city" confuse you. Merrimack doesn't have much of a "town center" which seems to detract from its value; plenty of nice homes though, but some areas (as with Amherst) seem further out there to me just because of road layouts.

In short- prepare for snow so that you have time to enjoy it (warm clothes, etc), don't worry about "small town life"...in the areas you're looking its not something to "get used to" really- its a plus. And I highly suggest checking out the different towns.

Also- people here are a little slower to warmup, in NoVa everyone is fairly open at first since no-one is there for very long (so it seems). Just be friendly & genuine and all will be well. Our first year we met very few people...we're now on year 2 and our life is blossoming. Get involved, have fun, enjoy everything- and you will LOVE NH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd30 View Post
Hello everyone.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 PM

Thank you so much for responding. I will take everything you said into consideration.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
I just typed out a long response to Byrd, but BF66389 covered it so well that I just deleted it all and have nothing more to add... (plus BF has direct knowledge of the area that Byrd is coming from for good comparisons...)

Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 AM

Val- thanks for the compliment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire