Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,087 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have been a frequent lurker here and have appreciated the resource it has been.

Would anyone like to share their thoughts on Epsom? Likes/dislikes? My husband and I are looking at a property there and think that this area will be a good fit for us. We live in NY and I personally only had a chance to drive through this area fairly quickly months ago. I thought Northwood Lake was very pretty and Bear Brook State Park seems great from what I have seen online. We have two young children who we will be homeschooling but may like to take advantage of extracurricular school activities.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

~Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 06:45 AM

223 posts, read 540,350 times
Nice central location.... close to concord, manchester, walmart, sears, food stores etc. Yes, nearby lakes and parks.

CON: no 'pretty' downtown. Sort of 'blue collar' crossroads town. City government is pretty poor economically.

Sort of a town on the main highways that folks just drive through - suspect the real charm is 'off the main road' known mostly by the locals.

But as said, you cannot beat the location - sort of close to everything!

paul

Pittsfield (about 7 miles for Epsom)

Old 07-18-2009, 08:48 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
I lived in Epsom years ago and really liked it.You cant beat the location. Your within a short drive to anything you would need. I think the town government is probably pretty much the same as most small towns in the area.I agree with the above poster that best part of Epsom are the back roads out towards Bear Brook , up towards Pittsfield over by Deerfield ect. There definatly is no shortage of nice places to live.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:01 AM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Epsom is close to Concord and not too far from Manchester. It has great scenery, close to lakes, and Bear Brook. I would avoid buying property close to the Suncook River as it has been having serious flooding problems the past several years due to a new avulsion. They are trying to getting federal funds to fix the flooding issues. Otherwise it is a nice rural town that is slowing growing in population.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,042 times
I grew up in Epsom, and loved it. Actually, went up Fort Mt. today with my kids to pick blueberries. I would live there now, but it's too far of a commute for where I work. I also home school. It's quite close to the seacoast and the capital. Great for science and history. It seems like funding is a bit short because some of the way back roads are not well maintained. Bear Brook is AWESOME. They just built a new playground too. They have a 4H camp in the summer, many trails for hiking and mountain biking, and we used to go ice skating there in the winter. Because it's a State Park there is a small fee if you drive your car. They also have town sports up to the sixth grade. I hope that was helpful.
Beth

Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,087 times
Thanks again for the replies! We are also looking at another property in Pittsfield. I have been doing some of my own research on the town but also love to hear any personal experiences/input you would like to share, likes/dislikes etc. on this town as well.

Thanks so much!

Diana

Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Evelyn View Post
Thanks again for the replies! We are also looking at another property in Pittsfield. I have been doing some of my own research on the town but also love to hear any personal experiences/input you would like to share, likes/dislikes etc. on this town as well.

Thanks so much!

Diana
Pittsfield is a much poorer town compared with Epsom. Taxes are higher in Pittsfield and it has a large number of modulars and mobile homes. I don't know the entire history regarding why Pittsfield is economically depressed, but it has its share of problems. Epsom is quite a bit better overall IMO.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:46 PM

12 posts, read 19,860 times
Epsom is BY FAR the worst town I have ever lived in over the course of my entire life...wild parties, foul-mouthed and beyond the pale rude people. The school is horrible. Epsom? Don't even THINK about it.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:09 PM

223 posts, read 540,350 times
I've lived in pittsfield since 2000. It's prime was about 1910 when it was the regional center of the surrounding communities.

Unlike the those surrounding towns, Barnstead, Epsom, chichester and even northwood, It has a distinct Downtown with parks, churches, stores, post office, town hall, apartments etc. I like that 'feel' - then other towns don't have a 'center' (their original centers were bypassed by highways and sort of vanished).

Pittsfield is sort of run-down but lots of traces of it glory days and too small a community for the 'run down' to be depressing or not-safe.

lots of pittsfield and related pictures at my web site pauloman@pauloman.com

Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 AM

193 posts, read 534,228 times
Epsom is a nice central location, and we were considering it when house hunting. We found that you could get a good bang for the buck on real estate and had shortlisted one property there. Then, we took a look at the downtown area and decided to look elsewhere. It's really quite a dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire