Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:17 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,646 times

Advertisements

prnscync,

Definitely a big "drizzle factor" in Seattle and Western Washington - wise to check that one off if it doesn't appeal to you. Mea culpa! for adding the Alaska info - I mixed up your post in my mind with another that mentioned a six year stay in interior AK - so sorry.

I am wondering after re-reading your post if there's a source of weather data about thunderstorms that would offer specific info related to your search -- or if meterology doesn't really measure the characteristics of t-storms in one area vs. another other than (possibly) strikes? Interesting - now you've piqued my curiousity also.

I'm also wondering also if Katlakat's experience in Belmont is simliar to that in other parts of NH or if it's mostly an occurance in the mountain areas.

We like a four seasons climate and don't mind a big winter -- but getting out of tornado alley is the weather event we're most looking forward to in this next move. We spent three days in the Seacoast area last month and it rained hard all three days. No thunder - but green, cool, and gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 06:21 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times
If you want rain you should be here today......man is it coming down....that tropical storm shot right up the coast.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyal_Shahar View Post
You mentioned "...I don't own an AC...".
Aren't you using the same A/C or Heat Pump for both heating and cooling?

no - don't own an air conditioner - have no need for one

oil furnaces do not have heat pumps...neither do woodstoves...

Old 07-31-2009, 05:04 PM

38 posts, read 116,318 times
Katlakat- That sounds amazing! Great idea to order the brochures...why had I not thought of that!

Sunday1 - I am wondering about the impact of the mountains as well...

Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 PM

38 posts, read 116,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Lakes Region of New Hampshire has everything you desire plus you can go ice skating or ice boating for miles in the winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennymcb View Post
NH seacoast is nice. This summer we have had way too much rain for my liking, but it's been above average. We are in Central NH where the snow lasts a lot longer than the seacoast.
Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
Prnsync,

Order the free travel NH pamplets from the internet and take a look at the pictures of all 4 seasons up here. A true gem in America that won't go wasted to the right kind of people. Come on up and take a vacation up here in any season.

We live litterally on a mountain top that overlooks Belmont, Laconia and Tilton. We get to see all of the town's fireworks from our roof. We put blankets down, light up citronella lamps, feel the cool mountain breeze, and dive when the bats come out at dusk to eat those pesky mosquitos.

We litterally watched a rain cloud form above our yard and saw a wall of rain moving fast up our mountain/hill. We had 4 seconds to secure all our windows and doors before the rains washed out our yard and roads. We won't talk about thunder....up here in the heavens you ARE the thunder! People I'm sure were looking at the black cloud above our house and driving a bit faster home. Its amazing living up here. I'd swear the temperature is colder up here than my friend's house in Northfield. She always brings a jacket when she comes over my house!
Ok...so we recieved our brochure and want to plan a trip as we have narrowed things down to NH and ME.

I am feeling super overwhelmed by the prospect of choosing where to visit based on what we want as far as the weather conditions I mentioned in my OP (looking for rain, thunder, snow, & greenery).

So far, people have mentioned The Lakes Region, The Seascoast, The White Mountain Area, and Belmont. Should we stay in these places or should we stay in the larger-seeming areas like Portsmouth and Manchester? Does anyone recommend any other areas for rain, thunder, greenary, and snow?

How many days would you recommend we stay in order to really get a feel? We don't want to leave feeling like we didn't get a true understanding of the state. We would like to come in Sept or Oct but after readon some other threads, it seems that lodging will be expensive...

ps. Is there any way to update my original post to reflect the new situation?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:50 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Well, if you want extreme weather (and the only place to get snow this season), you'll need to go up Mt Washington. Bring a coat - it's very cold up there.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:25 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
I will put in a plug for W. Virginia and W. North Carolina. Greenery all around, plenty of thumpers, and a bit of snow too. And not very hot, at least above about 1000' or so. Check out Morgantown, Elkins, Asheville, or for that matter Cumberland, MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire