Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times

Advertisements

Hello LITTLETON AREA!

Did the storm that just flooded a lot of places in NH affect the Littleton area, if so was there a lot of flooding, damage in your homes?

Does your house insurance cover these kind of damages?
Have a great day!
Thank you,
Countrylv22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
I can't speak for everywhere in the Littleton area but here in town I didn't see any flooding (although there may have been some which was "minor" and I just didn't see it). I did see one big tree that had split in half from the wind. I understand parts of Littleton were without power for awhile, but where we are in town, we were only out for about 2 hours. My "big excitement" was getting blown backwards by a gust of wind! My husband thought it was funny (he's a skier and had experienced something like that on the slopes, I never had)....other than that, we fared very well compared to other parts of the state and some surrounding areas. Parts of the surrounding areas were without power for a few days, but we weren't, at least not right here in town. Main Street was out for about the same 2 hours we were. We had no damage to the house at all, just a few small branches came down from the wind.

I'm not sure how a homeowner's policy would work - I know when I lived in NYS if you didn't specifically have flood insurance (which was hard to get, if not impossible to get, if you weren't in a designated flood zone), any flood damage would not have been covered. From looking at our policy when we bought it, I believe it's the same, but I'm not positive. I'd have to pull out our policy and look at it again to be certain.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 PM

Question Storm Effects

HELLO WINDCHIMES03561!

Thank you for the response! I appreciate it!
I am glad that your area was not hit as badly as the rest of the state.
Howver, it sounds like the storm affected the entire state in some way!
How sad!
Do you and or anyone else in NH know if this is something that takes place every year, and or when was the last one like this?
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Countrylv22

Old 04-24-2007, 02:45 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
HELLO WINDCHIMES03561!

Thank you for the response! I appreciate it!
I am glad that your area was not hit as badly as the rest of the state.
Howver, it sounds like the storm affected the entire state in some way!
How sad!
Do you and or anyone else in NH know if this is something that takes place every year, and or when was the last one like this?
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Countrylv22
The last time was last Spring, which was pretty bad too, but not as severe as this one.

Ahh. Spring in NH. You gotta love it. Some call it mud season. There is some flooding most every year.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:46 PM

Thumbs up To Southward Bound! Thank You & Question?

HELLO SOUTHWARD BOUND!

Thank you for your response!
You mentioned that its called mud season, does this affect even the houses that say they are NOT in a flood zone?..
I assumed that if the house states NO FLOOD ZONE, that you should be ok..
How did your house fare in this last bad storm?

Thank you,
COUNTRYLV22

Old 06-12-2007, 12:31 PM

15 posts, read 69,678 times
Homeowners or rent insurance does not cover floods. For that you need flood insurance. Don't recall flooding problems in Littleton.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
HELLO SOUTHWARD BOUND!

Thank you for your response!
You mentioned that its called mud season, does this affect even the houses that say they are NOT in a flood zone?..
I assumed that if the house states NO FLOOD ZONE, that you should be ok..
How did your house fare in this last bad storm?

Thank you,
COUNTRYLV22
Sorry - just saw your post today! sent you a pm.
We are not in a flood zone, we are on high ground, but large volumes of water such as in the spring storm, created problems for hundreds of people in town because the ground just can't absorb it that fast, and it can't run off easily, storm drains get clogged, roads wash out, etc. The storm that hit NH this last time was not typical. We lived there 30+ years and never saw anything like it before.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:08 PM

Thumbs up To Seelydancer! Thank You So Much!

HELLO SEELYDANCER!
THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT! I APPRECIATE IT!

HAVE A NICE ONE!
COUNTRYLV22

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelydancer View Post
Homeowners or rent insurance does not cover floods. For that you need flood insurance. Don't recall flooding problems in Littleton.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:12 PM

Thumbs up Hello Southward Bound!

HELLO SOUTHWARD BOUND!
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY & PM!
I APPRECIATE IT ALL!
I was truly under the impression, that NO FLOOD ZONE, meant exactly that
I guess that a basement is probably NOT a good idea, in these areas, right??

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
TAKE CARE,
COUNTRYLV22

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Sorry - just saw your post today! sent you a pm.
We are not in a flood zone, we are on high ground, but large volumes of water such as in the spring storm, created problems for hundreds of people in town because the ground just can't absorb it that fast, and it can't run off easily, storm drains get clogged, roads wash out, etc. The storm that hit NH this last time was not typical. We lived there 30+ years and never saw anything like it before.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
HELLO SOUTHWARD BOUND!
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY & PM!
I APPRECIATE IT ALL!
I was truly under the impression, that NO FLOOD ZONE, meant exactly that
I guess that a basement is probably NOT a good idea, in these areas, right??

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
TAKE CARE,
COUNTRYLV22
Most homes will have basements, and I wouldn't want to be without one. I desperately wanted a basement in the home we bought (we retired south), but the opposite is true. There are few homes with basements here. I would much prefer to have a basement.

We don't worry too much about flood insurance as it's pretty worthless when it comes to collecting. I understand that in some instances "flood" can be defined as accumulation of water over a certain depth. I know of a family that had some 12" of water in the basement and it wasn't covered by their flood insurance policy because it had to be a minimum depth (I don't remember how many feet - maybe 3 or 4?) to qualify. What you pay out in premiums isn't worth it in the end unless you really are in flood prone area, as in low lying areas, near lakes, rivers, streams that are known to regularly overflow.

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-13-2007 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire