Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:26 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

It is better to be ABOVE 1,000ft elevation in NH during the summer to shave a few degrees of the high temps- along with a touch less humidity. The valley areas get longer periods of sustained humidity and heat compared to the hill towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictum9 View Post
How much cooler is it than Maryland? This summer was awful here. Outside felt like stepping into a sauna. Had to run AC 7/24, even at night. I realize summers are hot and humid but it cannot possibly be as bad as Virginia?

Looking at climate data, they suggest it's a good 5-10 degrees cooler than DC area.

Humidity I don't mind, it's a two-edged sword, since things grow so well with humidity. Western states have far less humidity but the climate is less suitable for growing, Colorado is high desert climate for example. I want humidity but not the heat.
Summer low temps in NH are MUCH MUCH better than MD. You can easily subtract 10F off the lows. Highs will be 5-10F cooler. The further north you go in NH the cooler it gets. Southern NH does tend to get a 2-3 week period of heat and humidity, but that is nothing at all compared to the Mid Atlantic and Southeast.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:12 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,208 times
I moved from the Annapolis area 2.5 years ago. The summers here can be in the 90s for short periods of time but the nights cool down a lot so it is never as bad as it was in Maryland/DC/VA. We did almost break down this summer and get a window A/C but Sears was out the day my husband went. We survived.

In Maryland there were summers where we had AC on 24/7 from May-October -- at most here you will get a couple of weeks (not consecutive, usually) of uncomfortably hot weather in July and maybe the beginning of August, depending on where you live.

Ceiling fans, attic fans, window fans -- usually they are enough to keep the house comfortable. My house is so well insulated that if I keep the shades down and windows closed when it's 90 it stays comfortable unless the heat wave is so severe that it doesn't cool down at night.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM

78 posts, read 136,561 times
This is comforting to know. I think I tolerate cold better than the heat. You can dress for the cold but not much you can do about the heat, when outside.

One problem with MD/VA area is that it gets very cold and windy in the winter. Granted not as cold as NH but close I think. The winter is shorter but not mild at all.

So in DC area you the worst of both worlds: Very hot, suffocating summers and pretty cold winters. And windy. And you don't have much snow, which to me, is a major disappointment -- I find snowy areas a lot more pretty and inspirational, there is nothing like snow covered area on a sunny day, a breathtaking sight. Winter with snow is my favorite season.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Dictum: I feel your pain! I live in Laurel, MD I was very surprised when I moved to Del for college thinking I was escaping a bit of winter going south... was not surprised for all the wind that just cuts right through making it feel just as cold - but without the snow to at least make it look like winter (instead you just get bare & brown blah).

Old 11-10-2010, 12:58 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
It definitely still gets hot in the summers in New Hampshire, and this is coming from an Alabama native. When I lived up there, I was blown away by the fact that they still have hot, humid summers. My first summer there was in '02, and my last was '05, before I moved down to Asheville (not something I would have chosen, but that's where life took me). The summers in NH obviously were nothing compared to Alabama summers, but I was taken aback by how hot and humid they actually were. Now, living here in Asheville, our summers are very similar to New England; highs in the mid to high 80's, cools off nicely at night due to the elevation (I'm not sure what makes it cool off nicely at night in NH). I live at about 2400 feet above sea level, so if I'm going to be down South, this is the place. But man am I ready to get to NH! The only thing that is better here in the summer is NO bugs whatsoever (where I live at least). Of course if you go out hiking and stuff you'll get bitten, but those bugs up there are rough. Especially the black flies!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:08 AM

78 posts, read 136,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It is better to be ABOVE 1,000ft elevation in NH during the summer to shave a few degrees of the high temps- along with a touch less humidity. The valley areas get longer periods of sustained humidity and heat compared to the hill towns.

Here is an elevation map. Looks like you have to be north / west of Concord.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2014 at 05:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire