Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,784 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some insight as I prepare to move to the Manchester from out-of-state. I prefer a more suburban setting and will likely be using parochial schools for my grammar school children. I would like to remain within about a 20 minute drive from the city and am looking for a community with nice neighborhoods. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 PM

71 posts, read 172,106 times
Bedford, it's commuting distance to Manchester.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 AM

452 posts, read 1,731,594 times
Goffstown, because it's 10 to 15 mins. out of Manchester and this....
The Villa Augustina School - Home

Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,941,024 times
Here is a list of parochial and Christian schools in New Hampshire:
New Hampshire (NH) Christian, Religious & Parochial Schools Online

There are some suburban areas in the outskirts of Manchester, or for more rural/suburban, either of the above suggestions would work (Goffstown & Bedford) and you might also consider Merrimack, Candia, or Londonderry. Each of these communities has various amenities (playgrounds, sports, etc) and your choice would likely depend on your budget and your families wants/needs list. Look forward to reading more answers, and welcome to the forum

Old 08-27-2009, 09:39 AM

11 posts, read 28,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibodeau View Post
Goffstown, because it's 10 to 15 mins. out of Manchester and this....
The Villa Augustina School - Home
This particular school is having a hard time. They almost closed this year. It is best to plan for that if you choose this school. The Parents and community stepped in and saved it but for how long is unknown for now.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 AM

11 posts, read 28,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neyankee View Post
I am looking for some insight as I prepare to move to the Manchester from out-of-state. I prefer a more suburban setting and will likely be using parochial schools for my grammar school children. I would like to remain within about a 20 minute drive from the city and am looking for a community with nice neighborhoods. Any suggestions?
People are going to say stay away from Manchester but you will find most who do don't live their. As with any city yes there are areas to stay away from. But there are very good areas as well. If you want Suburbs in Manchester look in the area Rail Road st. Actually stay on RR street. as it is well hidden in a very populated part of the city. If you look on a map you can't tell but it is. Also look at Mast Rd heading toward Panardville. Electric St is good as well. Goffstown Rd and Dunbarton Rd are nice areas as well. Stark Lane is a hidden gem. In Manchester but a small town feel and very few know it is their or even how to find it. Up along Mammouth Rd on the hooksett end is good and There is a very good community on and around Crescent rd on the south end. Or you can go north of Webster st and join Manchester's North end.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
We just drove the north end of Elm Street in Manchester. Stunning old houses within a few minures walk to downtown.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times
the north end has expanded greatly in the past two decades - new homes and mcmansions dot the area around SNHU and roads were extended to accommodate them. River Rd has also seen a lot of building.

edited to add that Manchester is easily accessible from most neighboring towns. Candia is only 15 minutes away from downtown. Deerfield is also doable in 20 - 30 minutes, so that's stretching it a bit. You'll also be happy in Hooksett or Auburn.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,618 times
I second Goffstown, quick drive to Manchester and the "traffic" is a joke compared to any other city. Great community and great area, lots of privacy but also lots of developers trying to build on every piece of available land... just beware of that if buying a house with a large backyard and " no possibility of future expansion" ... thats what they told my family and ten years later we have 4 streets running behind our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire