Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 06:36 PM

518 posts, read 1,792,375 times

Advertisements

Do grey days out number the sunny days in the fall and winter months? I remember visiting the Berkshires in Ma and thinking how little the sun shines, because of the mountains blocking a few hours after sunrise and sunset. And also the cloud coverage over the mountains did not help with the sun shining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
Do grey days out number the sunny days in the fall and winter months? I remember visiting the Berkshires in Ma and thinking how little the sun shines, because of the mountains blocking a few hours after sunrise and sunset. And also the cloud coverage over the mountains did not help with the sun shining.
In southern NH by Nashua I have no complaints about "grey" vs. "sunny" cold days. I've noticed winters seem to have more sunny days (even if there is snow on the ground) than other locations I've lived further south on the east coast.

That said, if you have a mountain/hill/trees blocking sunrise/sunset...obviously this will affect the lighting on your home. We have a wooded property...the sky is light but our property is darker. Skylights would help of course if concerned about interior lighting.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:26 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,648 times
When I grew up in Nashua, we were in a low valley and I remember seeing the sun only a few hours it felt like before it disappeared behind hills.

Up north in Belmont, last year it felt like we were in cloudy darkness quite a bit, and it took getting used to only seeing the sun for a few hours. I suffer from S.A.D. or Seasonal Affective Disorder, a lot of us in NE seem to have this lack of sunshine issue.

What I have found helps is Vitamin D, 15 minutes of sunlight a day, whether it be outdoors even just to get the mail, or joining up with a suntan salon. I used to crawl into the tanning bed fully clothed just to get zapped with rays and It did wonders for me.

There are natural light lamps you can purchase, and natural light goggles. I call them my happy glasses, 30 minutes during long days of grey with my happy glasses on really cheers me up.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,731 times
I just had a flashback to the Northern Exposure episode where Walt got addicted to his headband light.

I'm not far from Belmont and last winter didn't seem overly dreary to me, but it might be because I'm facing a lake and up on a hill. I didn't really notice how many of the days were cloudy vs. sunny.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
I have 50% Norwegian heritage so I absolutely love the lower intensity sun angle in NH. I find the winter months to be much sunnier compared to the dreadfully dreary Great Lakes region. NH gets plenty of sunny days in the winter compared to many other places. It is not the "intensly direct" sun angle of the lower latitudes, but it is out. It also helps to take up a sport or hobby during the winter months. You will feel more energetic as a result.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It also helps to take up a sport or hobby during the winter months. You will feel more energetic as a result.
This sport or hobby doesn't have to be physically intense either (like snowshoeing), it could be something as simple as bird watching outdoors. Properly dressed you can be very warm/comfortable even sitting still!

I say this because in other posts people have brought up older folks/physical challenges.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:46 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
This sport or hobby doesn't have to be physically intense either (like snowshoeing), it could be something as simple as bird watching outdoors. Properly dressed you can be very warm/comfortable even sitting still!

I say this because in other posts people have brought up older folks/physical challenges.
Winter gear has also improved greatly over the years so you can still feel quite comfortable even when the temps are very low as well.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I just had a flashback to the Northern Exposure episode where Walt got addicted to his headband light.

I'm not far from Belmont and last winter didn't seem overly dreary to me, but it might be because I'm facing a lake and up on a hill. I didn't really notice how many of the days were cloudy vs. sunny.
LOL I love my light goggles! My happy glasses have been a life saver, thank you dad!

I pretend I'm in the tropics with a warm breeze and can smell the sea salt. It's great when days become dreadfully cold and grey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire