Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 AM

42 posts, read 161,232 times

Advertisements

Ok, not that I'm getting more *real* info on NH, I'm liking it even more. I know it's cold there and I have been watching the weather online for over a year and seek out cool webcams also to monitor the weather (rain, snowfall, sunny days, etc..). My question is how cold is it really? I was in CT a few years ago in Feb and it was in the low 20's. I drove in the snow and was out in the weather---It wasn't that bad! Here in CA, cold means high low 50's during the day and it can get into the mid 30's at night. Personally, the winters here just don't do it for me and they are not cold enough, long enough. I'm getting to where I just can't take the summers anymore. The hot weather starts in late June and can last until late Oct. We have many, many days that are over 100 and last year we had a few miserable days that were 116. I'd much rather bare the winter than these summers.

What do you all think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Well I hear you on the unbearable summers, I'm in south Florida, summer is our only season. I was in NH in January. Although the week I was there it didn't snow it was cold. BUT it wasn't unbearable.. One of the days the high was only in the single digits. This was the first time I had ever been in anything lower than about 45 . I didn't find it terrible at all. I layered up had on a hat, gloves and stockings under my pants.. I was fine. I tell you what as much as people up north complain that the winters are long and hard they don't know what its like to have 100 for months straight then when you do get a "break from it and "winter" sets in , your days are a "cool" 85 degress with 90% humitidy. .I always try to explain it to them like imagine if your winter lasted all year round year after year after year no change.., you would be sick of it right.. Its the same with summer, year after year after year, sun every day for months straight.. I usually get the ewwww kinda face lol.. I think you could hack the winters.. shop smart and you'll be okay

Old 05-16-2007, 11:38 AM

453 posts, read 2,100,635 times
from my limited experience in NH, the cold is not as intense as it is in places with more humidity. i was there in march for a job interview and it was 5 degrees outside at night, and i went to get something out of my car while wearing shorts and a t-shirt and it felt similar to 20 degrees in alabama. it was still cold, but lower humidity will help the "wind chill." i think the toughest part about the cold in new hampshire will simply be that it stays very cold for long periods of time.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:38 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Smile It depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMomto4 View Post
Ok, not that I'm getting more *real* info on NH, I'm liking it even more. I know it's cold there and I have been watching the weather online for over a year and seek out cool webcams also to monitor the weather (rain, snowfall, sunny days, etc..). My question is how cold is it really? I was in CT a few years ago in Feb and it was in the low 20's. I drove in the snow and was out in the weather---It wasn't that bad! Here in CA, cold means high low 50's during the day and it can get into the mid 30's at night. Personally, the winters here just don't do it for me and they are not cold enough, long enough. I'm getting to where I just can't take the summers anymore. The hot weather starts in late June and can last until late Oct. We have many, many days that are over 100 and last year we had a few miserable days that were 116. I'd much rather bare the winter than these summers.

What do you all think??
The seacoast of NH probably has the warmest climate out of all the regions in the state. The Merrimack Valley also is one of the warmer areas during the winter season. The lakes region in the central portion of the state has colder temperatures in the winter and shorter summers. The White Mountains region has very long cold winters with short summers. The great north woods in Coos County has extremely long winters with a lot of snow and brutal cold.
The part of NH that is the coldest would be areas north of Franconia Notch. Towns like Whitefield, Bethlehem, and Berlin actually registered temperatures close to -30F this past March. The low temperatures during the winter in the Seacoast and Merrimack Valley are typically in the teens as an average. The further north you go and into the interior the colder it gets.
For more information on the various regions look at this site
http://www.visitnh.gov/about-new-hampshire/maps-and-regions/maps.aspx (broken link)

Old 05-16-2007, 11:47 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Post I was in NH in January 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Well I hear you on the unbearable summers, I'm in south Florida, summer is our only season. I was in NH in January. Although the week I was there it didn't snow it was cold. BUT it wasn't unbearable.. One of the days the high was only in the single digits. This was the first time I had ever been in anything lower than about 45 . I didn't find it terrible at all. I layered up had on a hat, gloves and stockings under my pants.. I was fine. I tell you what as much as people up north complain that the winters are long and hard they don't know what its like to have 100 for months straight then when you do get a "break from it and "winter" sets in , your days are a "cool" 85 degress with 90% humitidy. .I always try to explain it to them like imagine if your winter lasted all year round year after year after year no change.., you would be sick of it right.. Its the same with summer, year after year after year, sun every day for months straight.. I usually get the ewwww kinda face lol.. I think you could hack the winters.. shop smart and you'll be okay
My first trip to NH was in January 2004. Lets just say it was unbelievably cold! I was traveling up I-93 and was watching my car thermometer drop from about 10F all the way down to -14F after I went through the Franconia Notch on my way to a smaller town. The next morning the low temperature was -30F and it did not feel to bad because the wind was calm. Their is nothing like a crystal clear winter morning with 2 feet of snow on the ground, the smell of wood burning stoves in the air, and temperatures colder than
-25F. I later checked the records and realized that Mount Washington dropped close to -45F that same month! Luckily, I was prepared for the severe winter cold, but had no idea that the cold would be that intense!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Had -35 below zero this year outside my place. I have been on job sites where at times you can spit and it will actually freeze before it hits the ground. (This is without exaggeration by the way) So Yes we can get cold, but on days with no wind even 35 below 0 isn't bad. Besides It sucks to go ice fishing when it is over 70 degrees. LOL

Old 05-16-2007, 12:31 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
I live in Northern NH and there were times it was cold, I think our thermometer showed -30 a couple of days, and between that and 0 for a week with some days not getting much above 0 degrees. We lived in an old farmhouse during most of the winter that had little to no insulation and some days I swear, it was colder inside that house than outside We had the heat up, but you wouldn't know it.

Once we bought our house, which has insulation (YAY!!!!!!), we were able to keep the thermostat around 64-66 during the day and be comfy.

When it was very cold, we just dressed in layers and had no problems, although it did take some getting used to, for me. It only took a couple of days, though, no big deal. (You also get the benefit of the look of "instant weight loss" when it gets warmer and you shed all those layers! <g>)

Last summer, I loved it up here - when our family and friends "back home" were sweltering in 95-100 degree with 90% humidity, it was in the high 70s to low 80s with much less humidity.

Personally, I'd rather live where it is cooler/colder than where it's hot all the time - after all, you can only take off so many clothes....but you can layer on tons of them!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
I live in Northern NH and there were times it was cold, I think our thermometer showed -30 a couple of days, and between that and 0 for a week with some days not getting much above 0 degrees. We lived in an old farmhouse during most of the winter that had little to no insulation and some days I swear, it was colder inside that house than outside We had the heat up, but you wouldn't know it.

Once we bought our house, which has insulation (YAY!!!!!!), we were able to keep the thermostat around 64-66 during the day and be comfy.

When it was very cold, we just dressed in layers and had no problems, although it did take some getting used to, for me. It only took a couple of days, though, no big deal. (You also get the benefit of the look of "instant weight loss" when it gets warmer and you shed all those layers! <g>)

Last summer, I loved it up here - when our family and friends "back home" were sweltering in 95-100 degree with 90% humidity, it was in the high 70s to low 80s with much less humidity.

Personally, I'd rather live where it is cooler/colder than where it's hot all the time - after all, you can only take off so many clothes....but you can layer on tons of them!
LOL---Very true!! My kids NEVER put on a jacket here and I usually wear sweatshirts and jeans when it's winter. We mostly have spring and summer weather. Winter means a little rain and fall......Well, we have fall in late Nov through December. We actually have a few liquid amber trees that give a little color around Christmas! LOL!!

Now, if my husband could only find a job out there I'd pack up today. I think it will be hard to find work when we're living so far away.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:34 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMomto4 View Post
Now, if my husband could only find a job out there I'd pack up today. I think it will be hard to find work when we're living so far away.
That's true - when we decided to move, we were in NYS - my husband wanted a career change and googled the type of work he wanted in New Hampshire - found a place, called the owner on a Wednesday morning, Wednesday afternoon we were in the care to a motel here, Thursday morning he interviewed, Thursday night he got the call he was hired - two weeks later we were packed up and moved up <g>.....It might be a bit more difficult coming from California, though.

I would suggest nosing around to see where you might want to live in NH, check out jobs in that area, contact employers, plan a vacation trip and combine that with interviews and see what happens. My "philosophy" has always been that if something is meant to be, it will happen - so give it a shot - you get a vacation, you get to come to a great state and maybe get a job in the process!

With us, everything happened so fast, we figured we were meant to be in this area for whatever reason, so we just did it....of course it was easier for us than it will be for you, not only because of the distance involved, but our children are also grown, so we didn't need to worry about schools, if the kids would want to move, etc.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
That's true - when we decided to move, we were in NYS - my husband wanted a career change and googled the type of work he wanted in New Hampshire - found a place, called the owner on a Wednesday morning, Wednesday afternoon we were in the care to a motel here, Thursday morning he interviewed, Thursday night he got the call he was hired - two weeks later we were packed up and moved up <g>.....It might be a bit more difficult coming from California, though.

I would suggest nosing around to see where you might want to live in NH, check out jobs in that area, contact employers, plan a vacation trip and combine that with interviews and see what happens. My "philosophy" has always been that if something is meant to be, it will happen - so give it a shot - you get a vacation, you get to come to a great state and maybe get a job in the process!

With us, everything happened so fast, we figured we were meant to be in this area for whatever reason, so we just did it....of course it was easier for us than it will be for you, not only because of the distance involved, but our children are also grown, so we didn't need to worry about schools, if the kids would want to move, etc.
My husband is in the HVAC field so I have been lurking on JobsinNH.com and found there are quite a few nice sounding companies to work for. We are trying to plan some kind of trip out there late in the fall but it's so hard. We've already hinted around to the kids and surprisingly they are for it---even the older teens! Guess they are sick of it here too.

I agree with you, if it is meant to be it will happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire