Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,787 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is relocating to Merrimack. We've got an almost 5 year old son and a 6 month old daughter. My son is due to start kindergarten in September, so it's important to us that the town has public K and an overall good system (which I understand is relative to your property taxes).

Could someone help me out with surrounding towns? I've found a few but am sure there are more that I'm missing. Merrimack, Nashua, Hollis, Amherst, Bedford, Mont Vernon (or is it Mount Vernon?), Manchester, Londonderry, Bow... Hudson Litchfield and Milton are out as there is no K there. We'd like to be w/in ~10-20 miles of Merrimack.

I am not a "country" or "outdoorsy" person. We're moving up from Medford MA, which is minutes away from Boston, somewhat of a smaller town feel but definately not the "sticks". IMHO if you have a lot of trees in your backyard and are more than a 10-15 minute ride from a major city, mall or bigger store (besides walmart lol), then you're in the sticks!

We want a nice house, under $300k. I've been looking at Nashua and found a lot of nice houses, but it's difficult to tell if they're in a nice area. I know the "tree" streets area is bad, but where else? From my very preliminary research, I think that Nashua may be the town for us...

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 09:43 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
Try Londonderry

Old 05-02-2007, 06:05 PM

29 posts, read 245,283 times
Moving from Medford, Nashua will be the closest to what you know now.
I would suggest you spend several Saturdays and just drive through all the parts of Nashua, etc.
You're only an hour away, it's worth the time spent driving to check things out.
Also, Merrimack is a 'toll' town. To access the town to/from the highway you have to pay the tolls.
Nashua has a lot of elementary schools, so you'll want to check them carefully when you are looking at houses.
Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Yac; 05-03-2007 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: realtor site link edited out

Old 05-02-2007, 07:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,470,636 times
Manchester has K. You where misinformed when told otherwise.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:20 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,661,760 times
Default Locals know the way around the tolls! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDeb View Post
Moving from Medford, Nashua will be the closest to what you know now.
I would suggest you spend several Saturdays and just drive through all the parts of Nashua, etc.
You're only an hour away, it's worth the time spent driving to check things out.
Also, Merrimack is a 'toll' town. To access the town to/from the highway you have to pay the tolls.
Nashua has a lot of elementary schools, so you'll want to check them carefully when you are looking at houses.
Best of luck to you.
It doesn't take the locals to learn how to get around the tolls, if they so desire. Actually, the tolls are no big deal. The access to the highway is convenient from just about any part of town. From the farthest northwest corner of Merrimack (Amherst town line) to the tolls it took me 10 mins, and then it's a clear shot to work, or to Boston. Commutes are not bad, especially once you get into the groove.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,787 times
NHYRNUT: I know there's K in Manchester... I said "Hudson Litchfield and Milton are out as there is no K there", since they're in the general area...

NHDeb and Southwardbound - thank you! I printed off a bunch of home fact sheets - the bulk of them are in Manchester, some are in Merrimack and Nashua. We're going to meet with a realtor on Sat 6/2 (we're going to be on vacation until then)... I cannot believe the value of homes up there. My friend and I are both looking for the same kind of house (3+ bedrooms, 7-8 total rooms) but she's looking in MA and her houses are looking $350-$400k! We've seen nothing over $275!! Un-real!

I also can't get over the difference between the 2 markets as far as how quickly homes sell. my friend has been making plans to go see homes when she gets out of work and her agent is calling her mid day to say never mind that home is gone! I've been 'watching' the same homes do nothing but stay in the market, some dropping in price!

Our RE agent also told us about the tolls, and mentioned that once we've been in town a bit, we'll find our ways around them. Also dh's job will likely pick up the cost of a toll pass transponder thingy (lol, so technical huh?)

Once again, thanks for the tips and advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire