Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 PM

71 posts, read 261,312 times

Advertisements

I am coming. I am leaving Sunday night and should be up there Monday morning! Very excited and worried. I need to find a home and a good job within a few days!! Keep your eyes out for a Cadillac with Maryland tags!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 07:53 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,985,790 times
drive safe! Take the route through PA - up the '80s.You can cross at the Tappan Zee Bridge. Even at night, there's no 'off-time' through NJ, it's always like driving our beltway PA is very quiet.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:34 PM

YES!!! I made it!! What a wonderful state. My only problem is all the overpasses are under construction?? My navigation has me going way back and around to the same spot? I am slowly getting used to it. I have never met so many nice people in one place!

Old 09-21-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs C View Post
YES!!! I made it!! What a wonderful state.
Great! how was the drive? glad you made it. And this is a lovely time to be there!

Quote:
My only problem is all the overpasses are under construction?? My navigation has me going way back and around to the same spot?
lol! well, you've heard the adage 'you can't get there from here!' ?

Quote:
I am slowly getting used to it. I have never met so many nice people in one place!
Kinda makes you wonder why everyone is so convinced that NH people are unfriendly!

So where are you aiming for? I know you're looking for autobody work, just about everywhere has something (everyone's got cars, and everyone needs work!).

Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 PM

The drive was okay. The New York part of it was crazy!!! They drive like it is a race. I went through there at about 5 am. I found a job within about 10 minutes of being up here. I like it and they say they are busy and it is only going to get busier! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I am still looking for a plac to call home. For now I am staying in a little motel. The interenet connection is real bad. I drove around and explored some today and I really like Rochester. I dont miss Maryland at all, just my family. I cant wait until they get up here!!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 PM

39 posts, read 78,437 times
Quote:
The drive was okay. The New York part of it was crazy!!! They drive like it is a race. I went through there at about 5 am. I found a job within about 10 minutes of being up here. I like it and they say they are busy and it is only going to get busier! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I am still looking for a plac to call home. For now I am staying in a little motel. The interenet connection is real bad. I drove around and explored some today and I really like Rochester. I dont miss Maryland at all, just my family. I cant wait until they get up here!!
Thanks for posting an update! I've been following your thread - my husband and I are moving in December and he is an auto body tech. Hearing you found work so fast is great news for us! We plan to be in the Dover area - close to Portsmouth and Rochester, both "bigger" cities we hope will be good for him for work.

Keep us posted, please!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:48 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,895,244 times
Wow that is FANTASTIC that you found work right away. So many people out of work, but if you know your trade, that makes all the difference. I noticed in one of your earlier posts you made a comment about all of the overpasses being under construction--yes, that's happening all across the state. Lots of stimulus $$ along with long-planned construction up Route 93 from the Massachusetts border up to Manchester. They've got to widen or replace the bridges before they can widen the roads Glad that you're getting to explore a bit. It's getting a bit more colorful each day (foliage)

Quote:

Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,221,249 times
I was born and raised in Rochester. I still have family there. For some reason Rochester seems to get a bum rap on this forum but there alot of real neat places on the outskirts of the city. There's a ton of small lakes, ponds and small rivers in that area.Some really nice rural areas if thats what your looking for. Have fun.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:10 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,544,333 times
I suggers you find an apartment in the area and lease it for a year. That will give you lots of time to find the exact house you are looking for.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:04 AM

That's great that you got a job that fast (I can't believe you drove through NY!!! It's usually better to skirt around the city and cross the Tappan Zee Bridge)! that's great.

Yeah, what Greg said about renting. Don't rush into buying a house right off. make sure that you and your family are really ok up there before that big a commitment. It is so much nicer than MD, though -and you're from one of the 'better' areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire