Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 12:36 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,789,028 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate next June from Georgia to the Lake Winni area. I found several listings for some nice acreage plus a small mobile home. We really, really want to get some property, so this might be our only option. We would be able to pay cash for the property and then live in the mobile home for 2-3 years until I go back to work and we are able to build a house.

Of course, my husband is all for this plan, but I have concerns (since I would be stuck in the mobile home all day with one or both of the kids (ages 2 and 4 by that time) and our 2 dogs during my first ever winter with snow)

Is it feasible to live in a mobile home in the NH winter? (say in the area of Ossipee or Tuftonboro) Will we just freeze in that metal box or what?

Of course, the advantage is that we get the acreage (9+ which you just can't beat) and the well/ septic is already in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 12:54 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,224,087 times
That's a beautiful area.I have some friends in that area who lived in mobile homes while they built their houses. They all had wood stoves as a extra heat source and their homes were always toasty warm when i visited.I would have a back-up heat source no matter what kind of house i lived in up that way. Once you figure out all the neat winter things to do you wont be "stuck" in the house to often. Thats definatly a winter wonderland up there. My cabin in is the next town over You'll love that area. Good Luck

Old 10-15-2009, 12:59 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,569,414 times
This is a good way to gain entry to the lakes area. I doubt if current zoning would let you move a trailer on to your own land anymore.

When we were in college we lived in a small mobil home. It was cold at times in the winter and hot in the summer but it was cheap. BTW - Cold in NH is a lot colder than cold in Georgia.

Adding insulation and a good skirt between the trailer and the ground helps a lot in keeping the place warm. Be ready to make frozen pipe repairs. Building a roof over the space on the door side adds to decent weather living space.

Good luck.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:30 PM

452 posts, read 1,720,098 times
It's a great way to get started when money is a bit short. Mobile homes are notorious for their 2 inch walls, with lack of insulation, and poor quality windows. Ken's idea concerning wood heat is an alternative to the high heating bills you may encounter. Closing and insulating the underside or skirting of the building, as Greg mentioned, will cut down on wind infiltration and heat loss from below and may save a frozen pipe or two. There are additional methods for insuring exposed piping under the building is protected, as well as heating ducts that exist under the home.

You may also consider sealing the windows for the heating season with the use of shrink type poly. This one item will be cost effective in a very short period of time. It can be removed for the summer and, if careful, reused the next season with a new application of 2 sided tape or purchase new as needed.

Best of luck with your endeavor. Sweat equity is always the best way to save money during construction.......if done correctly, that is.

And, needles to say, Consider an inspection/testing prior to closing. It could very well be the best money spent on your new purchase.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM

2 inch walls sounds like a bad idea in NH, but if we could have a woodstove, that would be great. My husband loves our woodstove here in Noth GA. I wasn't sure if it was safe to have one in a mobile home or what. In such a small area, one stove could keep the place at like 80 degrees! I do wonder if it would be safe with a 2 year old running around though. (our stove is inside of our double sided fireplace, so we never had a problem with our older son and we mostly used to stove in the evenings after he was asleep.

Good idea about having the place inspected and weatherized. Hopefully we would have time to do a few "winterizing" projects when we arrive in June. (hubby is good at DIY stuff too)

Old 10-15-2009, 04:59 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,107,681 times
"I doubt if current zoning would let you move a trailer on to your own land anymore."

exactly...check out the zoning laws re: this property. You may not be allowed to live in the trailer. You must consider if the price is worth it for just the land, because chances are you will have to build right away. Also consider if there is a view on the property site, because if there is, chances are the value will double for tax purposes.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
"I doubt if current zoning would let you move a trailer on to your own land anymore."

exactly...check out the zoning laws re: this property. You may not be allowed to live in the trailer. You must consider if the price is worth it for just the land, because chances are you will have to build right away. Also consider if there is a view on the property site, because if there is, chances are the value will double for tax purposes.
Good points. I forgot about that pesky "view tax". Some places are very seasonal around the lake too, so we would have to make sure we could actually occupy the structure for an extended time.

We are planning to speak with a few real estate agents while we are in town in Dec. if they are in the office during the Christmas week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire