U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 08:19 PM

14 posts, read 40,714 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to New Hampshire at the beginning of next year and are looking into a few areas. I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight about Hopkinton? I've contacted a realtor and she told me the schools were really good. Does this town have a small town feel? Is there an actual "town" where I can find commerce or do I need to drive pretty far to find it?
Thanks for any input!
Kelly
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 PM

23,820 posts, read 41,154,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killiansmommy View Post
We're relocating to New Hampshire at the beginning of next year and are looking into a few areas. I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight about Hopkinton? I've contacted a realtor and she told me the schools were really good. Does this town have a small town feel? Is there an actual "town" where I can find commerce or do I need to drive pretty far to find it?
Thanks for any input!
Kelly
Hopkinton has very good schools, but insanely high property taxes. It has become a town mostly for the wealthy. It is close to the Concord hospital and Concord businesses and shopping. Hopkinton doesn't a big commercial base (hence the high property taxes), but is very close to services. If you are looking in the Merrimack County area I would recommend the towns of Newbury, Dunbarton, Epsom, and Bradford if you are looking for a slightly less severe property tax burden.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 AM

3,034 posts, read 8,635,083 times
Hopkinton has a beautiful village. Concord is the closest city with all the amenities. Hopkinton does have a small town feel. You will find it is home to a lot of lawyers, state workers and politicians because of it's proximity to Concord and the state capitol.

It's very scenic with a covered rr bridge. Kimball Pond is where residents swim in the summer and is covered by red cross life guards.

It's a beautiful town.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:45 AM

14 posts, read 40,714 times
Thanks everyone! The property taxes do seem to be insanely high but worth it if the schools are good. Do you know anything about Londonderry? Are the schools good there because the property tax seems a little bit more affordable? Does it have that small town feel with a downtown or anything like that?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killiansmommy View Post
Thanks everyone! The property taxes do seem to be insanely high but worth it if the schools are good. Do you know anything about Londonderry? Are the schools good there because the property tax seems a little bit more affordable? Does it have that small town feel with a downtown or anything like that?
Londonderry is in the Mass commuter corridor zone. That area is far more suburbanized overall as well as built up. If you are looking for a town with a small village center, very good schools, and lower taxes I would look at Weare, NH. It is only a 20 minute drive to Concord.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:04 AM

3,712 posts, read 10,419,691 times
Londonderry has a great reputation, and a killer marching band. It also has one of the best real estate agents: ValerieC!! If you need any help, she's got great info and a wonderful person (even if you don' t need an agent!).

Old 11-02-2009, 10:06 AM

If you can afford Hopkinton I would go for it.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:46 AM

4,636 posts, read 13,123,838 times
KilliansMommy, I live and work in Londonderry. By New Hampshire standards, this is not a "small town". We had nearly 25,000 people in 2007, and that number is rising. There is no downtown (we visit Derry, the next town over), to shop "downtown"). While we don't have a downtown, we do have plenty shopping in town, including 3 choices for grocery. There are also farms that have various u-pick options, from strawberries, blueberries, apples, raspberries, etc.

The quality of schools are, in my opinion, Londonderry's biggest attraction. Their reputation for high standards is what attracted me to the town years ago. If you have an interest in music programs for your kids, Londonderry has one of the most active in the state, starting with the elementary grades. The high school band travels extensively, including a yearly trip to NYC for the St. Patrick's Day parade. They also traveled to the most recent presidential inarguration, Beijing China for pre-olympic celebrations, and will be traveling (for the 4th time) to Pasadena, California to participate in the Tournament of Roses parade. I love the fact that BAND is open to everyone who wants to participate, NOT just for the 'superstar performers', and is the largest student population in the school!

If you have any questions on specifics of Londonderry or other towns in southern NH (especially south of Concord--the areas I know best) I'm happy to help with some answers...

Old 11-04-2009, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 13,497 times
Hopkinton is a charming town -- quintessential New England, with the white steepled church, no traffic lights, old and stately homes, and spectacular views in some neighborhoods, but only a short drive to Concord, which has good shopping. Schools have an excellent reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire