U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:25 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,296,642 times

Advertisements

BOW, N.H. -- A hunter from Bow is aghast that someone called the police to complain because he had a deer carcass hanging in his yard.

Henry Ladd, 81, has been hunting since he was 13. For years, he said, he has hung the carcasses of the animals he's killed in the New Hampshire woods in his yard before they are cut up so they can be eaten.

But on Halloween night, someone called police and complained. Police investigated but said Ladd had done nothing wrong.

Henry Ladd Jr. told the Concord Monitor hunting is a way of life for the family. The Ladds live two doors from each other and said their concern is about the changing social landscape of the town where they were born.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 05:42 PM

215 posts, read 557,832 times
I find this very sad. Here in the great north woods hunting is a way of life . Camouflage is the style to wear. It saddens me to hear that people move to our state who don't understand or care about ,what is a life long hobby and tradition. I myself have hunted since I was 12 years old. I was taught by my father who was taught by his father. At least the police backed the hunter up. It is truly a sad state of affairs when you can't prepare what amounts to your winter food supply in your own yard. As for me , I have yet to get my deer but my freezer has a supply of rabbit and partridge taken earlier in the season.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:32 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,866,694 times
This stuff ticks me off-my husband works with people who have recently moved to NH and they complain about the hunters walking down route 11 with their guns heading into the woods. They also complain about hunting. I also get ticked off at articles I have read about people who move to NH next to gun ranges and demand the range shut down or they move next to farms and complain about the smell.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM

885 posts, read 2,538,008 times
Did you hear about the people who moved to Epping? They complained to the police that the lady next door was a serial killer. Sheesh.

But I jest. Lets not typecast all out of staters. There are also people who move into the state who already hunt, or want to learn the traditions and skills of hunting, and who want to teach their kids the same skills. You don't read articles about them - because they don't make people aghast or ticked off.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 PM

18,053 posts, read 24,802,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Did you hear about the people who moved to Epping? They complained to the police that the lady next door was a serial killer. Sheesh.

But I jest. Lets not typecast all out of staters. There are also people who move into the state who already hunt, or want to learn the traditions and skills of hunting, and who want to teach their kids the same skills. You don't read articles about them - because they don't make people aghast or ticked off.
True.

What needs to be done, is you guys put a wall up around the state, and any of the troublemakers who move in get thrown out never to return. The others stay.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:42 PM

24,297 posts, read 41,843,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
This stuff ticks me off-my husband works with people who have recently moved to NH and they complain about the hunters walking down route 11 with their guns heading into the woods. They also complain about hunting. I also get ticked off at articles I have read about people who move to NH next to gun ranges and demand the range shut down or they move next to farms and complain about the smell.
Yes, those NIMBY city slickers annoy me as well. If one moves to a rural area you have to expect plenty of hunters.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 PM

1,771 posts, read 4,813,729 times
I dunno, I consider that article kind of positive. Three things happened:

1) The police made no-big-deal out of it, as they should
2) The person who complained learn "it's ok" (honestly, they may not have known)
3) It was written up in the paper to reinforce that its completely acceptable

People will always be shocked by something unfamiliar to them...what's important is the response- and in this case it was appropriate and publicized, and that is a positive outcome for the situation.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:06 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,866,694 times
Actually, I don't think Mr. Ladd would consider this a positive experience. Regardless of the outcome, I don't think most people would consider the police showing up on their doorstep a positive experience.

Perhaps the anonymous complainer should have done more research or approached their neighbor before calling the police. Could they not have called up a state agency to ask if this is "normal"? Why is the first reaction to call the police? Maybe they should have done more research before moving to NH. In my opinion, from what I have experienced and witnessed in my time living here, this is just one of many instances of people moving here for "cheaper housing" "open space" and even "good quality of life" and complain about NH traditions and things that make this a great state.

It remains to be seen if there will be a positive outcome from this. We don't know how this anonymous complainer will react. Will they accept this? I certainly hope so. Will they complain and try to get a ban on this? I hope not. Being in the newspaper you will not get only positive reactions but negative as well. I imagine after this being run in the Monitor you will have letters from both sides both defending this NH tradition and also letters complaining and saying that this should not be allowed.

And for the record, I do not believe the Concord Monitor published this story to reinforce hunting and hanging your kill as acceptable.

Last edited by nicolem; 11-13-2009 at 05:21 AM..

Old 11-13-2009, 05:21 AM

41,477 posts, read 56,535,206 times
Better to hang the deer in the woods. You can never get the blood stains out of the concrete if you hang it in the garage.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:00 AM

18,053 posts, read 24,802,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Better to hang the deer in the woods. You can never get the blood stains out of the concrete if you hang it in the garage.
Gotta skin and butcher it somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>