Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:20 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,579 times

Advertisements

For property taxes, you'd have to look at the town website.

I have heard rumors about drugs and there is some crime, but I think it's very safe. A few years ago there was a shoot-out at the Army/Navy store and every now and again you hear a wild story. But there is no bad neighborhood that I can think of and I can't imagine feeling unsafe anywhere in the whole area. I would feel very comfortable walking around by myself at night. My perception (which could be wrong) is that crime is more individual bad seeds than anything organized or rational - ie, some jerk getting drunk and beating his girlfriend rather than mugging a stranger.

Re schools, maybe I spoke out of turn because when I looked up the ratings online Kennett didn't do badly. However, anecdotally, it doesn't have a great reputation with the people I know. There are several private schools in the area (Fryeburg Academy in Maine and Brewster in Wolfeboro) that are supposed to be good. The family I know who did have a child in Kennett was very unhappy with it and ended up homeschooling. This is just a handful of families so take it with a grain of salt. Maybe there is someone on here with direct experience.

My heart is in the area you're talking about, I love it, it's beautiful, very safe, and someplace I could definitely see retiring. I have family living and planning on raising kids there (and sending them to Kennett one day), so I am not prejudiced against it by any means. Living there is a lifestyle decision, no one moves there to get rich or have the "best" education or whatever. And the lifestyle could be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 11:15 AM

497 posts, read 953,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
There are gangs....gangs out of outlet shoppers
Gangs of trout in our streams, Gangs of moose in our wood.

i've heard of, and have seen, gangs of kids living in this area having fun and enjoying where they are.

ok, now the real stuff:
Unfortunately, there is drug dealings, violence, and "gangs" just about everywhere in the US today. If you choose to live your life within the dealings of these type of folk, then you deal with it.

surely, madison where I am, and conway, our northern sister, are fine places to live, and are relatively "safe" burgs to raise families and retire.

I did here that the Bears had challenged the other animals to a sleep off....the owls declined.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
I just ckecked the Ossipee Lake webcam.What a beautiful day in N.H.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:56 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Are the White Mountains and Conway areas considered " Flood Zones"? We currently reside in Nevada, I remember watching the news years back and they mentioned NH floods very easily.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:01 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
[quote=Ken E;11732674]I just ckecked the Ossipee Lake webcam.What a beautiful day in N.H.[/quote

This has been the best November weather that I have seen in NH in years

Old 11-22-2009, 08:15 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
[quote=Brave Stranger;11736593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I just ckecked the Ossipee Lake webcam.What a beautiful day in N.H.[/quote

This has been the best November weather that I have seen in NH in years
Ya, I have been enjoying the sunny days. The GFS indicates that next week will begin the cooling trend. It is about time.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:11 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
Thanks for all the good info. My degree is in business (a bit of a cop-out on my part, but I couldn't think of anything else, so whatever). What kind of business sector jobs are available in the White Mountains area?

Also, I hear a lot of talk about community. If I'm a new guy from Alabama, just moved to New Hampshire, don't know anyone, how would I go about meeting people and becoming a part of the community? A lot of small town areas are quite difficult to make new friends in.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Church always works best for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Thanks for all the good info. My degree is in business (a bit of a cop-out on my part, but I couldn't think of anything else, so whatever). What kind of business sector jobs are available in the White Mountains area?

Also, I hear a lot of talk about community. If I'm a new guy from Alabama, just moved to New Hampshire, don't know anyone, how would I go about meeting people and becoming a part of the community? A lot of small town areas are quite difficult to make new friends in.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:49 PM

215 posts, read 583,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post

Try volunteering for different community organizations

Old 11-24-2009, 07:15 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,470 times
Join a sports league was my ticket...

Also I met a lot of people from web forums for the activities that I'm into (i.e. fishing and hunting.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire