Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:26 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times

Advertisements

This post is not at all intended to be negative, but there's been something I've been rather curious about: Do people living in New Hampshire feel disconnected from events in the rest of the U.S.? Beyond election season, I almost never hear NH mentioned in the national news (which is probably a good thing, as no news is good news) or really discussed at all in the media.

This intrigues me, as it's also a rather libertarian-minded state from the posts I have read here and it almost seems as if NH is fed up with the rest of the nation and has become one of the more withdrawn states (I also see some of the rural states out west in this way (Such as Montana and Wyoming).

I've never been to New Hampshire, so I can't judge it first hand, but I'm extremely curious. Only been to CT, RI, MA, and VT. I was planning to finally go this past October, but a friend convinced me to go to Vermont instead, saying it was "a better state".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
It's funny that you mention New Hampshire, Montana, and Wyoming as states that you don't hear about, because those are three of the states I am considering (along with Idaho). And it is partly for that reason: they are peaceful, beautiful, wonderful places. There is not a whole lot of bad stuff going on in those states that warrants national attention. Just a lot of beauty and tranquility as far as I can tell from visiting those places.

I used to live in Worcester, so I spent a LOT of time hiking in the White Mountains, and it (along with western North Carolina) is the most beautiful place in the east. Just absolutely breathtaking. Sorry to go off on a tangent like that, and I know that didn't completely answer your question. I would say that if NH (and the western states mentioned) are disconnected from the rest of the U.S., let's keep it that way!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
New Hampshire has, for several reasons, fewer of the problems with over crowded declining cities than much of the country although unemployment problem is becoming significant as the tourist industry and consumer purchasing are ravaged by the slowing ecomomy.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:02 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
It depends on what you are looking at in terms of disconnected. I would say NH residents, on average, tend to have a different viewpoint on certain things: debt, government, responsibility, etc. But in terms of being disconnected in the sense of back-woods maple syrup makers...not anymore than any other state (just not mocked here).

I'd also say that folks up here seem to be a little more universally engaged with what is going on in the world and perhaps a little less passive than other areas I have lived.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:51 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Also depends on what you mean by 'disconnected'. No, NH seldom gets mentioned by the news at all. Which really annoys me at times: some states get flooded and are constantly in the news with people raising money and all sorts of things - but NH gets flooded and houses wiped out (occasional bad spring flooding, like a couple of years ago) and there might be a mention on the news, usually in the weather 'and NH is still getting rain'. no help, no nothing.

Disconnected from news (rather than 'by' news)? probably not more than most states. Living in "news central" I hear stuff regularly in our daily paper and on our local news reports about politics and things going on that never make it elsewhere - except in snippets and then its slanted. We knew about Iran Contra a year before it made it big. Old news. A lot of stuff about Bush and various 'three-letter agencies' are known quite differently around here. So... yes, NH is disconnected, doesn't get the full story and what it gets is often slanted... but not more than many other states.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:38 AM

522 posts, read 715,685 times
Never thought of it that way. We haue plenty of news here good and bad. Most people are tuned in to whats going on in the world.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
No place in the USA is disconncted any longer. In the 60s, and even the 70s before the interstate highways were finished Vermont & NH were much more disconnected from current events. Life in central NH and above still reminds me of what it was like 30 years ago....but that is even changing fast.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
I would assume that New Hampshire connected to national news, but why does the national media so often choose to ignore New Hampshire?

Old 11-23-2009, 03:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Quote:
why does the national media so often choose to ignore New Hampshire?
Because it's a small state, way out of the way, where most of the time nothing much ever happens (except during election season). News mostly only gives shocking/bad news and there isn't that much in NH worth bothering other people with. But that's a good thing!

Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
We tend to get recognized nationally for our husband murderers, boyfriend murderers and our robbers that camouflage themselves with tree branches. Which means we generally stay out of the news. Who wants to hear about the local church supper, or the ice fishing derby except for us anyway?
I think the last time apart from elections that we got any really big coverage was when the Old Man left the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire