Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:03 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times

Advertisements

So what is your favorite thing about New England?
Is it the Red Sox, the smell of burning fires in the autumn, pumpkins on the porch, beautiful spring flowers,summers at the lake? Spill it..

For me its the houses, there's something about New England houses that scream America to me.. Those farmer porch homes with swings on the porch and a fenced in yard.. How can life get better than that.. Wood floors .... thats how..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 05:10 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
OH man there is so much that I miss...except the SNOW.

I loved the HUGE pile of leaves in the fall that I would rake up and then jump in.

I loved going to pick apples, strawberries or whatever else was in season.

The architecture and general feeling of histry is breathtaking.

I LOVED spending time in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, the Cape...

OH and the Maine Lobster...all the seafood.
If it were not for that pesky winter thing...

Old 05-21-2007, 06:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
One of the only reasons we are considering moving out of NH is the winter. Something about the cold and ageing bodies creates discomfort (sometines actual misery). Just about any time of place in NH is great except for Franconia Notch in a February Nor'easter with freezing rain, sleet and snow riding on a 50 mph wind. But that is the exception. A crisp fall day or a spring orchard full of flowering trees is just wonderfull.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:37 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
One of the only reasons we are considering moving out of NH is the winter. Something about the cold and ageing bodies creates discomfort (sometines actual misery). Just about any time of place in NH is great except for Franconia Notch in a February Nor'easter with freezing rain, sleet and snow riding on a 50 mph wind. But that is the exception. A crisp fall day or a spring orchard full of flowering trees is just wonderfull.
I dunno, Greg: this aging body (at least: my knees are about 40years ahead) seems to want cold more than hot. I find that heat makes my knees feel worse (and there's only so much I can take off, as opposed to layer on) while icepacks feel wonderful! Matter of fact, I came up to look at our land in early March right after the record lows - it was still in the 6s that evening- while my body wasn't impressed, I just kept thinking about the 'cold treatment' my knees were getting and they felt so much better!

I'm funny, I left NH because after high school I saw it as my big chance to get outside of New England. I'm not into skiing, I don't like any food that comes from the sea (with the exception of tuna if it's mixed with mayo), I was trying to escape the forever winter (mid-atlantic has worse wind and ice instead of snow). but I miss NH so much!

I just want to be be back home where people are (mostly) sane - at least as compared to here, there isn't as much road rage, the taxes aren't as hideous, the land is so much prettier, and the population isn't packed in so densely that you can't look out your window without looking into your neighbors house! I wanna come home.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:16 PM

117 posts, read 485,709 times
FALL, fall fall, Winter Winter, Spring, Summer, Summer. Everything you need. Not too hot not too cold, a little aggravation in spring and offset by the amazing beauty in fall.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 AM

25 posts, read 97,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I dunno, Greg: this aging body (at least: my knees are about 40years ahead) seems to want cold more than hot. I find that heat makes my knees feel worse (and there's only so much I can take off, as opposed to layer on) while icepacks feel wonderful! Matter of fact, I came up to look at our land in early March right after the record lows - it was still in the 6s that evening- while my body wasn't impressed, I just kept thinking about the 'cold treatment' my knees were getting and they felt so much better!

I'm funny, I left NH because after high school I saw it as my big chance to get outside of New England. I'm not into skiing, I don't like any food that comes from the sea (with the exception of tuna if it's mixed with mayo), I was trying to escape the forever winter (mid-atlantic has worse wind and ice instead of snow). but I miss NH so much!

I just want to be be back home where people are (mostly) sane - at least as compared to here, there isn't as much road rage, the taxes aren't as hideous, the land is so much prettier, and the population isn't packed in so densely that you can't look out your window without looking into your neighbors house! I wanna come home.

I live in Florida right now and due to the humidity, the extreme heat and the allergies it makes this state one of the worse fopr aging bodies. Trust me the hot weather is much overated. I am a nurse and have cared for too many sickly elderly who where fine till they got here. I have also had a total hip replacement and my hip feels better in the north.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:14 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
For me the heat of florida made me feel worse. I have a hole in my heart and what they call dysautonomia which shorttened is a failure of my autonomia system and i LIVED in my house all day for 3 years. one step out into that intense year round heat and i was dizzy, sweaty, lightheaded, sticky and nauseas (sp?) . Overrated doesn't even begin to explain it.. Plus no sense of community in Florida..just greed..

Old 05-25-2007, 10:07 AM

164 posts, read 200,067 times
Dunkin Donuts and the Red Sox

Old 05-25-2007, 10:54 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
I don't miss the changing seasons at all, I used to get depressed in the winter...I love the warm weather here...

There is something about Fall in New England though, the leaves turning insanely bright colors, that cold spark in the air...my ex husband and I used to go out and walk the trails around the resevoir in Clinton...the last time we did it was the Fall, the air was so crisp and clear.

I also remember the spring well...I used to be interested in identifying wild flowers...I would tramp through the woods with the field guide in my hand...I SO wish I could do that now but with digital camera in tow...then I could have my own photo album...

I did the same with birds, we would visit bird sanctuaries, the one on Plum island was wonderful with their boardwalk...

I definetly need to get back with my camera and spend some time...but I would have to leave before it snows...or the temps drop to low.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:52 AM

453 posts, read 2,100,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Dunkin Donuts and the Red Sox
lol. there's a dunkin donuts on every corner....in portsmouth there are actually a few that are right across the road from eachother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire