Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 AM

11 posts, read 18,931 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to say that I moved my family up here from Daytona Beach Fl this past Nov, it was the best thing I ever did!!! We love the snow and we never stay indoors because of it! Un like Fl when it cold here people are prepared! I have four kids ages 8,6,4 and 14 months and they love it too! We had no friends or family here when we moved and we tons of friends here now! My family has come to visit and they too loved it so much that they are planning on moving up here very soon! I can not say enough good about New Hampshire. Yes it gets cold but thats the pay off to live a great life!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM

51 posts, read 58,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
A few people I know use Kindercare for their childcare. It's all day daycare/preschool. It's rather expensive, but the services can be worth it. Our neighbor's kids went there, and when they were in half-day K, a "bus" would pick them up and take them to the daycare, where they would spend the rest of the day until the parents could pick them up. K in Bedford is only 2 hours 45 minutes, ending before 11, so if you and your husband work full time you'll need to figure out the logistics of where your kids will go after school. Around here it seems like there is some combo of daycare/nanny/sitter swapping going on.
It's a little off-topic, but what is the overall climate for preschools in Southern NH? My wife and I have been tentatively planning a move sometime in 2012 (after I finish my MBA program), and she is a preschool teacher by trade. Is there an over/under-saturation of good preschools? Is there an opportunity to make a living by opening a good one?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:40 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31 View Post
It's a little off-topic, but what is the overall climate for preschools in Southern NH? My wife and I have been tentatively planning a move sometime in 2012 (after I finish my MBA program), and she is a preschool teacher by trade. Is there an over/under-saturation of good preschools? Is there an opportunity to make a living by opening a good one?
That I couldn't say. There are 6 preschools in Bedford that I know of, including the district preschool program. Some of them are very popular and have waiting lists. Others are less so, but not necessarily because they aren't any good. It's just that families might send their firstborn to one, LOVE it, and want to send their remaining kids there, so it gets a little crowded I sent my older daughter to one last year, a different on this year, but we'll be switching back to the old one next year for her and my 2nd daughter. Both programs are great, the reasons are mostly logistical. The schools that I had looked into have teachers that have been there for years, so I don't know how much of a market there is for more. And I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to go about finding that out

Old 01-13-2010, 12:55 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT in MIA View Post
Maestramommy -someone who moved to Bedford from a big city! A move from LA would be even bigger. You sound like you love it. Did you make the transition well? I am a little worried about the lack of diversity considering I am from Miami, but I grew up in a non-diverse environment and ended up fine so maybe it doesn't matter as much as I think.
I do love it here. But there are a couple of disclaimers. My husband grew up in NJ and I grew up in Chicago, so we aren't strangers to cold snowy weather. In addition, my husband deliberately looked for a job in the NNE area because we wanted to live in a place where the values were more similar to our own. For the most part I think our transition has been smooth because we went into it knowing what to expect. The lack of diversity is a big deal for us because we are Asian, and I've seen very few Asians in Bedford, heck in the surrounding area as well. In our church we are the only family of color besides a family from Africa. It doesn't bother us per se, but I do wonder how we are going to teach our kids about their ethnic heritage. We may have to be creative in our search for contacts and resources. As a practical matter the only problem is that it's very hard to find good Asian food here

As far as having fun in the snow, we are taking baby steps. People talk about going snowshoeing, skiing, sledding, etc. But the truth is, it's hard to do that when you have very young children. My kids are 4, 2, and 6 mo, and so far we have managed to take them tromping and sledding in our front yard We do have a couple of nearby parks with awesome hills, but it's hard to find the time because we always seem to be working on the house. Not that our house is falling apart; in fact, it's in great shape. But I'm sure, you having twins, will appreciate how everything that needs to get done, happens in slow motion with little ones around. We don't have family close by either. The closest live in MA, so great if we had an emergency, but not a regular support system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT in MIA View Post
In Miami, since I work full time and my husband travels, we have someone who comes in from about 430 to 830 Monday through Thursday. She isn't so much of a nanny but a household helper who helps clean, cook, etc. allowing me to spend valuable time with my kids at night. How hard is it to find someone like that in Bedford?
As far as this goes, I would join a moms group or some kind of group as soon as you arrive. Bedford has at least 2 moms groups, and a newcomers and neighbors club. I find that these groups have many overlapping members. Anyway, they are a great resource for issues like your childcare situation. The group I belong to has a Yahoo message board and from time to time I hear that someone no longer needs their nanny, does anyone want to take her hours? One of my neighbors is considering an au pair, which may be more in line with your needs. There are agencies that match families with au pairs, although I haven't had to the need to search them out.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:10 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
Welcome to the forum, GRIT in MIA! Being in NH would be a huge change for your family to adjust to, and it's such an individual thing to see who's going to 'stick' and who finds that it's not the place for them after all. You're asking good questions

Since a possible move to NH is a choice that you are considering, you want to take in as much info from residents as possible. Some folks aren't so lucky, and end up here as a result of a relocation (move or lose the job...) and when you come under those circumstances, there will be an attitude of "I never wanted to be there", along with the comparisons of where you came from. I lived that myself, being moved from New England to the St. Louis area. Nothing was good enough, and I just couldn't see all the great things about the area, until it was time to leave and come back home to New England. Outlook is everything!

Everybody has made helpful posts, and I just want to add that when you're looking for a possible place to live, you'll notice that for the most part, there are very few sidewalks unless you're in a city like Manchester, Nashua, etc. Small towns generally won't have sidewalks, and unless you're in a neighborhood, many homes are located on country roads that are a never-ending combination of hills and curves. Sounds romantic, like an old song (Country roads.... take me home... to the place.... I belong.....) but in reality, they're not little-kid friendly for learning how to bike ride on, etc. Traffic can be fast-moving, and with only the breakdown lane to walk/ride in, I would hesitate myself to walk down some of the more well-traveled roads (distracted drivers and rolling curvy roads don't mix...)

One thing's almost for certain--coming in February, you'll get to experience plenty of snow! There's been snow on the ground since before Christmas, and while we usually have a January Thaw (coming this Friday, 40 DEGREES!!) we could get dumped with many inches of snow at any time... I'll try to dig up some old posts of the regulars taking about "all things New Hampshire" the good and the bad... never let it be said that we try and sugar-coat life here in the great white north

Old 01-17-2010, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 12,315 times
Oh my! Thanks so much to all of you. I am so happy to hear that other people have done it and fallen in love with the area - especially another Floridian! The sidewalk information is great. It drives us crazy that we don't have sidewalks where we live now! I also loved hearing from people as diverse as we are. On one hand I am scared to death to leave everything I know, my family and friends, but on the other, what an amazing adventure! And my kids can play in the snow!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM

132 posts, read 466,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
If you want an idea of what winter snow is like, read this Diary of a Snow Shoveler ok, it's only partly true <G>. now stretch that over a couple of months!
LMAO......I haven't seen that joke in a few years! Loved it, Thanks

Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,433 times
Even the largest city, Manchester, doesn't even come close to Miami. You are wise to visit first -- this would be a major life change for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire