Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 PM

72 posts, read 195,754 times

Advertisements

Just was curious what a NH taxpayer will be paying if they work over the border in Maine? I know Mass is about 5.5 percent. Appreciate the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
the tax rate varies according to income -here are the numbers for married, filing joint

if you earn less than $10,150, the tax is 2%.

between $10,150 and $20,150 - the tax is $203 plus 4.5% of excess over $10,150.

from $20,150- $40,350 - tax is $653 plus 7% of excess over $20,150

from $40,350 - tax is $2,067 plus 8.5% of excess over $40,350

be aware that your total income is looked at according to what is filed on your federal income taxes. Even if your spouse does not work in Maine, their income is included for tax purposes.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Wait... they even tax the spouses income if the spouse doesn't work in ME? Or they just use their income for tax rate calculation on the ME workers income?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Wait... they even tax the spouses income if the spouse doesn't work in ME? Or they just use their income for tax rate calculation on the ME workers income?
They don't actually tax the spouse's non Maine income, but you will be taxed at the rate of the combined income of both of you. Example - you make $50K in Maine, spouse makes $50K in NH, Maine taxes you only, but using the income level of $100K for tax rate calculation. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

They are bloodsucking leaches. That's why I bought land in NH...

Old 01-20-2010, 04:16 AM

30 posts, read 90,628 times
Living in NH and working in ME is the worst thing in term of taxation. You get hit with NH's high property tax (unless you renting and not owning a house) and have to pay ME's high income tax.

If you and your spouse live in NH, but only you work in ME, and your spouse works in NH. Only you have to pay ME income tax. ME can not tax your spouse income from outside of ME since you're not ME residents.

If you and your spouse live in ME, that'd be different. ME will tax you and spouse @ the rate of the combined income even only one source of income is from ME.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:32 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
Maine taxes all your income.

it doesn't matter if it's not earned in ME - if one of you worked in ME, you will be hit with the income tax on your total combined income. It's not fair. It's taxation without representation.

MA does it as well, but to a lesser extent. Your income is taken as a percentage and your deductions are reduced by the percentage. It's not as easy as just filing on your income alone.

talk to a tax expert - he will advise you how it works.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:29 PM

30 posts, read 90,628 times
I'm not a tax expert and not even a ME resident and never work in ME, just came across this before. ME would happily takes more tax $$$ from you if you use joint return on your income. But I think you don't have to do that if you're are both non residents and only single income source is from ME. Please please, talk to your tax advisor and do not give more of your hard earn $$$. :-).

You can still file as a single individual on ME income even if you both file jointly on federal. Look into the NRH form if this is your case. http://www.maine.gov/revenue/forms/1...eNRH_Guide.pdf and again, talk to your tax expert

Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 AM

72 posts, read 195,754 times
Appreciate the responses. The reason I ask is that I am looking to move to the Seacoast area which is really between Mass, and Maine. It seems to me that it is absolutely not worth it to work in Maine if I'm living in NH, especially as a relatively high wage earner. At that point I might as well stay in Ny. It certainly helped me make a decision to look for a job in NH only.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNPA View Post
Appreciate the responses. The reason I ask is that I am looking to move to the Seacoast area which is really between Mass, and Maine. It seems to me that it is absolutely not worth it to work in Maine if I'm living in NH, especially as a relatively high wage earner. At that point I might as well stay in Ny. It certainly helped me make a decision to look for a job in NH only.
You've got to do the math if you're considering a job in Maine. If it pays significantly more than something you can get in NH, it might be worth it. You've just got to know how much more salary it takes to offset the income taxes you'll pay. I wouldn't discount a job at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (actually in ME) when I retire - it would just have to pay significantly more to make up for the ridiculous ME taxes...

Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 AM

13 posts, read 51,577 times
Default Single Non-Resident working in Maine

I searched high and low and was unable to find an answer to this question...

I'm a single resident (ie, not married, not divorced, not widowed) of NH contemplating working in Maine.

I know how they calculate income and tax for married couples; one works in ME, one who works in NH.

But cannot find what my personal income tax withholding rate would be based on my status.

I found one document that listed 2010 tax rates but it specifically said:

Do NOT use these tax rate schedules to determine income tax withholding from wages.
For Single Individuals and Married Persons Filing Separate Returns
If the taxable income is: The tax is:
Less than $4,950 2.0% of the taxable income
$ 4,950 but less than $9,850 $ 99 plus 4.5% of excess over $ 4,950
$ 9,850 but less than $19,750 $ 320 plus 7.0% of excess over $ 9,850
$19,750 or more $1,013 plus 8.5% of excess over $19,750

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire