Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 PM

16 posts, read 10,577 times

Advertisements

I have 99 camry that did not pass the state inspection a week ago, and the price to repair is over the actual value of the car. I am looking forward to sell it and get a better used car.
I've tried craigslist, but no result...
This is the first time that I'm trying to sell a car...
Any suggestions for where to sell it? (I'm near Stratham)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:20 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkuso View Post
I have 99 camry that did not pass the state inspection a week ago, and the price to repair is over the actual value of the car. I am looking forward to sell it and get a better used car.
I've tried craigslist, but no result...
This is the first time that I'm trying to sell a car...
Any suggestions for where to sell it? (I'm near Stratham)
So... the needed repair for it to pass state inspection is more than the value of the car... why on earth would someone want to buy it from you?

Using simple math, doesn't that make your Camry worth a negative amount of money? As in you should be paying someone to take it away? Maybe you can sell it to a junkyard for parts.

What was your selling price for it on craigslist? And what repair does it need?

Old 08-13-2014, 04:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
The question is not the repairs cost more than the car is worth but are they more than the replacement cost of the car. If you buy another used car you are paying for a lot of unknowns and, if from a used car dealer, a huge markup from the auction price he paid for it. If you have yours repaired you are effectively purchasing a used car for the repair price.

If your car will not pass inspection it is worth no more than the scrap price.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So... the needed repair for it to pass state inspection is more than the value of the car... why on earth would someone want to buy it from you?

Using simple math, doesn't that make your Camry worth a negative amount of money? As in you should be paying someone to take it away? Maybe you can sell it to a junkyard for parts.

What was your selling price for it on craigslist? And what repair does it need?
That's what I was thinking about. To sell it to a junkyard, but I'm not sure where I should go.
It was $1,500 on craigslist. That was the price I paid for it, and also spent approximately $1,000 to repaired some parts...and it still needs repair...I also got this car last October

It needs replacement for Inner Tie Rod End on both sides, replacement for rear Wheel Bearing on both sides, too...and the bottom of the bumper is slightly rusted...

Old 08-13-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The question is not the repairs cost more than the car is worth but are they more than the replacement cost of the car. If you buy another used car you are paying for a lot of unknowns and, if from a used car dealer, a huge markup from the auction price he paid for it. If you have yours repaired you are effectively purchasing a used car for the repair price.

If your car will not pass inspection it is worth no more than the scrap price.
So...I should just buy a new car instead?

Old 08-13-2014, 02:15 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,491 times
If you are the one who listed the brown 1999 Camry in Stratham, I'd say your biggest issue is that you don't have a description or pictures. My husband can turn a wrench and has bought several vehicles that wouldn't pass inspection but filters his Craigslist searches for vehicles with pictures. Generally you would do best to take pictures from each side of the vehicle and the interior. Note the work needed as well as the work you have done in the description and take pictures of any blemishes. If this is your ad, you're putting all of the work on the buyer...they have to email you with questions and ask for pics or drive to view the car without a decent prior description. There are too many other vehicles for sale for anyone to be willing to do that.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:29 PM

386 posts, read 399,256 times
A junkyard will probably only give you a few hundred dollars so I wouldn't see that as a very good option. Unless there are other repairs required, a couple of tie rod ends, an alignment and rear wheel bearings are not that difficult to do or all that expensive to repair. If you are not able to do the repair yourself, at a minimum I'd get a couple of quotes because what you've described isn't all that bad. Also, as pointed out if you sell it for the $1500 and end up purchasing another inexpensive car you may end up in a similar situation. Good luck.

Lou

Old 08-13-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
If you are the one who listed the brown 1999 Camry in Stratham, I'd say your biggest issue is that you don't have a description or pictures. My husband can turn a wrench and has bought several vehicles that wouldn't pass inspection but filters his Craigslist searches for vehicles with pictures. Generally you would do best to take pictures from each side of the vehicle and the interior. Note the work needed as well as the work you have done in the description and take pictures of any blemishes. If this is your ad, you're putting all of the work on the buyer...they have to email you with questions and ask for pics or drive to view the car without a decent prior description. There are too many other vehicles for sale for anyone to be willing to do that.
Yes, that's my ad. I had the description and pictures until two days ago. I had them on for a week ago, but only one person messaged me. So I thought I should ask around first, then put them back on.
I will put them back on soon. Thank you!

Old 08-13-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
A junkyard will probably only give you a few hundred dollars so I wouldn't see that as a very good option. Unless there are other repairs required, a couple of tie rod ends, an alignment and rear wheel bearings are not that difficult to do or all that expensive to repair. If you are not able to do the repair yourself, at a minimum I'd get a couple of quotes because what you've described isn't all that bad. Also, as pointed out if you sell it for the $1500 and end up purchasing another inexpensive car you may end up in a similar situation. Good luck.

Lou
I did get few quotes and all of them were around $1,900. I think I will buy a new car...or...

Thank you though!

Old 08-14-2014, 06:15 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkuso View Post
I did get few quotes and all of them were around $1,900. I think I will buy a new car...or...

Thank you though!
How many miles are on the car?

Rust on a 1999 Camry bumper? How? It's all a plastic. I also drive a 1999 Camry (one of the japanese assembled ones with a driver side air bag) with 77,xxx miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire