Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Read before relocating to New Hampshire, New England people not friendly, unable to drive in traffic, obsessed with antiques, old stuff, history, high tax rates

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,944 times

Advertisements

Name me another region where I can be minutes from the ocean, less than two hours from majestic mountains, an hour from the lakes, an hour from the big city, minutes from the uniqueness of a place like Portsmouth and its unique dining opportunities, and whose definition of gridlock is being stuck going ten below the speed limit on 108 through Newmarket at 7:30 am or being naive enough to drive the Spaulding on a Friday afternoon in July to North Conway.
Tolerating the slowness and dreary, sometimes Arctic-temps between now and April is a perfectly fine trade-off to me as opposed to the grid-lock and morbid, unhappiness of people in transient regions like Washington DC and central Florida, or the shortage of outdoor recreational opportunities in the Indianapolis region, or being price-gouged at every turn to try and afford anything Manhattan has to offer while not affording to live any where in the immediate vicinty and settling for unimaginative suburbia. I've experienced all of it. If you live around Salem or Nashua however, I could understand some of the disdain, for that is Massachusetts in a nut shell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 06:46 AM

4 posts, read 13,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablecowboy View Post
I'm here, and I want out! I'm over the people, pace of life, politics, and winters. Welcome to Massachusetts II!

Okay, the people are so downright cold, and unfriendly. The never smile or look you in the eyes. Some would call this "genuine," but I would call this weather or culturally-inflicted.

People in New England can NOT drive in traffic.. People here think that passing one car in heavy traffic will get them to their destination QUICKER. (TAKE FOR EXAMPLE -101 or Route 16 through Dover, ever tried that on rush hour?) That's all life's about here; Get there and do things QUICK.

The roads are narrow, winding and hard to drive on yet sometimes fun. They are NOT relaxing, and tailgaters are everywhere. You could be in the most rural area in Rochester or Laconia and still have someone 3 feet from your tail.

You want food? Try Dunkin Doughnuts. "NH RUNS ON DUNKIN!" No need to drive far for it... It's in every other town here, and it has a drive-through to get your breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's the monopoly here and will make you unhealthy and fat!

I'm here, and I want out! New Hampshire is such an un-motivating environment. The nicest towns are not much different than the worst towns. (You'll find bigger houses, and more detailed landscaping.. that's mostly it.) Rye or Ossipee.. it's all pretty much the same thing. Not many towns are unique.. it's all New England-style. No tudor, no french, no contemporary or your neighbors will have a fit.

People are OBESSESED with old stuff. Antique stores, and history.. I'm not at all. Not many people are fascinated by modern design--although we're apparently a liberal region (New England/Taxachusetts) -everyone likes the same furniture, the same black shutters, and the same clothes.

Despite that, this place is still relaxing with all the nature here(not the drivers)-the white mountains are great! but this states definitly not perfect nor the best. The wages are good, but don't be fooled. This state is no where near worth the money that it costs to live here. I'm here, and I want out!
Wow. i lived there for 8 years and moved to florida. now I want out of florida! Been here six years and want back in NH.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 13,423 times
Sound like you are describing florida!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:51 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
No state is perfect for all and most don't claim to be.I have lived in NY most of my life and while I was in the military (Air Force) I lived in Missouri,Florida,California,and overseas.Now being from NY you would think I would like CA but hated it! It was a bad imitation of NY with many fake people. The thing that might strike you funny is that I love the new engalnd states and thats why i'm planning to move to NH probably within a year, and me and my wife are only 36,not retiring. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and whats good for some might not be right for you so chalk it up to a learning experience. Every day we should learn something new, and maybe NH just isn't right for you. If thats the case let your knowledge of this take you where you will be happy. Its a long life for most so don't be afraid to move to better surroundings for yourself. It's better to be happy then wallowing in self pity and misery.
Good Luck

Old 11-27-2007, 12:12 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
No state is perfect for all and most don't claim to be.I have lived in NY most of my life and while I was in the military (Air Force) I lived in Missouri,Florida,California,and overseas.Now being from NY you would think I would like CA but hated it! It was a bad imitation of NY with many fake people. The thing that might strike you funny is that I love the new engalnd states and thats why i'm planning to move to NH probably within a year, and me and my wife are only 36,not retiring. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and whats good for some might not be right for you so chalk it up to a learning experience. Every day we should learn something new, and maybe NH just isn't right for you. If thats the case let your knowledge of this take you where you will be happy. Its a long life for most so don't be afraid to move to better surroundings for yourself. It's better to be happy then wallowing in self pity and misery.
Good Luck
I lived in southern CA 12 years ago and it was terrible then and is worse now
from what I've seen. I have been in NH for 4 years now and met some real
natives who are great people. One of them told me to tell people who are
thinking about moving here the following " The winters in NH are awful cold and icy just like the people. The government stinks, the taxes are high and
life is very very hard." After he said that he smiled and said that's how we
keep this state so nice for ourselves, by keeping them out of it.
Sounded like good advice to me so that's what I tell people today............

Old 11-27-2007, 02:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,398 times
Smile fashionablecowboy, hope you found Shangri-La

Quote:
fashionablecowboy's Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
The OP's last post on CD was 6/9/07...I was wondering if he found Shangri-La? I think Mission Viejo is beautiful...there are other wonderful cities in OC too, I just wouldn't want to call it home. To each their own.

IMO Cali is worse...well different than it was even just 12 years ago. Someone once described me as, "what you see, is what you get". I didn't understand that at first, but as I grew wiser, I then realized some Cali folk have a shiny veneer, but as the layers are peeled back people aren't quite as they originally appeared to be. I think I'd prefer cold & icy any day! Also, I too don't want Cali to fall off into the sea. I'd like to be able to visit family & not have to go to Nevada...oh, & save Disneyland too (my fairytale utopia).

I've enjoyed this thread, mostly 'cuz the OP states some negatives of NH from his perspective & instead of getting a bandwagon of bashers, all these New Engladers post about how good the coffee is & the best place to get it...or the best places to find good Antique shops. There were only a few neg. posts. It's nice to see so many people happy to call NH home, and even some that prefer to live elsewhere still defend The Granite State!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:46 AM

450 posts, read 557,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I absolutly looooveee NH and NE.. I lived in FLA for 23 years.. thats borning, dull and just plain horrible.. NE has a history to it.. I hear people in the town I live in because 2 blocks are under construction on Main Street. It was just started a month or so ago and will be done by fall. There were streets were I lived in FLa that were underconstruction for 8 years.. The SAME street constant nostop construction, one day its one lane, then next lanes shift the next you don't even see anyone working on it.. That's misery. Sure its cold up here, but its also beautiful some days, you have a change of season. I'll take taht any day over the eternal sunshine I just had for 23 years. That gets old too, people don't think it does but imagine having a constant winter for 23 years.. Thats how I was only summer. Hot sticky muggy bug infested year round summer.

Be happy about what NE has to offer, you have mountains, lakes, beaches, museums, citys, towns skiing, festivals and so much more. The people are friendly as long as you are friendly to them .Remember you moved in on their town. You don't own the place so don't come in and try to tell them well this is how we did it in CA so you should do it like that here. Thats not what they're about here. Things are slow and chilled. Things will get taken care of , they always are , just no used in flying down the road like a bat out of hell to do it. So chill out, relax, sit back, look at the views NH has to offer take it in and enjoy it.. You'll live much longer with a more relaxed laid back happy lifestyle.. And if you can't do it and the only excuse you can say is its too cold, well then that was your fault for moving here knowing full well that well NH is UP NORTH and it snows anywhere north of south florida..

you do know that florida has a deep history too, more so than anywhere else in america really.

from the tribes of indians to the pirates to the wars, to henry flagler to the civil war, st augustine
my oldest is doing a paper in school about the history of orlando and florida and it's fascinating

cowboy
understand partly about where you are coming from but there are rude people everywhere it's just more in a place than other places,
never understood the tail gating myself or the beeping of the horn when stuck in traffic, a beep isn't going to get you futher is it.

stuntman I just hope your last line doesn't turn put like that

Old 08-23-2016, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 972 times
Looking to make a move from Ohio to NH. Like small town with city nearby. Don't need much to live anymore, just peace and quiet and internet. What is weather like, month to month? Licensing fees? Where is housing most affordable, maybe a piece of land? Jobs? I work in healthcare.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:38 PM

613 posts, read 944,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
Name me another region where I can be minutes from the ocean, less than two hours from majestic mountains, an hour from the lakes, an hour from the big city, minutes from the uniqueness of a place like Portsmouth and its unique dining opportunities, and whose definition of gridlock is being stuck going ten below the speed limit on 108 through Newmarket at 7:30 am or being naive enough to drive the Spaulding on a Friday afternoon in July to North Conway.
Tolerating the slowness and dreary, sometimes Arctic-temps between now and April is a perfectly fine trade-off to me as opposed to the grid-lock and morbid, unhappiness of people in transient regions like Washington DC and central Florida, or the shortage of outdoor recreational opportunities in the Indianapolis region.
So you know both Indianapolis, & central Florida, & how vapid, & devoid of almost anything interesting they both are? I could also say the same thing of a lot of other parts of Florida.

Sounds like you know the NH "seacoast region" also. I live less than a mile from the ocean here. And it's "just" 60 miles to Boston, or Boston 'burbs. But when you say: "Tolerating the slowness and dreary, sometimes Arctic-temps between now and April is a perfectly fine trade-off"

It seems like that now, but last Jan.-Feb. I was seriously questioning it....

Old 08-23-2016, 01:48 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Sounds like you know the NH "seacoast region" also. I live less than a mile from the ocean here. And it's "just" 60 miles to Boston, or Boston 'burbs. But when you say: "Tolerating the slowness and dreary, sometimes Arctic-temps between now and April is a perfectly fine trade-off"

It seems like that now, but last Jan.-Feb. I was seriously questioning it....
Not so much this past winter for me (it was pretty tame, actually) but the previous winter, you know-- the one that had nonstop snowfall along with prolonged cold spells, ice dams on many homes, roof collapses (mainly flat, commercial building roofs) and added the term Polar Vortex to our vocabularies.. THAT winter had me seriously considering a move south but I still prefer cold to blistering heat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire