Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times

Advertisements

I know the mt and the area exactly where you mean and with a few small details i could just about park in your door yard.

I really suggest you travel, and don't aim at a career move to 'settle'.

If I were to change any wording in steve's post, I would say New England is different THAN evey place else and every place else is morer similar to the rest over all.

No where else on my 40 state tour reminded me of any places like Farmington, Jackson, N Conway, and etc.

many times the USa seemed to be faceless, and one state tended to blend in with the next, unless you were in a place Like Yellow Stone.

Of course the deserts looked similar to a tourist, which I was.

My son now 29 grew up in Bartlett, and thought it was hickland, and went off to Az for college, Well no sooner was he done with that and he came right back and was all about 'Oh Daaaad, NH is the place for me!"

Oh sure he was amuseed cooking eggs on the side walk in Az, and he was thrilled with the cactus, and seeing western places, but in 4 years it grew old, even the fast lane grew old, because it has no meaning other than fast food and fast entertainments soon forgotten.

Is it worth seeing? Hell yeah, but to base a life that way if you are close to the woods is pointless.

I have no idea who you are, but I know where your heart lives, and I can take that to the bank and know one day you will return, or die trying.

I repeat! Do not drag heavy useless junk all over the country. Go and go light, see it feel it and hear it, avoid smelling it in some places

As I see things, guessing about your ages, for all your life you wanted fast, the image that matches fast, and now fast means to go out into the world and find jobs and then settle down fast.... For what? A race to grow into adulthood and settle to be old fast?

Not my idea at all. I am 58 years old and I refuse to grow up. I tell people I have Peter Pan syndrome LOL. I ride a heavy cruiser mc, and have long hair and a pony tail. In winter I have a beard too, but that is a winter thing, since I spend a lot of time outdoors.

The problem your BF has is he thinks there is something out there calling him and in a way there is. It just isn't what he thinks.

I have no idea what you each do to earn, but if i were you I would invest in the smallest vehical you can live in, grab any tools you need to earn and go..... Leave all the big junk home, as you won't need it on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 AM

371 posts, read 1,823,277 times
Quote:
even the fast lane grew old, because it has no meaning other than fast food and fast entertainments soon forgotten.
That is a great line, and summarizes the way I feel about much of California perfectly. I've lived in four different parts of the country that each had their own distinctly different character (northern CA, southern CA, upstate NY, and southwest FL), and have seen 38 states up close. As much as I would love to see more of this amazing country, I think I have a pretty good survey of what's out there. And I can't wait to move to NH or ME....

Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 AM

LOL , Yeah pretty hard to savor much in that fast lane.. Fast and quailty are words I can't hardly put in the same sentace.

sorry about the typos above. I was typin too fast

Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 AM

371 posts, read 1,823,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
LOL , Yeah pretty hard to savor much in that fast lane.. Fast and quailty are words I can't hardly put in the same sentace.

sorry about the typos above. I was typin too fast

Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 PM

17 posts, read 99,825 times
Quote:

The problem your BF has is he thinks there is something out there calling him and in a way there is. It just isn't what he thinks.
I agree. I think the reason is because he lives in the "ghetto" part of Farmington; right downtown in the middle of about 6 welfare families that are always coming and going. Hes not one of them he actually has one of the biggest houses in downtown Farmington and the only one with a nice big yard. He doesn't like Farmington, and I can see his reasons. I love this place, and I would love to have my kids attend the same school I did. He doesn't really agree, and he wants to send his kids to a nice private school in a rich community. I just don't want my kids to be snobs, and not appreciate things in life. Also, where ever I end up, if not in NH; when I travel back here for holidays with my children I don't want them to be disappointed that we're going to NH. I want them to be excited, which I'm guessing they probably wouldn't be if they didn't grow up here.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:18 PM

17 posts, read 99,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonceltz View Post
Honestly, it's a big change but not as drastically different as I thought. (They both still have plenty of Wal-Marts! Ha!)
Making sure the state had WalMarts was one of the first things I did, haha!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:13 PM

531 posts, read 1,983,152 times
Quote:

I have no idea who you are, but I know where your heart lives, and I can take that to the bank and know one day you will return, or die trying.
Maybe I'm just getting soft in my middle age, but this is the first piece of prose I've ever read on this forum which brought me to tears!

Thank you (I guess)!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
Maybe I'm just getting soft in my middle age, but this is the first piece of prose I've ever read on this forum which brought me to tears!

Thank you (I guess)!
I am a cheap biker tramp, with long hair, and when I'm not; I am living in the 18th century, still with long hair. I assure I don't even know what the word 'prose' means.

You might find that funny, but I am not now, nor was I ever funny, and you better not be lafffin!

So sorry to have made you cry.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASLeathe View Post
Making sure the state had WalMarts was one of the first things I did, haha!
LOL Pretty much the USA is wal' to walmarts. NH is rarer, in that not every single town has 2 or more of them. One day the USA will have so many walmarts you can walk into one on the east coast and exit at the beach in Cali.

Probably houses will be built on wal-marts roofs, and all you will need to do to shop is walk down stairs.

To my way of thinking that's a very bad idea, but then I am older, and like variety, and stuff like real wool, which so far as i can tell walmart never carries any of ever, no matter where it is, or how cold it gets.

So that seems like a poor idea at best to me, but I am working on dying so i will be out of the way. I can't exactly say when this death will occur, but I ain't gittin' any younger. So far Peter Pan syndrome has only had some effect on my mind. It might have some effect on my hair, since I am not balding very fast for my age, but everything else seems about 1/2 broken, which is just about right for 58 years.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:25 PM

193 posts, read 534,228 times
You're doing the right thing, exploring the world. I've done my share of traveling so I wasn't entirely in the same boat, but after my wife and I were married in 2000 we moved south because I really needed to escape the cold. Really, I needed to escape the long winters. We lived in Georgia, and that's pretty similar to South Carolina.

Here are some things you can expect:

The winters are so much shorter and, of course, less severe! The summers are hot, but not so much hotter than what we experience in NH -- it's just two months of it rather than two weeks. People are outwardly friendly! We couldn't believe how many people our realtor knew: as we drove around, she was waving to everyone we passed it seemed, and they were waving back. It turns out, that's just the way people are down there, waving to people as you pass them.

Some other things that were foreign to us:

* Kudzu, which is this predator vine that has taken over most of the south, enveloping trees except for a few months in the winter when it goes dormant. You like it less and less the longer you live there.

* Fire ants. These little critters look just like our little red ants, but they're actually in the wasp family. Their mounds spring up all over the place but you can put pesticide down to kill them easily enough. Unfortunately, they take the fun out of going barefoot, or even in sandals.

* Bible thumpers. Granted, it's the Bible belt, but it is unsettling to find that people's initial greeting on meeting you is "What church do you go to?"

We kept an eye out for Brown Recluse spiders, and did find a small Black Widow spider under one of our mulching bins, but these were very minor concerns.

Overall, we loved it down there and made some good friends.

Even so, we are very, very happy to be back in New Hampshire. I could give you a list of reasons, but it's something best experienced for yourself. I even like the winters now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire