Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,968 times

Advertisements

This is very strange. I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago and decided to look it up. First thing I found was this thread and I signed up just to comment on it.

First off, I live in East TN. My mom has family in and around Groveton.

We where up there I believe in the late 80's (88-89) and I met the first that shot that Moose. I met the person that shot it with the birdshot. I do not remember his name, but I remember what he told me. He was not a family member but was a friend of family in Groveton.

Keep in mind, I was I believe in 8th grade at the time so my memory may not be 100 percent.
I remember told told the story that he was out bird hunting and the moose came out and charged him.

He used his shot gun and hit it in the face with birdshot, which blinded it and it wondered into town.

I remember the guy has a Tatoo on his shoulder which is pretty much the picture out of the newspaper.

If I remember correctly, the shooter was under age at the time, old enough to hunter but under 18, which is why he didn't get in allot of trouble. Also probably why you will have a hard time finding his name.
I am not going to post it, but to be curious, I am going to ask my mom to check with her family that knew the guy. I bet I can find out who it was.

********EDIT****
I just remembered, I was in NH, twice in a couple years. Pretty sure it was the last 80's when I met the shooter, however I could be wrong. I was up there twice for funerals, and I don't recall which time I met him. But I do know I met him.

Last edited by vontar; 02-24-2010 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:06 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times
Vontar,

I was only in 3rd grade so my memory of the incident is foggy at best and certainly colored by a decade of tales about it afterward. I do seem to recall the original shooter was not someone from Groveton, which is probably why I have no recollection of his name... being a small town, you knew everyone, at least peripherally.

Another scan an old friend sent me.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs127.snc3/17470_1376573692991_1191307939_31170872_2388820_n. jpg (broken link)

My sister thinks my mom gave her all the original newspaper clippings and she's going to see what she can turn up. I'll post a better scan if I ever can.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,968 times
My memory of the town would not be as colored as I was only there for about 10 days total between 2 visits.
Like I said, my uncle introduced me to him, they showed me the newspaper clipping and I did meet the guy that shot it. I remember clearly the tattoo on his arm, of the moose standing on the car.

I can even remember, we where in my uncles Kitchen when they introduced me to him.

like I said, I met him a few years after it happened.

Last edited by vontar; 02-25-2010 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-26-2010, 03:54 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times
Very interesting, would make a cool tattoo I suppose what with that personal connection to it.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,333 times
I was there also the incident happened in the fall of 1979. I was a senior that year at
GHS. Life Magazine has article. The person went hunting that day instead of going to school. He was dating a senior at school at the time. He was under 18 years old.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,120 times
The incident to which you refer happened before 1983. I was a student at Groveton High School at the time. A student had skipped class and gone hunting for partridge that morning and fired at the moose while in the woods. He came back to school and the moose followed him. It spent the better part of the day walking in circles on the ball field across from the school. I believe it was the game warden who shot the poor creature around 3 pm. Ironically, this happened when traffic was heaviest, due to the shift change at the local paper fill and just as classes were being dismissed for the day. A student named Stephen Cummings too a great photo of the moose facing forward while standing on the hood of the car. The two women in the car can be seen looking up at the rear end of the creature from inside the car. Truly an over sized hood ornament.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,693 times
Default Grovton moose picture

I remember the photo very clearly. I did not see it in a newspaper it was on TV. United Press International picked up the story and it was broadcast all over the country.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 AM

611 posts, read 1,204,920 times
Wow! That's quite a story. We only have elk and deer in my parts (Washington state). The elk are generally pretty easy to spot and the mature deer tend to be pretty sharp. I've actually seen them look both ways before crossing the street!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,693 times
To add to my posting from 2/23/12. After the moose was taken down, fish and game called Bert Emerson owner of Emerson Hardware. Bert drove his fork truck to the sight to remove the moose. He did say he got a steak or two. Bert is no longer with us and the store is closed but I will always remember him telling us the story.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,031 times
Below is a link to the image. I'm from Groveton and I was across the street at the swimming pool when that happened. I remember it very well!

[url]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8017/7536276376_79e2913513_z.jpg[/url] [/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire