Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 AM

8 posts, read 10,470 times

Advertisements

That's where I think I want to be
There is only one thing I will miss about NC and that is my beloved Duke . I am from NE, Ma. but looking forward to NH.
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 12:37 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
I'm from next door to Nashua - Hollis. That any help?

Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Kind of here...I walk to the border of my town and Nashua everday with my dog...

Moved from VA (not too unlike NC)...don't regret it.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks guys for the response
Do you like living in the area? I have been reading on different forums, wow, there are/were so many differing views. Alot were saying night life, lol, doesn't pertain to me, I need to be in bed at 11 pm :x
I know we will rnt when we first get there so hows the rental situation? Any help will be most appreciated. ps, I have not seen a forum such as this before so I do hope I'm doing it right

Old 02-05-2010, 02:09 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
I have not seen a forum such as this before so I do hope I'm doing it right
Wanna, you're doing just fine.

I'm not living there currently, but I drive through it whenever I'm in the area. Nightlife is what you make it, and remember there are zoning laws - so if you move to a residential area, you're probably not going to be kept awake all night by rowdies at the pub.

there are some nice areas to live in Nashua. Most people on the forum don't like it because it is urban and that means a higher density of housing. Most folks in NH like a lot of elbow space.

I guess the real question is: do you have to live IN Nashua, or would one of the towns around it be ok? For example Hollis which is right next door, and will not keep you up all night (what sidewalks there are get rolled up early). If you are renting, do you have pets? That can limit your options - though not knock them out entirely. BF, I believe had a great experience where he rented in Nashua and I believe he has said he has a dog.

It is a good area in general, easy access to all the shopping, more jobs in Nashua than in the surrounding towns, and the highway will take you either down to the Boston beltway or up to the airport and north.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Thanks Wanna
I know it's all going to be just fine, it's more of the what if's that are giving me cool feet. Either way, we leave here May 1st...YEA!!

Old 02-05-2010, 03:59 PM

571 posts, read 1,317,731 times
I have lived in Nashua now for 10 years. I have found that it is not really what most outsiders would call "a city" but overall it is really like a suburb with mostly individual private homes. I don't think there are any buildings 4-stories high or taller in all of Nashua. There are quite a few very nice condominium complexes hidden here and there. A few nice trailer parks too. Mostly single homes.
Shopping tends to be businesses grouped along a few major streets and there are a lot of stores, shops and restaurants - especially when compared to the neighboring towns.
Rte.3, the Everett Turnpike goes North and South through the City providing easy acess to Boston and northwards to Manchester (and the airport) and Concord, etc. The road system is well maintained, well plowed in the winter. The State and local police are helpful and not out to hassle people, the city parks are very nice and the two high schools are both very modern.
There are a lot of clubs, teams and activities. A YMCA, a boys and girls club, a symphony/orchestra, library programs for kids and adults and in general I think it is a nice place.
Of course, there are some bad neighborhoods but physically they are small and there are no roving gangs or troublemakers.
Drugs are everywhere in society but drug violence is almost unknown in Nashua or in NH for that matter. The drug violence is caused by dealer Vs. dealer conflicts and the dealers are from out of state. They have their fights in Mass. Drug arrests are in the papers once in a while but drug related violence is rare.
I have found Nashua to be quite peaceful with enough resources to keep us busy on weekends.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:49 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
We rented in Merrimack actually, but literally right on the border (as in maybe a couple hundred feet away). Great experience for the year we were there while shopping for the right house. I highly suggest the place.

Love living in the area, plenty of quiet/open places to live and not far from a big city (Boston) if you want to go there for a bit. We've been exploring Manchester and Lowell lately- both far under-rated in my opinion. Portsmouth also isn't that far and is fantastic.

In generally I love how Nashua centrally located between low density/natural areas and more urban areas- so you can pick either based on what you feel like exploring that day.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks so much guys for the input and your experience of and around the area. I appreciate any help and is more than welcome
~~Karen

Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Why do you want to leave NC? If I could get my wife to leave, my boys and I would move to NC in a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire