Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:25 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times

Advertisements

I have not heard anything about the Wilton schools, but you might want to check out Mont Vernon which shares schools with Amherst from 6 - 12th grade. Very good school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,402 times
Default Wilton is a great place to live & raise a family!

I have lived in Wilton for about four years after living in a city for about 10 years. Wilton has only about 3k residents. It has good schools and a nice private school if that is something you are interested in. High Mowing is the name of the private school. Wilton is also home to a really cool Town Hall theater. The theater is about 150 years old and is located in the same building as the town hall, they show current movies really cheap too! During the holidays the theater plays "It's a Wonderful Life" for free to the public and they only ask people to bring a canned good for the NH food bank. Across the street from the theater is a really cute candy store called Nelson's Candies. They have been in business over 50 years and it's really a charming little place. That is all in the little downtown, but there is also the original town center which is on the West side of Wilton. The old center has a playhouse called Andy's Playhouse. It is for children and teens and is a very creative summer theater. The views from that area of town of the mountains is gorgeous. Crime is not an issue, it is truly not an issue. It is true that there was a terrible violent crime in nearby Mont Vernon, it's very close to Wilton and is actually a very similar type community. As a resident of Wilton I can tell you that we were all very saddened by what happened to Kimberly Cates and her daughter in Mont Vernon, many of us attended the vigil in Mont Vernon and we were all stunned and saddened and angry about it. It was a random act of violence.

However, I can truly say that this is probably one of the safest places in this country. I know there will be those that make a joke about that because of the Mont Vernon tragedy but this really is a very, very safe place.

Wilton is located in a quiet location yet not very far from Manchester via 101 or Nashua. Keene is in the other direction and also is not too far for a nice day trip. All in all I chose Wilton for all of the wonderful people, the lovely views and quality of life which is second to none. I give it a big thumbs up!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:22 AM

202 posts, read 505,039 times
Mother to face heroin, child endangerment charges after Salem incident - Monday, Feb. 15, 2010

Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 AM

The Telegraph - Google News Archive Search

Old 03-05-2010, 10:21 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
Are you going to bring up every bad report to "prove" Wilton is a bad town? I think readers get your point: you don't like Wilton; but you're outnumbered by the 1200+ that still live there.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Are you going to bring up every bad report to "prove" Wilton is a bad town? I think readers get your point: you don't like Wilton; but you're outnumbered by the 1200+ that still live there.
It's always a good idea to get another point of view. No place is perfect.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:31 PM

4 posts, read 11,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth03086 View Post
I have lived in Wilton for about four years after living in a city for about 10 years. Wilton has only about 3k residents. It has good schools and a nice private school if that is something you are interested in. High Mowing is the name of the private school. Wilton is also home to a really cool Town Hall theater. The theater is about 150 years old and is located in the same building as the town hall, they show current movies really cheap too! During the holidays the theater plays "It's a Wonderful Life" for free to the public and they only ask people to bring a canned good for the NH food bank. Across the street from the theater is a really cute candy store called Nelson's Candies. They have been in business over 50 years and it's really a charming little place. That is all in the little downtown, but there is also the original town center which is on the West side of Wilton. The old center has a playhouse called Andy's Playhouse. It is for children and teens and is a very creative summer theater. The views from that area of town of the mountains is gorgeous. Crime is not an issue, it is truly not an issue. It is true that there was a terrible violent crime in nearby Mont Vernon, it's very close to Wilton and is actually a very similar type community. As a resident of Wilton I can tell you that we were all very saddened by what happened to Kimberly Cates and her daughter in Mont Vernon, many of us attended the vigil in Mont Vernon and we were all stunned and saddened and angry about it. It was a random act of violence.

However, I can truly say that this is probably one of the safest places in this country. I know there will be those that make a joke about that because of the Mont Vernon tragedy but this really is a very, very safe place.

Wilton is located in a quiet location yet not very far from Manchester via 101 or Nashua. Keene is in the other direction and also is not too far for a nice day trip. All in all I chose Wilton for all of the wonderful people, the lovely views and quality of life which is second to none. I give it a big thumbs up!
Thank you so much! You have given me a clear picture of the town. Thanks to the others also, except the people who have just put a link to a piece of news about a random crime. That doesn't prove anything, you gotta have crime figures (i.e. how many assaults per year) to prove if a town is violent or not.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:57 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
No doubt, that's true... However, when you have to dig back to a 30 year old news article to find a story about the town of Wilton (except of course for the more recent domestic murder and the 130-plant marijuana bust...) well that says something about the town, doesn't it

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
It's always a good idea to get another point of view. No place is perfect.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 6,076 times
Wilton is a quiet, sleepy, low crime town.
Outside of the town center, which unfortunately is "dilapidated post-milltown" in character as opposed to "classic NE quaint" like Amherst, Wilton is mostly rural and middle-to-upper class up in the hills. Farms too.
There aren't really any of your classic orderly family neighborhoods, more just country roads going here and there.
School system is not especially strong.
The town website posts an easy to read police log. The crime here is mostly domestic or random knucklehead type stuff than any concerted criminal element. No muggings, no robberies, very little residential burglary - seems like less so than other towns.
Wilton's too remote for commuting to Boston, and it's a good 45 min to Manchester and the more corporate areas of Nashua.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I once worked in Mt. Vernon and considered moving to Wilton. It is a very nice New England town and AFAK still has operating industry. It did have a quaint movie theater and does have very good resturants from the basic diner to much fancier places. I would be a nice place to just enjoy living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire