Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times

Advertisements

Now THAT'S a great idea! Safe schrooming in your own backyard Wonder if you can get morels started that way (prolly not--would be too good to be true...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNPA View Post
Yuo want a really creative idea, how about culturing mushrooms? They sell dowels that are impregnated with mushroom spores. Simply drill holes in the tree stumps, plug the dowels in and wait. I haven't done it but heard it is easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNPA View Post
Yuo want a really creative idea, how about culturing mushrooms? They sell dowels that are impregnated with mushroom spores. Simply drill holes in the tree stumps, plug the dowels in and wait. I haven't done it but heard it is easy.
Great idea, but since these are pine, white pine, it won't work. In all my uyears I have never seen a white pine form any kind of fungus. Hemplock will, a red patent leather moose antler like shelf fungus, of which I forget the name for the moment. I have used these for fire making, and find then so-so. but nothing of the sort from white pine.

For this idea to work maple and rotting oaks, beech, birches, all so called hard woods is needed. Pine goes to bleached out gray and weathered to a red rot, that supports nothing.

When this type tree is dead it is a wise idea to cut it down because the pine borrer lives on inside. The stump won't support them though.

If this tree happens to be really tall, and you still have access to the top, you could hunt pine pearls, which is fun.

You hunt for pitch pockets way up high and once you find a blister nick it open. This is pretty sticky work, but the pearls are way cool. They can be used as beads. Pretty much these are made the same way real pearls are.

Something attacks the tree, and the tree tries to kill it. A round bit of cambium breaks off under the outter bark and it spins and hardens into a wooden bead not perfect, but close. Not all pines have these, not even in the same lot.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 PM

72 posts, read 195,808 times
Yeah, forgot it was pine. Hardwoods certainly for growing mushrooms. BTW Morels can be done too, but I believe the process is more difficult. There are websites that sell packages for raising different types of great mushrooms pretty easily.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 AM

909 posts, read 3,363,413 times
Rats, for a sec I was rubbing my hands at the thought of mushrooms. I LOVE mushrooms. We have only one hardwood in the lot. Dh was thinking of turning that into a seat or totem pole because it's in a good spot. Most of the stumps will be taken away because if we want law it doesn't make sense to have stumps all over. But there is a huge twin pine right next to the driveway, in an island where we already have bushes, and we thought it might be fun to turn that into something.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
If cash is no problem I know an artist that could carve these to anything you want in living detail right down to the last stitch. He lives in Tuftonboro, but he is good, and knows it, so not exactly cheap. He is flexible in that he will travel, when he can't brind the object to carve home, which of course he prefers.

Yeah, some stumps should come out, if you want lawn. That can be pricey too, for a day with a fairly large excavator needed, but is worth it, when there is several or more stumps needing to be gone. We had this done here for around 12 really big stumps in the way. All were better than 4 feet in diameter, and it took the operator all day. I did another with a back hoe on a bob cat, a much smaller unit, and that took me the better part of 2 days. I wouldn't even attempt such a thing with a stupid stick. (shovel)

Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Find 2 that are 10 or so feet apart, leave them sticking out of the ground 5 feet or so, and use them as hammock supports and if there's another one within reaching distance, make it into a table to keep your umbrella drink! on....

Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Find 2 that are 10 or so feet apart, leave them sticking out of the ground 5 feet or so, and use them as hammock supports and if there's another one within reaching distance, make it into a table to keep your umbrella drink! on....
Heyyyyyyy, now there's an idea! I will tuck that away, thanks!

Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 PM

369 posts, read 964,468 times
As far as the stumps go have a chainsaw carver come in and spread some whimsy around.

The wood might be a little big for what I normally do, but take a look at my album to get an idea of what can be done with smaller stock.

There's an artist by the name of George Nakashima who does womders with large slabs. He did a lot of work with "live edge" slabs.
Attached Thumbnails
For fun, please suggest creative ideas for tree stumps-conoid-bench-1984.jpg   For fun, please suggest creative ideas for tree stumps-slab-coffee-table-1956.jpg   For fun, please suggest creative ideas for tree stumps-end-table-stool-1961.jpg  

Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
wow, Mr Twigg, I love those!

Old 03-20-2010, 05:05 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,417 times
A forest full of Gnome Homes!

For fun, please suggest creative ideas for tree stumps-gnomehome.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire