U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:55 PM

10,093 posts, read 20,955,206 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever travel up to northern most NH around Pittsburg? I see there are lakes up there (and moose I'm sure). What is it like up there? Did you enjoy it? I like camping and the outdoors and uncrowded places so it sounds like it would be up my alley, worth the drive? How are the lakes for swimming?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 PM

23,380 posts, read 40,510,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Anybody ever travel up to northern most NH around Pittsburg? I see there are lakes up there (and moose I'm sure). What is it like up there? Did you enjoy it? I like camping and the outdoors and uncrowded places so it sounds like it would be up my alley, worth the drive? How are the lakes for swimming?
Lake Francis State Park in Pittsburg is nice. Colebrook has some shops along Main Street along with a French bakery. The backroads are fun to drive on-particularly Stewartstown Hollow road- highway 145. Pittsburg has an enormous land area with lots of old logging roads to explore. I ate at a restaurant right off highway 2 in Pittsburg, but I forget the name. The food was good and it was warm inside with the woodstoves going.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-20-2010 at 06:03 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 05:09 AM

41,478 posts, read 55,656,964 times
There is an interesting old time lodge called, IIRC, the Black Lake Lodge North of Pittsburg on Rt 3. The entire area is woods, camping and some of the best fishing in NH.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:23 PM

10,093 posts, read 20,955,206 times
worth the drive up?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,877,588 times
Well worth the drive. Beautiful area.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 PM

23,380 posts, read 40,510,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
worth the drive up?
Also make sure to take highway 26 east of Colebrook to Dixville Notch (Balsams Resort). No other setting like it in the lower 48 that I know of.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:00 PM

5,786 posts, read 13,058,556 times
My new bride and I came this > < close to staying at the Balsams on our honeymoon years ago, but they were closed at the time for renovations. I agree with you, GraniteStater that Dixville Notch is, quite simply, unparalleled. Since then we've been through there a dozen times or so and it is always a joy.

My parents had a phone number very similar to the Balsams and would often get calls meant for the resort. Someone would invariably ask for the chef or the head or some other department and my dad, in his best business demeanor, would say hold on please ... and hand the phone to my mother. They kept the phone number pasted on the refrigerator for years in anticipation of such events.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:52 PM

19,023 posts, read 24,220,680 times
yup. do look out hard for moose. If you hit one it will ruin yer day and what ever you are driving. Bring a canoe if you can. Bring foul weatha' gear too!

Old 08-22-2010, 12:55 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,877,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
yup. do look out hard for moose. If you hit one it will ruin yer day and what ever you are driving. Bring a canoe if you can. Bring foul weatha' gear too!
Excellent advice.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 24,220,680 times
Well, I live in moose country. A few don'ts are don't get out and walk up to a moose even if other people are. All I can so is if you ignor this and do, then be ready to brace yerself. There is no running away.

Don't tailgate other cars no matter what. If you are going 50 mph and are not about 150 feet behind the vehical ahead of you you will hit if it hits a moose. I know because i did it. I laid down 81.5 measured of rubber with my Kawii Nomad last year and hit the jeep.

With ease i could have passed right around that jeep to stop directly in the moose's path. I chose to hit that jeep.

Since i live here and look and have a few other rules i saw something, and to me something means a moose at night. The jeep driver never saw that moose, never hit his brakes and had no idea what stopped him RIGHT NOW fast. He hiot that moose and the jeep didn't go another 6 inches. BAM stopped right now fast.

My error was thinking about where i was was good enough. I found out for the cost a ft fender I was WRONG. I was very lucky to have been alert and to have nearly stopped. So only the fender was ruined and not so bad i can't fix it.

The jeep on the other hand was a totra wreck, could not ever again be driven or even fixed. The roof was 4 inches or so off the dash, for one main thing, not to mention forward of there.

I could go on real long about this, but won't for now any way.

I have been in that area seeking moose and found 16 in a day, and gone home. See lots of other critters too like deer, bear yotes and birds big ones.
Camera. bring a camera or more than one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire