U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM

16 posts, read 33,817 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I'll start researching those, I know it would be a lot harder to find a place if it weren't for people like you and I really appreciate it. One thing that works in my favor is it's companies have a legal obligation to make sure the defrost and heater are working in a commercial vehicle...not so with an air conditioner lol. At any rate, I can hack it, again, thank you for the response.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,143,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua2010 View Post
I spent two winters working outside in North Dakota near Minot. It got pretty chilly, higher elevations northern Wyoming as well. The worse part there is the wind.
Until I read your last post I was going to recommend you come up to Western ND and drive in the oil fields here. Guess you've been here, done that. Doesn't seem to be any shortage of oil field jobs here, though, and it appears the pay is tremendous. I doubt you'll find anything like that in NH. There's no recession here in ND.

ND was kindly recommended to me by the USAF as a place I should check out, and I would have had a hard time turning it down. I leave next year, and it won't be soon enough for me. I am just not a fan of the northern plains with its lack of trees, mountains, oceans, and the abundance of wind and below zero temps. 30 mph+ winds today - starting to drive me crazy. It makes me appreciate NH all the more. 4.5 years and counting down...

Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 PM

23,041 posts, read 40,110,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Until I read your last post I was going to recommend you come up to Western ND and drive in the oil fields here. Guess you've been here, done that. Doesn't seem to be any shortage of oil field jobs here, though, and it appears the pay is tremendous. I doubt you'll find anything like that in NH. There's no recession here in ND.

ND was kindly recommended to me by the USAF as a place I should check out, and I would have had a hard time turning it down. I leave next year, and it won't be soon enough for me. I am just not a fan of the northern plains with its lack of trees, mountains, oceans, and the abundance of wind and below zero temps. 30 mph+ winds today - starting to drive me crazy. It makes me appreciate NH all the more. 4.5 years and counting down...
The wind never used to bother me when I was younger. When I got older it really started getting to me along with the browness during the winter out on the Plains. I prefer living east of the Mississippi River if I have a choice. I like lots of greenery, dense woods, and humidity. A place like Denver or Phoenix would be a horrible fit for me. 12 inches of precipitation a year. Yikes.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 PM

I don't have anything against North Dakota, I may end up in that area. I heard they were hiring out of Ross to work down around Dickinson. My cousin actually did really well for himself up there, apparently his ex wife has a $300,000 house in Montana, he built up a company and sold out for a cool 4.5 million or so. If I end up working out of North Dakota it would be so I could make enough money to buy a home somewhere else later on down the road because the toll of the weather and the work you know, but ya, I'm not ruling anything out.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 24,106,527 times
Wind you say? We got wind. i just got back from a run down to Portsmouth, and everyone was blown all whichy way across the lanes. It was spittin snow too.

yeah I do like Lancaster, and that area Littleton, Colebrook, just never got to live there. A lot of country between VT and Plymouth is rugged and rural too.

You won't really need AC here.. But ya might need bug dope, and we got bear, which in a week I have seen 8, like this last and part of this week, and moose are coming back big time. They are big enough to cripple a rig. They are plenty big enough to crush a jeep Cherrokee hard top SUV. I know thats a fact because last August I hit a jeep just like that on my bike, and bashed the fender. Moose stop a SUV Right NOW.

Monday before last we had house guests from 'away'. I took them up the Kanc (National Forest Road) I said, This is about Moose country at a point, and a side long glance and there was one. So I said, and there's one right now..... Saw 4 of the bears that day too. Next day walking in the dooryard. 1/2 mile our driveay A bear about 2 charged us. Just a dumb little 2 year old cub thinkin he is somebody. I calnly mentioned here comes a bear...to my wife....

Day or so later, i go to see about some balsum fir trees I want for tent poles, and see 2 more ridin the bike, up in Wonalancet.

In winta', whatcha need is a full time night woman...

Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM

I think i have secured a position in the oil field actually, from what they said I should be getting around 80,000 a year with all the overtime so I'll just go with it for now, mainly because they were good enough to hire me lol. If I drove over the road, I'd have to drive through NYC I'm guessing. I'm just a little intimidated because of how much congestion and the degree of difficulty it would take ot navigate it in a commercial vehicle. It's all good, I'll go make some money and take a trip up there and check it out sometime. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,143,045 times
Come join the party!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 30,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I'm going to be blunt here and Berlin sucks ass. I don't know of a single person that likes it.
Oh really Aptor? I guess you do not know what the hell you are talking about. Berlin does NOT suck ass and there are hundreds of people who LOVE living here in Berlin NH.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:23 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,182,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker0369 View Post
Oh really Aptor? I guess you do not know what the hell you are talking about. Berlin does NOT suck ass and there are hundreds of people who LOVE living here in Berlin NH.
Windwalker, don't let Aptor hours get you worked up, she is from away. If you wanted to know something about lattes or shopping she might be useful.

People in Berlin are hard because times there are hard. It's being able to survive there that makes a person a true red blooded Yankee.

Consider yourself lucky that Berlin has a bad rep right now. As soon as people get to liking it, you will be run over with folks from MA, CT and RI moving in and changing everything. A starbucks on every corner, social welfare programs for all, gun control.

Count your blessings my friend.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 AM

477 posts, read 822,242 times
^^^^^ Exactly. People like Aptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire