U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:54 PM

4,550 posts, read 10,964,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
^^^^^ Exactly. People like Aptor.

Yup people like Aptor
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:55 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,377,873 times
The last time I drove through Berlin it did not strike me quite as bad as people made it out to be (not pleasant, either). I lived in a state prior that had an overabundance of dungholes, so perhaps my perspective what a real craphole looks like is skewed.

Berlin seemed a somewhat quaint town that seems to otherwise match NH to a fair degree. A bit dumpy, yeah, but as I drove through it I found myself wondering where the really awful parts were that people complain about.

Saw quite a few pieces of land there pretty cheap there, too... which is nice.... Also a Walmart close by which always good in my book (not so much in other peoples equation). It looked economically depressed to some degree, but where there is a town, there are usually jobs to be found one way or another.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 24,113,512 times
Berlin needs new people that have money and brains. It can rise from the ashes. Last time I passed thru it was a mess. There are lots of places to go where there isn't a mess.

A fedral pen isn't going to exactly draw tourists either, but with the right people, the place can be changed. My fears are more based on what's in the ground and in the river. That will be hard to get cleaned up. Old industrail age paper mills created a lot of real nasty stuff, and i don't care what anyone says about that. I have seen it with my own eyes and saw plenty as a well lad when gramps was a paper man. What he and others did to the Great Nawth Woods is a sin.

Things are better than they were but digging old stuff up isn't hard to do, and then the problems start all over again.

Back in the day the rivers were the dump. Every farm of age had the dump just down stream, and all factories did to. I know places where there is riverside beaches today, that are right on top of dumps. Maybe new sand makes it all better eh? I don't think so.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 AM

3,163 posts, read 4,682,930 times
Heres my take on Berlin. My mother is from there. I grew up in NY. But I have spent many days overall through the years in Berlin. Berlin is really going through a tough time right now, but the people are really nice. My family owns Santa's village for those of you who know NH. Since the papermill closed down, economically Berlin has struggled. My uncle will move when his mother dies. My grandma is 88, so that could be anytime. He has struggled getting permanent employment due to the economic woes. If it weren't for that he would live in Berlin the rest of his life. Berlin is great for outdoorsy people. He owns a log cabin in the woods about five miles from Berlin. In the winter he lives with his mum right in the heart of Berlin on York street. My mother met my dad in the service over forty years ago and when they married and got out of the service they at first tried living in Berlin. I lived in Berlin when I was one and two. We moved because my father was used to a much larger city. However, I always have said that I wouldn't have minded growing up there. It seemed like a very nice place to live.

A lot has changed though. When my mother grew up, she spent half of the day doing school in french and the other half in english. Most people in Berlin over the age of 50 speak french better than they do english. It's rare in that regard. Not to many places like that left.

You used to have this god awful rotten egg smell from the paper mill that is no longer there. I've noticed over the years the people have gotten a little meaner. The last time I was there two years ago, I was walking down the street and a bunch of kids were yelling foul crap to me as they drove by. Obviously they must have known I wasn't from there. If you are an outsider it would take time to fit in. It's just the way it is. It's not that the people are bad. I think someone said it best, with hard economic times comes a change in attitude. My uncle worked on the pipeline for a while but work is hard to come by. He has lost many friends in the last couple of years, he's fifty five and his only reason for staying at this point is his mother.

There are not many minorities in this town. When I say not many, I mean you can practically count them on one hand. That is only as of recently due to the prison. Plus some little firebub was going around town burning down buildings. A good portion of downtown is gone from Arson. They caught the little son of a bit*&. Thank god. Other than that Berlin is a nice place. Definately unigue. When my mom goes to visit (she's lived in NY state over forty years now) people still remember her. She says that she can't remember most of them though. Her maiden name is Dubois. If you are from their you most likely know my family. Her father owned a dry cleaning business for years. My gramp died years ago. My uncle is Buck. Loves to fish and hunt. If you are from there, there is a good chance that you know some of my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire