Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 04:29 AM

3 posts, read 11,390 times

Advertisements

I am interested in relocating to Thornton, NH but may also consider Campton, NH. My timeline would be sometime by this year's end as soon as I get kids settled in college and have sold my home.

For starters I do not plan to buy a home or condo and plan instead to rent/lease a place until I figure out exactly in this area, where I want to settle down and what type of property to invest in. Therefore, I have a few questions:

1. What are the prospects for rentals in this area?
2. I've been a college administrator for many years, so aside from Plymouth State U and Dartmouth, where else might I find good job prospects?
3. I am single and wondered too about socializing in these areas?

I am excited about moving to this area as it will afford me a much anticipated change in lifestyle and opportunities for outdoor pursuits though I realize that I will likely take a considerable cut in salary from what I make here in Boston. Still, I feel it will be really worth it overall as my quality of life will increase significantly.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times
Hi Hiker - I can't really answer your questions, but this post looked so lonely!

I did google rentals Thornton, NH and it seems there is an apartment complex there. Also, if you go to the main city-data page, and type in Thornton it will give you info on that area.

Hopefully someone who knows the area will be on later on!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
Hi Hiker - I can't really answer your questions, but this post looked so lonely!
Thanks Windchimes!

I haven't even moved yet and I am lonely already!

I guess no one knows Thornton on this forum...Campton is my 2nd choice and a neighboring town. Any thoughts about Campton?

Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,813 times
Lightbulb Hello Hikeramiga! Do Not Worry!

HELLO HIKERAMIGA!

I have NOT moved to NH YET So, I am NOT able to help you that much! ! SORRY! BUT DO NOT WORRY!!!!
You can check Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS (http://www.NNEREN.Com - broken link) for properties in Northern New England.
And you can also check Apartments for Rent and Homes for Rent . Also REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale tends to have rentals as well as properties for sale.
However, I can tell you that there are many helpful people on this forum! They typically respond quickly & with lots of detailed information!!!! However, its JUNE, children probably finished school, and people probably have more on their hands, and or they are on vacation!
DO NOT FEEL LONELY! THEY ALWAYS COME AND HELP OUT in every way possible! So, HANG IN THERE! And keep checking the forum! These are very helpful & nice people! NEW ENGLAND IS GREAT! And NH is amazing!
In the WINTER they are ON all the time! So its probably the time of the year!
Anyway, I will look up other web sites that might help you out and post them up later.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU WITH YOUR MOVE! And HANG IN THERE!
Take care,
Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeramiga View Post
Thanks Windchimes!

I guess no one knows Thornton on this forum...Campton is my 2nd choice and a neighboring town. Any thoughts about Campton?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:21 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times
Quote:
Thanks Windchimes!

Hi again Hiker - again, I know nothing about Campton, so I can't help you there, but - don't feel lonely...confused is okay..heck I'm STILL confused! ...but don't feel lonely. When you say you're lonely already - is it because of the lack of responses or because you won't know anyone in the area?

Old 06-15-2007, 07:19 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Quote:
Don't feel bad, Hiker, no one knows much about New Ipswich either!

Best you can do is google on it and check out all the sites, and if possible go there and drive around and look for basic things like: how far to the nearest bank, grocery store, market, doctor, hardware store, vet (if you have pets), pharmacy, gas station, restaraunts if you eat out a lot... and check the rating sites such as greatschools.net and schoolmatters.com (not perfect since there's a lot about a school that won't show up in rankings, but it's better than a poke in the eye ) if you have school age kids. And of course, decide which are important to have nearby and which you are fine travelling to.

We were trying to decide between two towns that we liked, and it came down to this: one town had many of those conveniences while still retaining it's small town feel, and the other town had absolutley none. Helped us make our decision fairly easily. We don't want to live in a city, but it's nice if you don't have to travel to the nearest one for every single thing (like when you just ran out of bread or milk, or toilet paper!).

Old 06-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,813 times
Thumbs up Hello Hikeramiga!

HELLO HIKERAMIGA!
I thought you could use the following link, it gives you a description of the towns and tax base for each one.

www.nh.gov/index (broken link)

Anyway, I hope & wish you luck with your search!
Take care,
Countrylv22

Quote:
I am interested in relocating to Thornton, NH but may also consider Campton, NH. My timeline would be sometime by this year's end as soon as I get kids settled in college and have sold my home.

For starters I do not plan to buy a home or condo and plan instead to rent/lease a place until I figure out exactly in this area, where I want to settle down and what type of property to invest in. Therefore, I have a few questions:

1. What are the prospects for rentals in this area?
2. I've been a college administrator for many years, so aside from Plymouth State U and Dartmouth, where else might I find good job prospects?
3. I am single and wondered too about socializing in these areas?

I am excited about moving to this area as it will afford me a much anticipated change in lifestyle and opportunities for outdoor pursuits though I realize that I will likely take a considerable cut in salary from what I make here in Boston. Still, I feel it will be really worth it overall as my quality of life will increase significantly.

Thanks for any input!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 AM

I still may not know a lot about the towns I'm interested in (have to continue my research including perusing all the links provided above), but I certainly now know that you guys are the most helpful people I've ever encountered on a forum!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2007, 05:26 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,126 times
Hiker, I don't know much about those towns either, but here are some more links for you.

This site has profiles for all of the towns in New Hampshire. The profiles contain a lot of useful information.
NH Community Profiles (www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/communpro.htm - broken link)

If a town has an official website, it's usually listed in those profiles. The Town of Campton does have a website, but it seems that Thornton does not.
Town of Campton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire