Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:09 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Please tell me about living in the Lakes Region of NH. More conservative or Liberal? Cost of living? Taxes. are there jobs up there? Do most commute? If so, to where ? Concord? How is the crime rate in the Lakes Region? Overall how is the Lakes Region for raising a family?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 02:28 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,579 times
The Lakes region has a really high percentage of second home owners, which tends to drive up housing prices. The good news is that they pay property tax but don't use many services (schools), so they tend to keep property taxes lower than they are in southern NH. You can check each town's website for its rates. These towns can be very bustling or even over-crowded during the summer, and then feel a bit deserted over the winter. Some businesses close in the fall and don't reopen until summer. This isn't good or bad, but without visiting on BOTH a sunny Saturday in August AND a Monday in January you won't have an accurate picture of life in that town.

Without knowing your career it's impossible to say what your options would be. Many full-time residents of the Lakes region are retired. Professionals in this area often do commute, and commute all over - to the Seacoast or wherever they find work. I've even heard of people who drive all the way to Boston once or twice a week, but in my opinion this would be awful. The reality is that many people who aren't retired will be working service jobs or have jobs that allow them to work from home. There certainly aren't tons of options here or in any rural area.

Crime is not something I would worry about anywhere in the Lakes region. Re politics, depends on the town and the people you happen to meet. Large groups of people moving in from out of state probably do have an effect, but this is true almost everywhere in NH that's had an influx, whether the influx is of young professionals in southern and Coastal NH or of elderly retirees further north. Some towns are more socially liberal than others, but that's really hard to interpret from afar. Again, I think you'd have to target a few towns and then research their taxes and spending, talk to people on the street, etc to get any kind of accurate feel for the local philosophy.

Whether it's good for families depends on what you consider good for families. Commuting can be rough since it means time away from the family. Long winters without a lot going on can be isolating. Not having lots of other young families around (true in certain towns, not in others) can be lonely for kids and parents and doesn't always correlate with the best educational opportunities. On the other hand, it's absolutely gorgeous, there's tons to do outside, it's quiet and safe, and small towns have a charm all their own. Your call.

Hope that helps. I don't live in the Lakes region but my family does so I'm sure someone else can help more. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:42 AM

34 posts, read 95,352 times
I have been in the town of Wilmot, nh for the last 12 years. The Kearsarge schools are great, the taxes are ok considering we don't have an income tax. We are centrally located to concord 30 min. commute, Dartmouth (35) min . and Tilton 30 min.

What type of work do you do? Lots of hospitals up here, also small business' . The politics varies, what ever your views there are lots of groups to discuss with.

Do you have a town in mind?

Old 06-11-2010, 07:04 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,247 times
Please define 'great' schools.
I am sick to death of people recommending NH schools when most know nothing at all about education beyond the fact that their children leave the house every day and come home later.
What do you know about NH's House Education Committee?

Old 06-11-2010, 08:18 AM

Ok. My experience is with the Kearsarge Regional Elementary school in NL and the middle school. I volunteer at the school 2 x a week and have substituted there as well.
Great is identifying kids who need extra help early so they can excel, great is finding a Vice principal who listens when there is an issue and acts upon it immediately. Great is an active volunteer base and PTO , incredible parental involvement. Great is musicals, Shakespeare productions by students, band concerts, sports and arts programs that have been cut in many schools, but not here. We also test well and have had huge numbers of student who have been accepted into the Johns Hopkins programs. I don't know a lot about NH's Education Committee, I just know what I live and see on a regular basis.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:12 PM

223 posts, read 540,292 times
Lakes Region - lots of summer time traffic jams - very pretty, lots to do and things to do, conservative generally and more $$. A NH tourist mecca.

close enough to concord and manchester for trips but not for daily commute (for most folks)
Again, lots of summer traffic!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:14 AM

I don't know where you get your info. pauloman , but Wilmot is 35 minutes to concord, a reasonable commute for most people. I have never, in 12 years been stuck in a traffic jam, except during construction. Agreed that it is pretty, lots to do. Less conservative than it used to be, due to lots of MA folks moving in.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:04 AM

21 posts, read 56,855 times
Hello! I'll give you what I know to be true. I grew up in the Lakes region. I lived in the town of Wakefield. There is always something to do if you love nature,scenery and outdoorsey things! Summer, you can fish,swim,hike,nascar races,biking,shopping,boatig,jet skiing.Fall time you have all the awesome fairs,festivals,produce markets,folliage,train rides.Winter you have ice races,ice fishing,sking,snowmobileing,sledding,tubing ect and spring cultivates almost anything you can imagine.Schools in Lake region are really good.Taxes are higher in Wolfeboro area and Conway area.Cheaper taxes are more in ossipee & wakefield.Last time I checked taxes were 1500-2000 on a acre in wakefield area. It really depends what you do for work,people travel to Conway,rochester,portsmouth ect which are about 30mins- 45 mins. Wakefield has 7 lakes alone.We lived on pine river pond which is actaully a lake and it's beautful!! If you have an specific questions please feel free to pm me! Enjoy NH...I miss it so much!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Positiveone- I can't send u pm for some reason.It's a pretty conservitive area, Wakefield has K-8 and then the HS is in Rochester & they bus the kids there. There is hardly any crime.Mostly teens who are bored driving thier 4 wheelers and some pot heads...No hardcore drugs that I knew of whatsoever of crime at all....The wildlife causes more ruckus then the people! haha! It's a great area.My parents reloacted to sc & I hate it here I was 20 when they moved & was still living with them so I went with them.I do anything to go back but sc makes you go broke, they pay nothing & charge a good bit for houseing & puts u in a bind. It really is ideal living if u can handle the snow, Great place for Kiddos...best wishes!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 AM

May I add, I lived there my entire life & there is no such thing as a ".traffic jam" in the lakes region...some tourist but thats mainly in conway downtown or wolfeboro down town but still it's never and quote me bumper to bumper...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire