Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 AM

115 posts, read 430,591 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
I need some advice if possible about where I should look to move myself and family to.....we are looking to rent at first. Here is a little background. We use to live in VT before I lost a good job back in 2007 and realised that outside of the university I worked for and a few other companies, there were no jobs in VT. So we left and moved back to PA to be closer to my wife's parents and where I got a job in Baltimore, MD within a few weeks after spending the previous 11 months looking in VT( we were stuck there as we couldn't sell our house). It has always been our intention to return to New England at some point but with both of my wife's parents and grandmother passing away over the last 2 years we decided now would be a good time. Basically, we are moving to New Hampshire but I want to avoid any repeats of VT. By this I mean, if something was to go wrong with my job, I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with no real hope of finding another job like I was in VT. It would make life so much easier if I just lived in Keene (which of course could be a strong possibilty) but those 11 months of despair still haunt me. So what I am looking for, are places I could commute from that people could recommend (no more than 90 minutes away) that are still close enough to commute to Boston if circumstances turned that way.......I just don't want to be put in a situation again where I have to uproot my kids to move for a job.

At the end of the day, I am keeping all my options open including living in or around Keene but would prefer to be closer to Boston if possible. So any advice or opinions on places from Keene to Nashua (including schools if possible) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The only place Keene is near is nowhere. If you want to live and work in NH I suggest look for work in the Nashua/Manchester area or Northern Mass. If your job takes you to Boston you can commute using Boston Express bus service from Manchester to Boston or the bus from Nashua to Boston. If you are considering renting until you place in Vermont sells then I suggest Manchester or the surrounding area. Check the link for realtors in Val C comment.

All the local school systems are first rate but be aware we fund these schools with property taxes so they are probably higher than in Vermont.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 AM

With all due respect Greg, I think you misread my post......I sold my house in VT 2 years ago. I am now coming from PA to work at a job in Keene and was asking where i could live between Keene and Nashua. Thanks anyway for reading my post.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Where could you live between Keene and Nashua while allowing for the possibility for a commute to Boston? Peterborough comes to mind but for the winter commute over the mountain to the Nashua area to get to the bus routes to Boston is almost as difficult as the commute from Peterborough to Keene. Keene is so isolated that you might just want to settle there and hope the job holds. I suggest getting a DeLorme (they should pay me for these tips) Atlas of New Hampshire and look at the area in greater detail.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Hi Greg, thanks for the advice and opinion. You have certainly raised my concerns with regards to Keene. I did speak to a friend of mine who use to live in NH up in Hanover and she suggested that I look west of Keene towards the Vermont state line and I-91 and use Springfield as my back up instead of Boston because the commute from a place like Milford etc to Boston would be a nightmare. Basically, as I said before, I just want to avoid moving my kids if my new job doesn't work out. At the end of the day, I think my job will go really well and I won't have to entertain these ideas but I have always tried to have a back-up plan for the unexpected.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
the problem is, Paddy, that you really can't get there from here easily! So there is no good 1/2way point. Maybe Milford, but it will still be a haul either direction. Have you considered simply living in the Keene area (maybe not right in Keene, where it's more expensive) and deal with moving within state later on should that be necessary? I mean, no one likes having to pack up and move, but... it might still be easier than trying to find something between Keene & Boston that's an easyish commute.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:59 AM

I hear what you say Wanna............and living near Keene maybe the best solution

Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
and good for you for getting away from Baltimore! 2.5 more years for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire