Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:51 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Yeah I was going to say - Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Virginia, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. And they are crossed by New York and Pennsylvania Avenues. Also no New Jersey or Delaware Avenues.

But look at this. Just below 70 along Kings Hwy:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9118...2029,17z?hl=en
Erlton dates back to when Cherry Hill was Delaware Twp. Would you think that those people would want to say that they lived on Delaware Road, Delaware Township? it's just a bit too much Delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 07:12 AM

184 posts, read 370,320 times
Are these street names taken from Monopoly properties? Hence no NJ or DE.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:22 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discndav View Post
Are these street names taken from Monopoly properties? Hence no NJ or DE.
Do you understand that Monopoly was a teaching aid that was developed by Quaker teachers in Atlantic City?

Erlton predates the name change from Delaware Twp. To Cherry Hill.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:23 AM

7 posts, read 11,700 times
When I moved into the new, still building up, Windsor Park neighborhood, a lot of the streets weren’t even paved yet and you could not walk to the John Brainerd elementary school, now Carusi,
this being late 1963. I had to walk all the way to the bus stop on Ramble Road within sight of the tower and close to Chapel pharmacy. Finally, in 1964 or do they built a footpath that traversed the creek and connected the Roosevelt Dr. so you could walk from Ivy Ln. down to the school. They dug a ginormous hole on that corner filled it with trash and covered it up; in 1968 put in a brand new playground complete with a Cherry Hill jet slide, Cherry Hill “stage” monkey bars, swing sets, teeter totters, etc. I always told other kids playing there that we were over a dump, ha ha...
Anyone wishing to write personally do so at address: barney.gilewitz1956@gmail.com. I would
appreciate hearing from anyone who lived there from 1963 to 1974. I moved to Florida in 1970 so
missed out on attending Cherry Hill High West. Too bad cause I had some great friends in the hood.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:45 AM

To bell mark, yes there was an amusement area in the CherryHill mall and it included a small rollercoaster, a spook house, pinball games galore and if I remember correctly a twenty foot statue of a grinning fellow greeting you at the entrance. I probably visited for the first time in 1962 or so cuz the mall was brand new then. We lived in Levittown, now Willingboro, and moved to the new Windsor Park neighborhood in late 1963. Many streets were still unpaved and new homes were still being built all around my locale at Knoll Ln. and Ivy Ln.
One curious experience I had was on the undeveloped corner of Ivy and Roosevelt right after we moved in...a young woman approached my brother and I and told us as newcomers we were expected to behave and not cause any trouble. I was seven and my brother four. Maybe this was an early form of neighborhood watch or the welcome wagon, I don’t know, but the experience stayed with me all these years. Guess it takes a community to help raise a child. These days if an adult approaches a child there could be something sinister afoot, but not in 1963...

Old 10-22-2017, 07:15 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
I had/have several relatives in Cherry Hill, Marlton, and Pennsauken. When I was young in the mid 60's I'd get deposited at by aunt, and uncle's in Cherry Hill on Belle Arbor Drive to play with my cousins for the weekend. We'd play Tether Ball which was something foreign to me being from the western suburbs of Philly, in PA. For some reason, we did not have it in PA. We'd go to the Cherry Hill Mall to the arcade. I totally forgot about that until now! I remember going to the Chapel Hill Pharmacy also!

Old 10-29-2017, 10:50 PM

To Pilot 1
Anybody ever experience a “small world” story like this one: In 1976 I had been away from Cherry Hill for six years and was travelling with my parents through Georgia where we stopped for the evening at a hotel. In the game room I began playing ping pong with my younger brother, Richard, and some other kids who joined in...we didn’t know them - but GET THIS...I started making small talk with them and offhandedly asked where they were from. I told them we were originally from N.J. They replied that they were also from that same state. I continued, we were from Cherry Hill and that’s when they surprised us by saying, “us too”! We told them we lived in Windsor Park and once again they said “us too”!! Then I specifically game them our address as 25 Knoll Ln. and, by gosh
if they didn’t live ONE BLOCK AWAY on Jade Lane...we’d been only a few hundred yards away from their home. We went to the same school, John Brainerd, (now Carusi) and knew some of the same kids...go figure.
If anyone likes this post then please hit the LIKE POSTING so I can build up my points as I am new to this site and have plenty more interesting stories to post...naturally at my advanced age, 61, I’ve
got one or two that should raise eyebrows..Thanks gang...peace, out

Old 10-29-2017, 11:02 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Wherever you go, there you are.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:04 AM

Does anyone recall the new Hot Shoppes restaurant they introduced in the Moorestown Mall in the
late 1960’s? Prior to their grand opening the public was offered a tour of the facility and a walk thru the kitchen area as well. I did some research on that restaurant and discovered they were a large chain originating in Washington,D.C. They apparently had a slew of franchise outlets in the eastern
seaboard but eventually closed every one of em...glad I had the opportunity to have visited one such
establishment. The food was good and I wish they were still around.
Who remembers Mr. Bill’s located around that crazy large interchange near the Cherry Hill mall?
I celebrated my ninth birthday there with a cake in Aug. 1965 cuz it was my fave restaurant. That was also a chain restaurant and I believe there is a Mr. Bill’s II located near the old Chapel pharmacy in the Kings Highway/Chapel Ave. intersection. Didn’t’t that place sport a 20 foot grinning statue that resembles Mad magazine’s goofy mascot Alfred E, Newman? And wasn’nt that the very same figure posted in front of the arcade game area in the Cherry Hill mall?

Old 10-30-2017, 11:24 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,586,681 times
Hot Shoppes were owned by Marriott. I used to go to one that was a drive-in when I was growing up in Philly. The food was brought to your car. You could also eat inside.

There are still a few around the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia