Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:26 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
the coastline was a pit...
*was* is the key word here. Not any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:57 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,121 times
Is the coastline still around? I haven't been "home" to Cherry Hill in years.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:44 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
Is the coastline still around? I haven't been "home" to Cherry Hill in years.
alive and well..

http://www.coastlinerestaurantbar.com/

Old 10-03-2010, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,543 times
Wooooooo cherry hill *****!!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:46 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
My mother worked for years at the Farm. Come to think of it, my high school boyfriend bussed tables there.
I'm going down to Cherry Hill/Blackwood for a long weekend in a couple of weeks. I plan to take a drive to all the places I used to know and am expecting to be stunned at the development.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My mother worked for years at the Farm. Come to think of it, my high school boyfriend bussed tables there.
I'm going down to Cherry Hill/Blackwood for a long weekend in a couple of weeks. I plan to take a drive to all the places I used to know and am expecting to be stunned at the development.
You will be.

Back in the 60s it was still somewhat of a farming community. If you didn't know the town back then, you wouldn't believe how recently some of that land was farmed!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I lived there from 1957 to 1971 and visited several times until 1980.
In 1993, I did drive down to Atco, ate at Olga's and drove past the East high school. Wall-to-wall development, I guess I'm wondering if anything is left of the buildings that showed there had been a past.
My horseriding instructor had moved to Marlton when I was a kid. He used to have a stable right where Ellisburg Circle ended up (is it still a circle?) And I remember the farmer's market that was there.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I lived there from 1957 to 1971 and visited several times until 1980.
In 1993, I did drive down to Atco, ate at Olga's and drove past the East high school. Wall-to-wall development, I guess I'm wondering if anything is left of the buildings that showed there had been a past.
My horseriding instructor had moved to Marlton when I was a kid. He used to have a stable right where Ellisburg Circle ended up (is it still a circle?) And I remember the farmer's market that was there.
Ellisburg Circle is gone. The intersection is now a crossroads of Brace Road, Kings Highway north, & Route 70. They took out Green's (The farmers markjet with the Sunoco pumps when they cut out the circle. They dead-ended Kings Highway on the south of 70 & put through a still un-named connector road from the south end of Kings Highway to Brace. Garwoods/Dales/Pathmark is now empty & for sale. The little drug store next to it on 70 is also empty & for sale. 70 (the road) is in terrible condition.

The Lit Bros. complex is empty again but there's a sign that CVS is going in there.

The bank at the intersection of Sawmill & 70, that looked like Independence Hall, has been torn down.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:03 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times
Did the Echelon Mall ever surpass the Cherry Hill Mall in terms of sales, rents or selection of tenants?

I was looking at GAP's wikipedia page. It is written that Gap opened up the (1st?) East coast store in Voorhees, NJ. Did stores go to Echelon before going into Cherry Hill, and before any other Philadelphia area mall? Perhaps like the King of Prussia before King of Prussia.

I presume for most of its life, Moorestown Mall was treated like a red haired middle stepchild, in the shadow of Cherry Hill Mall, even when ownerships were different.

It would be cool to have a time machine to revisit some of these places, and stretches of highway, to see change over time.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Did the Echelon Mall ever surpass the Cherry Hill Mall in terms of sales, rents or selection of tenants?

I was looking at GAP's wikipedia page. It is written that Gap opened up the (1st?) East coast store in Voorhees, NJ. Did stores go to Echelon before going into Cherry Hill, and before any other Philadelphia area mall? Perhaps like the King of Prussia before King of Prussia.

I presume for most of its life, Moorestown Mall was treated like a red haired middle stepchild, in the shadow of Cherry Hill Mall, even when ownerships were different.

It would be cool to have a time machine to revisit some of these places, and stretches of highway, to see change over time.
The Cherry Hill Mall was great, early on. When Echelon opened, there was a flurry of activity, followed by it becoming the hang out of choice for teenagers. The mall tended to cater to them, & I lost interest quickly.

Moorestown Mall was sort of the odd-duck, literally & figuratively. They had ponds in the mall & ducks swimming in the ponds.

About the time that Gimbels closed in the Moorestown Mall & was replaced by Ports of the World (a division of Boscov's) Macys discontinued their Bambergers Division. I loved shopping at Bambergers & hated shopping at Macy's, so I switched malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia